Trying to figure out why your camera won’t load on Snapchat?
With over 240 million users, Snapchat did a great job preparing their servers to handle this kind of volume on their platform. Most of the time, their services are always available, which gives a smooth user experience.
However, like any other application, Snapchat also suffers from occasional downtimes. If your camera won’t load on Snapchat, we understand that you are getting frustrated right now.
Being able to take photos and videos on the app is much more convenient, compared to firing up your stock camera, and uploading it on Snapchat.
Most of the time, this problem occurs when the app doesn’t have the right permissions to access your camera. However, other factors should also be taken into consideration.
Today, we will show you what to do if your camera won’t load on Snapchat.
Let’s get started!
- 1. Check Snapchat’s Servers.
- 2. Check Camera Permissions.
- 3. Restart the App.
- 4. Check for Updates.
- 5. Clear App Cache.
- 6. Reinstall Snapchat.
- 7. Try Using Fiverr.
- 8. Report the Problem to Snapchat.
1. Check Snapchat’s Servers.
If Snapchat is not working properly, there is a high chance that you are experiencing a server related issue. To verify if Snapchat’s servers are running correctly, try to use third-party sites like Downdetector. It is a free tool that displays the current status of websites and applications.
If Snapchat’s servers are down, the only option you have is to wait. Check their servers once in a while to get updated once their servers are up and running.
2. Check Camera Permissions.
Problems using your camera on the app are usually caused by improper permissions set on Snapchat. Try to review your permission settings to fix the issue with your camera.
For Android, check out the guide below on how to change your permissions.
- First, open Snapchat, and tap on the Profile icon on the top left corner of your screen.
- After that, tap on the Settings button to open it.
- Inside the settings, scroll down until you see the Privacy tab.
- Now, tap on Permissions.
- Finally, make sure that Snapchat is allowed to access your camera.
On iOS, you can review your permission settings by doing the following:
- On your home screen, tap on Snapchat to open it.
- Inside the main page, tap on your Profile icon, and hit the Gear icon.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Manage under the Additional Services tab.
- Finally, tap on Permissions, and ensure that the app is allowed to use your camera.
After changing your permission settings, go back to the main page, and try using the camera.
3. Restart the App.
This may sound like a very simple solution, but it is effective in fixing different kinds of problems on any application. If your camera won’t load on Snapchat, try to restart the application.
This will allow your device to reload all the app’s installation files, which could have encountered a temporary error.
On Android, you can restart the app by swiping upwards from the bottom of your screen to open the app switcher. Now, find Snapchat, and drag it upwards until it is removed from the list.
For iOS devices with an all-screen display, you can restart Snapchat through the app switcher. Swipe up from the bottom of your screen to view the app switcher. Now, swipe Snapchat upwards to stop it from running.
If your iOS device still houses the Home button, simply tap it twice to open the app switcher. Now, find Snapchat and flick it upwards to close it.
Once done, go back to your main screen, and open Snapchat again. Try to use the camera again to see if the problem is fixed.
4. Check for Updates.
Snapchat releases regular updates on its app to patch up errors that may have occurred, and provide the latest security update. If you haven’t updated the app on your device, try doing so.
It is possible that the version installed on your device already has a problem with the camera.
For Android users, see the guide below on how to update Snapchat.
- First, open Google Play Store on your device.
- After that, tap on the Menu button to open the side menu.
- Now, tap My Apps & Games to check for possible updates.
- If available, tap on the Update button beside Snapchat to install it.
On iOS, you can update Snapchat by doing the following:
- Open the App Store from your home screen and tap on the Updates tab.
- Now, the App Store will automatically check for updates on all the applications installed on your device.
- Finally, tap on the Update button if an update is detected.
After the update, go back to Snapchat and try using the camera.
5. Clear App Cache.
Snapchat stores temporary data on your device called app cache. This data is used to improve the performance of the application. However, app caches could get corrupted during use, and cause all sorts of problems on Snapchat.
To fix this, clear Snapchat’s cache to get rid of corrupted data.
- First, open Snapchat, and hit the Profile icon on the main screen.
- After that, tap on the Settings button with a gear icon.
- Now, scroll down until you see the Clear Cache button.
- Finally, tap on Clear Cache, and hit Continue (Android) or Clear All (iOS) to proceed.
After clearing your app cache, go back to Snapchat, and use the camera to capture photos or videos.
6. Reinstall Snapchat.
If Snapchat’s installation files got corrupted badly, a simple update or clearing of cache would not be able to fix it. In this case, the only solution would be to reinstall the application on your device.
On Android, see the steps below on how to reinstall Snapchat.
- First, unlock your device, and go to the home screen.
- After that, tap and hold on Snapchat until the option screen shows.
- Finally, tap on Uninstall to remove the app from your device.
Go to the Play Store afterward, and reinstall Snapchat.
For iOS users, check out the guide below on how to reinstall Snapchat.
- On your device, go to the home screen and locate Snapchat.
- Tap and hold Snapchat until the selection screen appears on your screen.
- Lastly, tap on Remove App, and follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall the app.
Visit the App Store, and reinstall Snapchat on your device.
7. Try Using Fiverr.
Looking to hire a freelancer for your project? Try using Fiverr!
Fiverr is an online platform where you can find all sorts of freelancers. From logo making to website development, Fiverr has available freelancers for all kinds of fields. With Fiverr, you can know the total cost of the project before it starts, plus you can select a freelancer based on your budget.
Join Fiverr now and get your projects completed in no time!
8. Report the Problem to Snapchat.
If none of the solutions above worked for you, we suggest asking the professionals for help.
Report the problem to Snapchat and have them fix the issue. When reporting a problem, be sure to include important information like your account details, and the device you are using to help their support team address your problem faster.
This sums up our guide on what to do if your camera won’t load on Snapchat. If you know other ways to address this issue, let us know in the comment section below. We’d be glad to give your name a credit for the solution once we update this article.
If you find this guide helpful, please share it. 🙂