Do you encounter a black screen on League of Legends?
League of Legends has been around since 2009 and has established itself as one of the biggest names in the E-Sports scene. The game hosts annual tournaments and currently has over 200 million active players.
Given the game’s popularity, it is considered to be one of the most stable titles with frequent patches and fixes.
Although the game runs flawlessly, for the most part, problems can occur from time to time.
If you are reading this, we can assume that you are experiencing a black screen on League of Legends. While this issue is very annoying, it is a common problem with the game, and troubleshooting should be straightforward.
Most of the time, this problem is caused by faulty display drivers or corrupted game files. On the other hand, it can also be due to third-party applications, improper configurations, or outdated software.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on how to fix black screen issues on League of Legends.
Let’s get started!
1. Restart Your Computer.
Whenever you encounter problems with League of Legends, the first thing you should do is restart your computer. This should reload your system resources and eliminate temporary errors.
Here’s what you need to do:
- On your computer, access the Start Menu by clicking the Windows icon in the Taskbar.
- After that, open the Power Options tab.
- Finally, click Restart to reboot your system.
Relaunch League of Legends and check if the black screen issue is solved.
2. Close Unused Applications.
Black screen issues with League of Legends could also indicate that your system is running out of resources to run the game. To avoid this problem, we recommend closing unused applications on your computer to leave more room for the game to run.
Launch the Task Manager and go to the processes tab to identify which applications you are not using.
3. Update GPU Drivers.
Black screen on League of Legends can also be due to faulty or outdated display drivers. Since you are running a game, you’ll need your graphics card to function correctly to avoid problems.
Follow the guide below to update your drivers:
- First, open the Device Manager on your computer.
- After that, expand the Display Adapters tab.
- Lastly, right-click on your graphics card and choose Update Driver.
Restart your computer afterward and check if the problem is solved.
4. Update Windows.
If updating your display drivers wasn’t enough, we recommend updating your operating system. This should ensure that your OS is compatible with the latest version of League of Legends. Updating your system should also patch underlying issues that might cause black screen issues.
See the steps below to update Windows:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + I keys to open Windows Settings.
- After that, go to Update & Security and click on Windows Update.
- Finally, click on Check for Updates and follow the prompts.
Once done, reboot your computer and try running League of Legends again.
5. Change Graphics Settings.
Another reason you encounter a black screen on League of Legends is if your system cannot handle the graphics configuration you have. If this is the case, we suggest lowering your configurations.
Before starting a game, head to the settings and set the sliders to low. If possible, you can also try running the game at a lower resolution.
6. Reinstall League of Legends.
If none of the solutions above worked for you, we suggest reinstalling League of Legends on your computer. This should ensure the game is installed correctly and there are no missing resources on your storage.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Access the Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on Uninstall a Program and locate League of Legends.
- Finally, right-click on the game and select Uninstall. Follow the on-screen prompts to delete the game.
Once done, go to Riot’s website and download the latest version of the game.
That ends our guide on how to fix black screen on League of Legends. If you have questions, please drop a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂