Can’t figure out how to solve the checkpoint required error on Instagram?
Instagram is one of the leading social media platforms in the world. Despite this, the app isn’t safe from downtimes and occasional errors. Among the most common errors on Instagram is the ‘Checkpoint Required’ error.
Depending on the situation, this error message on the app can occur while posting a story, scrolling on your timeline, or simply launching the mobile app.
Most of the time, unstable networks are the reason behind this issue. However, it can also be due to server-related errors, third-party applications, improper configurations, or corrupted data.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on how to fix the ‘checkpoint required’ error on Instagram.
1. Check Instagram’s Servers.
Whenever you encounter issues with Instagram or other online platforms, the first thing you should do is check the servers. Since you are using an online service, its servers play a major role in delivering content and features.
Unfortunately, Instagram doesn’t have a dedicated status page. You can use third-party sites like Downdetector to monitor the platform’s status.
If there are reported issues with the app, the best thing you can do is wait since server-related problems can’t be resolved on your end. On the other hand, you can head to the next solution if there’s nothing wrong with the servers.
2. Restart Your Device.
As a common practice, we recommend users restart their devices if an app or software isn’t working correctly. This way, we can rule out temporary issues that may have occurred during runtime.
- First, locate the Power button on your device.
- Next, hold down the Power button until the selection screen appears.
- Lastly, tap on Restart to begin the process.
- On your device, access the Assistive Touch and go to the Device tab.
- After that, tap on More.
- Finally, choose the Restart option and wait for your device to reboot.
Once done, relaunch Instagram and check if the problem is solved.
3. Check Your Permissions (Android).
If Instagram lacks some permissions on your device, it might not function correctly, explaining the ‘checkpoint required’ error. To fix this, make sure that you’ve granted the required permissions by the app.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, go to your app drawer and locate Instagram.
- After that, hold down its app icon and tap on App Info.
- Go to the Permissions tab.
- Lastly, grant access to the app and close the page.
Relaunch Instagram and see if you’ll still encounter the ‘checkpoint required’ error.
4. Check Your Network Connection.
A slow internet connection could also be the reason you encounter the ‘checkpoint required’ error on Instagram. Since you’re accessing an online service, you’ll need stable internet to enjoy Instagram’s services.
To confirm if your network is the problem, run a test using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download bandwidth.
If the test indicates a problem with your network, restart your modem or router to re-establish the connection with your ISP’s servers. Unplug your router from the outlet and wait for 5 to 10 seconds before reconnecting it.
Once done, re-run the test to check if the restart worked. Contact your provider if you continue to experience problems and ask them to fix their service.
5. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are third-party services that protect your network and data from hackers and harmful entities online. While they work great for security purposes, VPNs can also cause issues with your network.
To avoid problems, we suggest disabling your VPN before accessing Instagram.
On the other hand, you can also try switching to other providers like PureVPN. Compared to other services, PureVPN works great with most apps and ensures that your connection stays fast and reliable.
It also works with streaming services like HBO Max, Disney+, and Netflix.
6. Update Instagram.
The version of Instagram you’re using might have an issue related to network connectivity, causing the ‘checkpoint required’ error. To rule this out, we suggest updating the app to the latest version possible.
- Launch Google Play Store on your device.
- After that, tap on your Profile and access the Manage Apps & Device tab.
- From there, go to the Updates Available page and locate Instagram.
- Hit the Update button beside the app to start the process.
- First, go to the App Store on your iOS device.
- Next, open your Profile and look for Instagram on the list.
- Lastly, tap the Update button to install the latest version.
Once done, go back to Instagram to check if the problem is solved.
7. Clear Instagram’s Data (Android).
For Android users, you can try clearing Instagram’s cache and data if you still encounter the ‘checkpoint required’ error. This should remove corrupted data from your device, which could be causing issues with the app.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your app drawer and locate Instagram.
- After that, hold its app icon until the selection menu appears.
- Tap on App Info and go to the Storage tab.
- Finally, tap on Clear Cache and Clear Data.
Restart your device and see if the problem with Instagram is solved.
8. Reinstall Instagram.
If none of the solutions above worked, the last thing you can do is reinstall Instagram on your device. This way, we can ensure that the app is installed correctly and there are no corrupted or missing data on your storage.
See the steps below to uninstall Instagram:
- First, locate the Instagram app from your home screen.
- After that, press and hold the app icon until the options menu shows up.
- Lastly, tap on Remove App (iOS) or Uninstall (Android) to remove Instagram.
Go to the Play Store or App Store afterward and install the latest version of Instagram.
That ends our guide on how to fix the ‘checkpoint required’ error on Instagram. If you have questions, please drop a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂