Are you wondering how to add Disney Plus to Roku?
Since Disney officially announced that their streaming service would be made available on the Roku platform, many users have been itching to figure out how they can get Disney Plus onto their Roku devices.
Well, luckily for you, we’ve managed to install Disney Plus onto our own Roku device, and the following are the steps which we’ve observed to adding it. We also address many of the frequently asked questions (FAQs) as well below, which may also help address some of the doubts you may have 🙂
Sounds good? Let’s dive right in!
How to Add Disney Plus to Roku: 7 Steps
- First and foremost make sure that you’ve already fully set up your Roku device or Roku TV as well as that it is fully updated. If you haven’t set up your Roku device and you’ve only just got it, then here’s a great guide on how to get it up and running. Roku also provides a guide on how to update your Roku device to the latest version, which will be useful when trying to add Disney Plus app to Roku.
- Next, go ahead and power on your Roku device (if it is not turned on). Once you’re on the Roku home screen, look for the Streaming Channels option on the home screen.
- Now select Search. This will bring up an on-screen keyboard which you can type into the Roku search.
- So what do we search for? Well, you want to get Disney Plus, don’t you? Hence that is what you type: Disney Plus.
- You should find the search results will bring up the Disney Plus option from the menu on the right. Select the Disney Plus option.
- Now select the option to Add channel. This will take a minute or two to download and install the Disney Plus app onto your Roku.
- Lastly, hit OK once the process is complete. You’re done! Let’s launch our new Disney Plus app. Go back into your Roku’s Home screen, and you should find that our newly added Disney Plus will be in your Channels list. From here, you can open it or even rearrange it around to your comfort.
Help! I Can’t Find Disney Plus in My Roku Store?
If you’re unable to obtain the Disney Plus app from within the Roku Store on your Roku device, then try heading over to the Roku Web Store here and then add the Disney Plus app remotely from here.
When adding remotely, you will have to log in to the same Roku account that you’ve registered on your device. If you have not registered for a Roku account, then you may sign up for a new one here and then use these same credentials on your Roku device.
Disney Plus Supported Roku Devices List
Not sure if your Roku device will support Disney Plus? Here’s the list of all supported Roku devices:
- Roku 4: 4670X, 4662X, 4661X, 4660X, 4640X, 4630X, 4620X, 4400X, 4230X, 4210X, 4200X
- Roku 3: 3931X, 3930X, 3921X, 3920X, 3910X, 3900X, 3811X, 3810X, 3800X, 3710X, 3700X, 3600X, 3500X
- Roku 2: 2720X, 2710X, 2700X
- All Roku TVs
Take note that if you’ve purchased a Roku in the last six years, then you’re good to proceed and download Disney Plus on the device. Although if you’re using a Roku 1, you will need to upgrade to a newer version. We have listed down below all the Roku models that do not support Disney Plus.
Roku Devices That Don’t Work With Disney Plus
The following Roku devices will not work with Disney Plus:
Roku Streaming Stick 3400X, 3420X, Roku HD 2500X, Roku 2 HD 3000X, 3050X, Roku 2 XS 3100X, Roku LT 2400X, 2450X.
If you have one of the listed Roku devices, then consider going for any other Roku devices that are listed in this guide. We’ve provided our recommendation below which also supports Disney Plus 4K streaming.
Does It Matter Which Roku Device You Get for Disney Plus?
No. It doesn’t matter which Roku streaming device you have since all of the Roku models which we’ve listed above will work with Disney Plus.
Both Roku and Disney+ officially state this. However, since more and more services are supporting 4K streaming starting from the year 2020, you will want to future-proof your Roku for it, especially if you’ve already got a 4K TV.
There are only four Roku devices that do support 4K for Disney Plus:
- Roku 4
- Roku Premiere
- Roku Premiere+
- Roku Ultra
Our recommendation: Roku Ultra
Roku Ultra on AmazonRoku Ultra supports 4K HDR movies and TV shows all at just a cost of $89. It works exceptionally to stream Netflix, Hulu, Disney+ or if you have content from Google Play Movies and TV. The device also comes with support for headphones, remote finder, gaming buttons, headphone jack as well as microSD/USB/Ethernet ports, all of which are inclusive. Most importantly it’s support for Ethernet 10/100 which is lacklustre on the other models allows it stream content at faster and smoother without much delay.
Help! What Do I Do When Disney plus Is Not Working on Roku?
As long as you’re Roku device is not in the no-longer-working list which we’ve listed above. Most likely, the issue will be either an incorrect setup process (unlikely) or your internet connectivity issues (most likely).
We have written a complete, definitive guide on what you should do if you’re experiencing buffering issues or if the streams are not working with Disney Plus on your Roku: How To Fix Buffering Playback Issues with Disney Plus.
Take note that you’re internet speeds will require to meet the minimum 5Mbps connection to stream in the lowest resolution, and 15Mbps for 4K. Ensure that your home internet Wi-Fi is capable of those speeds first with your ISP.
If you already under such a package, then try restarting your internet router and then unplugging your Roku device. Wait around 10-20 seconds and then plug your Roku device back in.
Additionally, make sure you’re on the latest version of Roku on your Roku device. To update your hop onto your Roku > Roku Home > Settings > select System > select System Update > select Check Now. If there are any pending updates, proceed to download and install them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂