Tired of seeing Access denied – Error 1020 on ChatGPT?
ChatGPT is a chatbot by OpenAI that has taken over the internet by storm over recent months. It lets users access AI and provides guided responses to unlimited prompts. Due to its increasing popularity, many users have reported several issues and bugs within the software.
One common issue faced on ChatGPT is the Access Denied – Error 1020. This error usually occurs due to system overload, incorrect login credentials, or permission issues. However, you can quickly get past this error by multiple troubleshooting fixes mentioned below in this guide.
So, let’s get started!
1. Check ChatGPT Permissions.
Most of the time, the Access denied – Error 1020 on ChatGPT is due to inadequate permissions. If you’re trying to access the platform with ‘read-only’ permission, you cannot change the data. However, if you have given all permissions, you will be able to view as well as modify data accordingly.
To fix this issue, check your current permissions from the admin and modify them, if necessary. Once done, head back to ChatGPT and see if you can access it without any problem.
2. Try Another Browser or Refresh the Page.
As the error 1020 on ChatGPT may also appear due to overloaded servers and a daily limit to service, a quick and effective method is to switch to a different browser. As you do so, the error occurring due to overcrowding of the servers will be fixed on your end.
Sometimes, all you need to do is refresh the page to quickly fix various ChatGPT errors. So, if you’ve changed your browser but still can’t use ChatGPT because of error 1020, consider refreshing the page and trying again.
3. Check Log-In Credentials.
Providing incorrect login details on ChatGPT may also result in the Access denied – Error 1020. If you believe that you can’t access ChatGPT due to either an incorrect username or password, consider changing it to solve the stated issue.
Here’s how to do so:
- Start by selecting Log out from the left sidebar of the screen.
- Once logged out, click on Forgot password from the login page to reset your password.
- After your password has been reset, enter your updated credentials on the ChatGPT login page. Ensure that you have typed everything correctly and click on Log in.
This should resolve the error 1020 on ChatGPT.
4. Enable or Disable the VPN.
It may be possible that you’re trying to access ChatGPT from a blocked location or domain. The error may also occur if you unintentionally use ChatGPT with an enabled VPN. In both of these situations, either enabling or disabling the VPN will successfully solve your problem.
Here’s what you must do if you wish to enable VPN to gain access to ChatGPT:
- Once installed, open the program and connect to the VPN.
- Then, launch a browser and go to the ChatGPT page. By using this method, you should access it without any problem.
On the other hand, if you were using VPN when the error occurred, turn it off and see if that fixes the error 1020.
5. Clear ChatGPT Browsing Data.
The browser site data and cookies permissions can sometimes interfere with the ChatGPT website, resulting in the Access denied – Error 1020. Hence, it’s recommended that you clear out the browsing cookies from time to time to prevent any issues.
Here’s what you must do:
- Go to the preferred browser, we’ll be using Google Chrome for this guide.
- Next, click on the three vertical dots from the top-right corner and choose Settings.
- Click on Privacy and security from the left pane.
- Select Cookies and other site data and click on See all site data and permissions.
- In the search bar, type in ‘Openai’ to view all the cookies about ChatGPT.
- Click on the trash icon next to openai.com from the search results.
- From the confirmation prompt that appears, select Clear to remove all the cookies and site data.
After you’re done, head over to ChatGPT and see if you’re still facing the same error.
6. Disable Google Chrome Extensions.
Google Chrome Extensions sometimes tend to block various websites from running successfully, as may be the case with ChatGPT. So, if you could not overcome the error 1020 on ChatGPT, we suggest you disable all the extensions for a while and see if that resolves the problem.
Follow the steps below:
- From the browser, select the three vertical dots.
- Click on More tools and choose Extensions.
- Once the Extensions page opens in a new tab, turn off the toggle for each extension individually.
You should be able to use ChatGPT without any errors now.
7. Reset the IP Address and Flush DNS.
Resetting the router may assign you the same IP address, which doesn’t resolve network issues, a potential cause in your case. Fortunately, you can manually refresh it by requesting a new IP address.
- Press the Win + R keys to launch the Run box.
- Enter ‘cmd’ in the search field and press the Control + Shift + Enter keys to launch Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Paste the following commands one by one and press the Enter key after each:
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
- Now, go to the Start menu and type in ‘control panel’ in the search bar, and select the same from the search results.
- From the left sidebar, select Network and Internet and click on Network and Sharing Center.
- After that, right-click on your Wi-Fi network and click on Properties.
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select Properties.
- Then, click on the Use the following DNS server addresses option.
- Enter 8888 for the Preferred DNS server option and set the Alternate DNS server to 8844.
- Lastly, click on OK to save these changes.
After the DNS servers have been reset, go back to ChatGPT and check if the access denied error is fixed or not.
8. Contact OpenAI Support Team.
If you’ve been unsuccessful in getting the ChatGPT to work even after following all the methods mentioned in this guide, your last resort is to contact the OpenAI Support Team. Simply log in to your account and click on Help. Inform them of the error you’re facing while accessing ChatGPT.
If you can’t even log in, head over to help.openai.com, and select the Chat bubble icon from the bottom-right corner to contact OpenAI Support.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix Access denied – Error 1020 on ChatGPT. If you have further questions or confusion, reach out to us in the comments section below. We’ll be happy to provide further assistance.
If this guide helped you, please share it.