Wondering why Amazon Prime Video is not working on your Apple TV?
Prime Video provides a diverse selection of movies and TV shows for your enjoyment. Not being able to watch these on a larger screen can impact your immersive viewing experience.
If you are here, chances are that your Prime Video is not working on your Apple TV.
In this guide, we’ve compiled the best solutions to get your Prime Video back up and running.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check Prime Video Servers.
Being an online service, Prime Video relies on its servers to deliver content. If there are issues with Amazon’s system, you may experience problems with the app.
You can use third-party sites like Downdetector to check for system outages.
Sadly, server-related issues can’t be resolved on your end. If Prime Video is currently down, the only thing you can do is wait.
On the other hand, you can head to the next step if there’s nothing wrong with the service.
2. Restart Your Apple TV.
Restarting your Apple TV is a good place to start when troubleshooting issues. Not only will this reload your resources, but it will also clear unwanted and corrupted data from the memory.
This ensures that there are no temporary bugs or errors within your system.
With Siri Remote / Apple TV Remote (2nd generation or later):
- Hold down the Back + TV/Control Center buttons on your Apple TV Remote.
- Let go of the buttons once the light on your Apple TV flashes.
If you’re using a Siri Remote / Apple TV Remote (1st generation):
- Hold down the Menu + TV/Control Center buttons on your remote.
- Release the buttons once the light indicator on your Apple TV flashes.
For Apple Remote (aluminum or white):
- Press and hold the Menu + Down buttons on your remote.
- Let go of the buttons once the light on your device flashes.
Go back to Prime Video afterward and check if the problem is solved.
3. Check Your Subscription.
While some titles can be purchased or rented from Prime Video, most users access it with their Prime Video subscription or as one of the benefits of Amazon Prime.
If your subscription has expired, the Prime Video app may not work on your Apple TV.
Here’s how you can check your subscription status:
- First, visit Amazon on any web browser.
- Sign in with your account details.
- Click on your account in the upper right corner.
- Access the Your Prime Membership or Your Prime Video tab.
- From here, you can check the status of your subscription. If it’s expired, renew your account and ensure that your payment method works.
Check if Prime Video is now working on your Apple TV after updating your subscription.
4. Check WiFi Reception.
Prime Video is an online service and needs stable internet to function properly. If it’s not working on your Apple TV, there might be something wrong with your connection.
You can go to Settings > Network to see if your device is connected to WiFi. Make sure that it is getting enough signal from your network to improve speed and stability.
Consider moving your Apple TV closer to your router or using a WiFi extender if the signal strength is below 3 bars.
5. Refresh Your Network.
A slow or unstable network can also cause Prime Video to malfunction.
To confirm this, perform a speed test on your network to see if you’re getting the correct speed indicated on your monthly plan.
If not, try power cycling your modem to re-establish the connection with your provider.
- Locate the power cable of your router and unplug it.
- Wait for at least 10 seconds.
- Plug back in the power cable and wait for your router to initialize.
Perform another speed test afterward and check if the problem is solved.
If the issue persists, report the problem to your service provider and let them handle the situation.
6. Update Amazon Prime Video.
There might be an issue with the version of Amazon Prime Video installed on your Apple TV. To rule this out, check if there are available updates for the app.
Here’s how you can update Amazon Prime Video:
- Launch the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Now, look for Amazon Prime Video.
- Click the Update button if there’s an available update.
Once done, go back to Prime Video to check if the problem is solved.
7. Update Your Apple TV.
It’s possible that the version of tvOS on your Apple TV has an issue that prevents Prime Video from functioning properly.
To check if your system is the reason, try updating your device to patch bugs and errors.
See the steps below to update your Apple TV:
- Access Settings on your Apple TV.
- Now, go to System > Software Updates.
- Click on Update Software.
- If there’s an available update, click on Download and Install.
- Wait for the update to complete.
Go back to Prime Video after updating your system to check if the problem is solved.
8. Reinstall Prime Video.
If you still encounter issues with Prime Video, we suggest reinstalling the app.
Reinstalling Prime Video should ensure that there is no missing or corrupted application data on your system.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Choose Prime Video from your Apple TV’s home screen.
- Now, press and hold the Clickpad Center (Siri Remote 2nd gen or later) or the Touch Surface (Siri Remote 1st Gen) until the apps start to shake.
- Press the Play/Pause button to access more options.
- Select Delete and follow the prompts.
- Reinstall Prime Video from the App Store afterward.
Sign in with your Prime Video account and check if the problem is solved.
That sums up our guide on how to fix Amazon Prime Video if it’s not working on your Apple TV.
If you have questions or other concerns, let us know in the comment section, and we’ll be glad to help.