Cannot open snaps on Snapchat?
Up to this date, Snapchat has remained to be one of the most popular social media applications for millennials, and older generations. Like any social networking site, Snapchat allows you to share photos and videos with your friends, and loved ones.
However, if you cannot open snaps on Snapchat, it could be a problem since it is the app’s main feature. As it turns out, you are not the only one dealing with this problem. Several users have also reported the same issue, and no one can figure out what is happening.
Luckily, you’ve come to the right place!
In this guide, we will show you what to do if you cannot open snaps on Snapchat.
To start off, try to check the status of Snapchat’s servers, as the problem could be on their end. If this is the case, any tweaks made on your end would not help in fixing the issue. The only thing you can do right now is to wait.
However, if their servers are running normally, proceed to the suggested methods below to address the issue on your end.
- 1. Restart the App.
- 2. Turn Off VPN.
- 3. Check for Updates.
- 4. Clear Snapchat’s Cache.
- 5. Reinstall Snapchat.
- 6. Check Your Internet Connection.
- 7. Check Permissions.
- 8. Try Fiverr.
- 9. Report the Problem to Snapchat.
1. Restart the App.
If Snapchat is not working properly on your device, restarting the application is the easiest way to fix it. This way, the installation files of Snapchat would be reloaded from your system and eliminate any issues that may have occurred.
For Android users, you can restart Snapchat using the app switcher. Swipe upwards from the bottom of your display to open the app switcher. After that, find Snapchat and drag it upwards until it is removed from the list.
On iOS devices with an all-screen display, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open the app switcher. Locate Snapchat from the list and flick it upwards to stop it from running.
Finally, for iOS devices with a Home button, tap it twice to open the application switcher. After that, locate Snapchat and flick it upwards until it is removed from the app switcher.
After closing the app, go back to your home screen and relaunch it. Now, try to view the snaps of your friends.
2. Turn Off VPN.
VPN services can cause instability in your network connection. It changes your IP address randomly, making it hard for your device to connect with Snapchat’s servers.
Since Snapchat is an online platform, you would need a stable internet connection to view snaps from your friends and use the app in general.
Try to turn off your VPN and see if the problem goes away.
3. Check for Updates.
Snapchat releases updates for their app from time to time to ensure that it is running properly. Possibly, the version installed on your device already has a problem related to viewing snaps and messages.
If you haven’t updated the app lately, try to update it, and see if Snapchat fixed the problem.
On Android, see the steps below on how to update Snapchat.
- First, open Google Play Store from your home screen.
- After that, tap on the Menu button on the search bar to view the side menu.
- Now, tap on My Apps & Games.
- Finally, if there is an available update for Snapchat, hit the Update button to install it.
For iOS devices, you can update Snapchat by doing the following:
- On your device, go to the home screen and tap on the App Store.
- Inside the App Store, look at the navigation bar and tap on the Updates tab on the rightmost corner of your display.
- Lastly, tap on the Update button if there is an update available for Snapchat.
After updating the app, try viewing a couple snaps from your friends.
4. Clear Snapchat’s Cache.
If Snapchat is slow to load snaps or fails to load it at all, try to clear its app cache. Snapchat stores caches on your device to make the app perform faster.
However, it is possible that your app caches got corrupted, and are causing Snapchat issues.
To fix this, simply clear your app cache to get rid of corrupted files.
- First, tap on the Profile icon on Snapchat’s main screen.
- After that, tap on the Gear icon on the top right corner of your screen to open settings.
- Now, scroll down and tap on Clear Cache.
- Lastly, tap on Continue (Android) or Clear All (iOS) to start clearing the app cache.
After clearing Snapchat’s cache, go back to your main screen and try viewing snaps.
5. Reinstall Snapchat.
You can also try reinstalling Snapchat if updating or clearing the app cache did not work for you. This way, you are sure that all errors on the app would be eliminated, and a working copy of Snapchat is installed on your system.
On Android, you can reinstall Snapchat by doing the following:
- First, go to your home screen and find Snapchat on your app drawer.
- After that, tap and hold the app until the option screen appears.
- Lastly, tap on Uninstall and follow the prompts to remove the app from your device.
Visit the Play Store afterward, and reinstall Snapchat on your device.
If you are using an iOS device, see the steps below on how to update Snapchat.
- On your device, go to the home screen and locate Snapchat.
- Now, tap and hold the app until a selection screen appears on your display.
- Finally, tap on Remove App to uninstall Snapchat.
After removing Snapchat, open the App Store, and reinstall the app.
6. Check Your Internet Connection.
If your network is running slow, it can also be the cause for snaps not loading on Snapchat. To check if this is the case, try to run a simple speed test using Fast.com. It is a third-party website that effectively measures your network’s speed bandwidth.
Now, if the result shows that your network is the problem, try restarting your router. Locate your router’s power cable and unplug it. Now, wait for 5 to 10 seconds. Once done, plug back in the cable to restart your router.
After your router has restarted, run another speed test to see if everything is in order. However, if your network continues to run into problems, contact your ISP and let them know about the issue.
7. Check Permissions.
Snapchat may lack the permission to use your network, which makes it hard for the app to load the snaps from your friends. Try to visit your permissions page to fix this issue.
On Android, follow the step-by-step guide below.
- First, tap on the Profile icon on Snapchat’s main screen.
- Now, tap on the Gear icon on the top right corner of your screen to open settings.
- Scroll down until you reach the Privacy tab.
- Finally, tap on the Permissions tab and make sure that Snapchat is allowed to access your network.
For iOS devices, check out the steps below to guide you on the process.
- On Snapchat, tap on the Profile icon and hit the Gear icon to open settings.
- After that, scroll down until you see the Additional Services tab.
- Now, tap on Manage.
- Finally, open the Permissions tab and make sure that the app has the proper permissions to access your network.
Go back to the main page afterward, and check if the problem is resolved.
8. Try Fiverr.
Need help on your projects? Try using Fiverr.
Fiverr is an online marketplace where you can find potential freelancers to help you out on your projects. Whether you are looking for a web developer, content creator, or social media manager, Fiverr got your back!
In terms of payment, Fiverr has got you covered with their secured payment channel that only releases the payment once you are satisfied with the delivered project.
You can also sign up for an account if you want to be a freelancer.
Complete your projects faster with Fiverr!
9. Report the Problem to Snapchat.
If none of the methods above worked out for you, we suggest that you let the professionals handle your problem.
Report the problem to Snapchat, and ask them to provide a fix for the issue on their platform. Be sure to include important details like your account information and the device you are using, when reporting a problem.
This ends our guide on what to do if you cannot open snaps on Snapchat. If you have other questions or concerns, leave a comment below and we’ll try our best to help you out.
If you find this guide helpful, please share it. 🙂