Want to know how you can fix your camera if it’s not working on Discord?
Discord is a popular chatting platform made for gamers. Although the app is also used for other purposes, most Discord servers are for gaming. Despite this, Discord continues to develop its platform for all users and not just gaming.
One feature that is very useful on Discord is video chats. While activities on Discord involve voice and text chats, it’s nice to know that you can initiate video chats on the platform whenever needed.
Unfortunately, there has been an issue on Discord that plagued many users. If you’re reading this, we can assume that your camera is not working on Discord.
In most cases, this problem is caused by faulty device drivers and improper system configurations. However, it can also be due to third-party applications and corrupted installation files.
Today, we’ll show you how to fix your camera if it’s not working on Discord.
1. Check Discord Servers.
When you encounter problems on Discord, the first thing you should do is check the platform’s status. Discord’s team could be performing maintenance on the servers, or an unexpected issue related to video chats occurred on the platform.
You can visit Discord’s dedicated status page to confirm this.
Unfortunately, the only thing you can do if the servers are down is wait for Discord’s team to resolve the issue.
On the other hand, you can do the following solutions below if there’s nothing wrong with the servers.
2. Restart Your Computer.
If your camera is not working on Discord, try restarting your system to reload its resources. A temporary bug or glitch may have occurred on your computer, causing your camera drivers to malfunction.
Follow the steps below to restart your PC:
- On the Taskbar, click on the Windows icon to access the Start Menu.
- After that, open the Power Options tab.
- Finally, choose Restart.
After restarting your system, join another video chat to check if the problem is solved.
3. Check Your Settings.
One of the most common reasons your camera is not working on Discord is if the app fails to recognize your camera. To fix this, manually select your camera on Discord’s settings.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, open Discord on your computer.
- Next, go to the Settings and access the Voice & Video tab.
- Lastly, click on the Camera tab and choose the right device.
Once done, go back to your video chat to check if the problem is solved.
4. Check Your Privacy Settings.
Discord may not have the proper permissions to access your hardware, explaining why your camera is not working. To fix this, check your privacy settings and ensure that Discord has access to your camera.
Follow the guide below to change your privacy settings:
- Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- After that, go to Privacy and click on Camera.
- Finally, enable the ‘Allow Desktop Apps to Access Your Camera’ option.
Restart Discord afterward and try joining another video chat.
5. Close Other Applications.
Another application could be using your camera, explaining why Discord can’t access your hardware. To fix this, close down other applications running on your computer to ensure that no other program uses your camera.
Proceed to the next solution below if no other applications are running on your computer.
6. Update Your Camera Drivers.
Drivers are an integral part of Windows operating systems. Device drivers help your system communicate with your hardware. Without them, Windows can’t control and access the devices connected to your computer.
Check out the guide below to update your camera drivers:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys to access the Quick Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager and expand the Cameras tab.
- Finally, right-click on your device and choose Update Driver.
Reboot your system afterward to apply the update and go back to Discord to check if the problem is solved.
7. Update Windows.
The current version of Windows you’re using might have an underlying issue that causes your camera to malfunction. If this is the case, we suggest updating your operating system to the latest version possible.
Check out the guide below to update your operating system:
- First, open Windows Settings on your PC.
- After that, go to Update & Security.
- Lastly, access the Windows Update tab and click on Check for Update.
After updating your computer, try joining another video chat to check if your camera works.
8. Reinstall Discord.
If your camera is still not working on Discord, the last thing you can do is reinstall the app on your computer. This should fix corrupted files on your system and ensure you have the latest working version of Discord.
You can delete Discord on Windows by doing the following:
- On your computer, open the Control Panel and click on Uninstall a Program.
- Next, locate Discord from the list.
- Finally, right-click on the app and choose Uninstall.
Go to Discord’s website after uninstalling the app and download the latest installer from there.
That ends our guide for fixing your camera if it’s not working on Discord. If you have questions or other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂