Can’t figure out why Amazon Prime is not playing HD on your browser?
Amazon Prime is one of the most popular streaming services out there. It has over 200 million subscribers and offers HD and Ultra HD movies and TV shows.
However, watching HD movies on Amazon Prime or any streaming service needs a fast and stable internet connection. If you’re trying to stream movies using mobile data, you might struggle to get it to play on HD or UHD.
Unfortunately, some users encounter playback issues on Amazon Prime despite having a fast internet connection.
Based on the reports, shows on Amazon Prime only play in SD quality when streaming using a web browser. This could ruin your experience if you’re using a 1080P or higher monitor, which causes movies and shows to be blurred.
Usually, this problem occurs due to improper browser configurations. On the other hand, it can also be due to server outages, unstable network connections, or corrupted data.
In this guide, we will show you how to fix Amazon Prime Video if it’s not playing HD shows on your browser.
Let’s get started!
1. Check Amazon Prime Servers.
When you encounter issues on Amazon Prime, the first thing you should do is check the platform’s servers. Since Amazon Prime is an online service, it relies on its servers to deliver content and features.
You can use third-party sites like Downdetector, where you can view Amazon Prime Video’s current status.
If there are reported problems on the platform, the best thing to do is wait since server-related errors can’t be resolved on your end. On the other hand, you can head to the next solution if Amazon Prime’s servers are online.
2. Restart Your Computer.
Before tweaking your system configurations, try restarting your computer first if you can’t stream HD shows on Amazon Prime using your browser. This should reload your system resources and eliminate temporary bugs and glitches on your computer.
For Windows users, check out the steps below to restart it:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- Next, access the Power Options tab.
- Finally, choose Restart to reboot your system.
On macOS computers, here’s how you can restart it:
- Access the Apple Menu by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your display.
- Now, choose the Restart option from the pop-up menu.
- Lastly, click Restart again to confirm your action.
Once done, go back to Amazon Prime to check if the problem is solved.
3. Check Your Network Connection.
Amazon Prime automatically adjusts your stream quality depending on the quality of your network. If you can’t play movies and TV shows in HD quality, it might indicate an issue with your connection.
To confirm this, perform a test using Fast.com to measure your network’s upload and download bandwidth.
If the test confirms that your network is the problem, restart your modem or router to re-establish the link with your ISP’s servers. Unplug your router from the outlet and wait for 5 to 10 seconds before reconnecting it.
Once done, re-run the test to check if the problem is solved. If not, contact your service provider and ask them to fix the issue.
4. Your Device Might Not Support HD Playback.
If you are using an old device, there’s a good chance that it does not support HD browser playbacks. To confirm this, check your display’s specification and ensure that it supports 1080P or higher.
If not, it means that your device can only stream up to 720P. For desktop computers, use a 1080P monitor to stream HD shows on Amazon Prime.
5. Update Your Drivers (Windows).
Outdated or faulty display drivers could also cause playback issues on Amazon Prime. If you can’t stream HD shows on your Windows computer, we recommend updating your display drivers.
Check out the steps below to update your drivers:
- On your computer, press the Windows + X keys to access the Quick Menu.
- Next, click on Device Manager to launch it.
- Expand the Display Adapters tab and right-click on your video card.
- Finally, choose the Update Driver option and follow the on-screen prompts.
Go back to Amazon Prime’s website afterward and check if the problem is solved.
6. Update Your System.
The current version of your operating system might have an underlying issue that prevents HD streaming on Amazon Prime. To rule this out, update your system to the latest version possible to patch bugs and glitches.
- First, press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard.
- After that, go to Windows Update from the side menu.
- Lastly, click Download & Install to update your computer.
- Go to the Apple Menu by pressing the Apple icon in the upper left corner of your screen.
- Next, click on System Preferences and access the Software Update tab.
- Finally, click on Update Now to install the latest version of macOS.
Restart your system after the update and check if you can stream HD shows on Amazon Prime.
7. Contact Amazon Prime.
If none of the solutions above worked for you, we recommend letting the professionals handle the situation.
Go to Amazon Prime’s Support page and contact their team to report the issue you’ve been experiencing on the platform. Provide the model or specifications of your device, your account details, and other necessary details to make it easier for Amazon’s team to address the problem.
That wraps up our guide for fixing Amazon Prime if it’s not playing HD shows on your browser. If you have questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂