Do you see a black screen on HBO Max when playing a movie or TV show?
Since the release of HBO Max in May 2020, it started to crawl its way up to be one of the most subscribed on-demand streaming platforms in the market. As of June 2021, the platform has more than 44.2 million subscribers, primarily due to popular titles like Game of Thrones, Godzilla vs Kong, The Sopranos, Friends, and many more.
While the platform has an excellent lineup of titles, something bothers its users, and that is the numerous errors they experience on both the app and website.
Although HBO Max’s developers try their best to optimize the platform, occasional bugs and errors are simply inevitable on any website or application.
Today, we’re going to show you how to fix the blank screen issue on HBO Max so that you’ll know what to do in case it happens to you.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check HBO Max Servers.
If you experience difficulties watching shows on HBO Max or using the platform in general, HBO Max’s servers could be down at the moment. You can confirm this by going to Downdetector, where you can check the current status of its servers and the past issues it encountered.
Since server-related issues are only addressable on HBO Max’s end, the only option you have is to wait if the servers are down.
Be sure to check in from time to time so that you’ll immediately know once HBO Max is up and running again.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
Some shows on HBO Max may become temporarily unavailable due to unexpected circumstances. If you see a black screen after selecting a movie or TV show, that title could be unavailable at the moment.
To confirm this, go back to the media library, try playing random shows, and see if you would also experience the black screen issue.
If other titles are working fine, go to the last method to report the problematic movie or TV show to HBO Max.
3. Re-Login to Your Account.
Temporary bugs and glitches may have caused your account data to get corrupted. If this happens, unexpected issues may occur on your current session until you refresh your user data.
You can do this by simply logging out of your HBO Max account.
On Android and iOS, you can sign out of HBO Max by doing the following steps:
- On your device, tap on HBO Max to launch it.
- Now, tap on your Profile and access the Settings.
- Finally, scroll down to the bottom and tap on Sign Out.
If you are using a web browser, see the steps below to guide you on the process:
- First, open HBO Max using your preferred browser.
- On your account, click on your Profile to access the drop-down menu.
- Lastly, click the Sign Out button to close your session.
After logging out of your HBO Max account, wait for at least 2 minutes before signing back into your profile.
Try playing another movie or TV show to check if you would still encounter the black screen issue on HBO Max.
4. Check and Reset Your Internet.
Your internet connection could be running slow, making it difficult for HBO Max to load the movie or TV show you want to play. HBO Max also requires a minimum internet bandwidth of 5 Mbps to watch HD titles on their platform.
To check if your network meets this requirement, go to Fast.com and perform a speed test on your internet connection.
If the result shows that your connection is the problem, restart your router. Unplug your router’s power cable from the wall outlet and allow several seconds to pass before reconnecting it.
Once your router has restarted, run another test to check if your network connection is now running correctly. Contact your ISP if you continue to experience network-related problems or upgrade your current plan if it is below 5 Mbps.
5. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks could also be the reason why you experience black screen issues on HBO Max. VPNs work by changing your IP address randomly to hide your location and bypass restrictions set by your ISP.
However, some VPNs don’t work that well and cause delays and interruptions when it changes your IP address.
To fix this, disable your VPN first before accessing HBO Max.
On the other hand, we suggest using PureVPN if you need a VPN when browsing or accessing HBO Max. Unlike other services, PureVPN maintains the quality of your connection while protecting your online data.
You can also check our detailed guide on accessing HBO Max outside its service area if you live outside the US.
6. Disable Your Browser Extensions.
If you are using browser extensions for screen capture, video enhancements, or network control, turn them off before accessing HBO Max. The platform may not be compatible with the extensions you are using and interrupts its normal flow.
To disable browser extensions, follow the guide below:
- First, go to your preferred browser and open its Settings page.
- On the side menu, click on the Extensions tab.
- Lastly, disable all your browser extensions and go back to HBO Max.
Once done, try playing another show to check if the problem is solved.
You can also try using a different browser if you still have issues with video playback and see if HBO Max would work.
7. Run Malwarebytes.
Your system could be infected by a malware or virus that eats up your network bandwidth, causing shows on HBO Max not to load. To fix this, download Malwarebytes on your computer and run the ‘Full System’ scan tool.
This will allow Malwarebytes to scan your storage for infected files and automatically remove them in the process.
Go back to HBO Max after scanning your system to check if the problem is solved.
8. Clear HBO Max App Data (Android).
HBO Max stores temporary data on your Android device, which helps the app function efficiently. This contains your account credentials, shows you’ve watched, and other data needed by HBO Max to function.
Unfortunately, app data on Android devices can accumulate over time and become corrupted.
To fix this, follow the steps below to clear HBO Max’s app data:
- On your device, tap on Settings and look for the Apps tab.
- Now, open the Apps tab and tap on HBO Max.
- Finally, tap on Storage, then hit the Clear Data button to complete the process.
Once done, log back into your HBO Max account and check if the problem is solved.
9. Update HBO Max.
HBO releases timely updates on its application to ensure that bugs and other errors are being patched. If you experience black screen issues on HBO Max, see if there are any available updates to fix the problem.
On Android, you can update HBO Max by doing the steps below:
- First, launch Google Play Store on your device and tap on your Profile.
- Now, open My Apps & Games and locate HBO Max.
- Lastly, tap the Update button next to HBO Max to download the latest version.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to update HBO Max:
- On your device, go to the home screen and tap on the App Store.
- After that, access your Profile and find the HBO Max app.
- Finally, press the Update button beside HBO Max to install the update.
Go back to your account after updating the app and check if the black screen issue on HBO Max is solved.
10. Update Your Device.
Your device may have an issue related to video playbacks that causes HBO Max or other applications to encounter problems when you play a video.
If this is the case, we suggest updating your system to the latest version to fix the problem.
On Android devices, you can check for updates by doing the following:
- In your app drawer, tap on Settings and scroll down to the bottom.
- After that, tap on About or About Phone and access the Software Update tab.
- Finally, tap Download and Install if there’s an update available for your device.
For iOS users, see the step-by-step guide below to update your device:
- First, open the Settings app from your home screen and tap on General.
- Now, tap on Software Updates.
- If there’s an available update, tap on Download and Install and follow the prompts to update your device.
On the other hand, proceed to HBO Max’s Help Center if you use a Smart TV, Android TV, or similar devices to know how you can update your system.
Go back to HBO Max after updating your device to check if the problem is solved.
11. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not work, reinstall HBO Max on your device. The app may not be installed correctly on your system, or some of its files were severely corrupted that the update can no longer fix it.
For Android users, follow the steps below to reinstall HBO Max on your device:
- Press and hold HBO Max’s app icon in your app drawer until the options menu appears on your display.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete the app.
- Finally, go to Google Play Store and reinstall HBO Max.
On iOS, you can reinstall HBO Max by doing the following:
- First, go to your home screen and press HBO Max’s icon until the selection screen shows up.
- Now, tap on Remove App to uninstall HBO Max.
- Lastly, open the App Store on your device and reinstall the app from there.
If you are on a different device, look for the specific guidelines for your system on the Help Center to reinstall HBO Max.
After reinstalling HBO Max, re-login to your account to check if the black screen issue would still occur.
12. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
If none of the methods above worked, we suggest you visit the Help Center and report the problem to HBO Max’s customer support. Your account may have a problem that needs to be addressed on their end.
When asking for help, be sure to provide your HBO Max account details, the streaming device you use, and the title you are having problems playing to speed up the process.
This wraps up our guide for fixing black screen issues on HBO Max. If you have any questions or other concerns, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂