Seeing an error message saying “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact?
Ever since its release a couple of months ago, Genshin Impact still gets spikes in the number of active users on its servers from time to time. Similar to what happened with Among Us, developers could not anticipate the volume of users that would try the game in its early stages.
As more players get into Genshin Impact’s hype, it is expected that its servers could occasionally suffer from crashes and downtimes. This would probably continue until miHoYo upgrades its servers to handle the traffic or players get fed up and stop playing the game. 🙁
Thankfully, we are here to help you out!
In this guide, we will show you a few ways to reduce network and server errors like the “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact.
But before jumping into the solutions, check the status of Genshin Impact’s servers first as the problem could be on their end. If this is the case, any changes in your system will not help fix the issue.
However, if Genshin’s servers are working normally, head down below and try the mentioned solutions.
Let’s get started!
- 1. Restart the Game.
- 2. Check for Updates.
- 3. Turn Off VPN.
- 4. Use the Right Server for Your Region.
- 5. Stop Other Applications.
- 6. Check and Reset Your Internet Connection.
- 7. Change Your DNS.
- 8. Try Using PureVPN.
- 9. Ask Genshin Impact’s Community.
1. Restart the Game.
The easiest fix for applications and games that are not working properly is to give it a restart. This way, your system can reload its installation files, which may have encountered a temporary glitch or error.
On Windows, you can restart the game by doing the following steps below:
- On your keyboard, press on Windows + S keys and search for Task Manager.
- After that, click on Open to launch it.
- Now, click on the Processes tab to view all the programs that are running on your system.
- Finally, click on Genshin Impact and hit the End Task button to stop it from running.
For Android devices, you can restart any application using the app switcher. Swipe up from the bottom of your display until you see the app switcher. Finally, locate Genshin Impact and flick it upwards to stop it from running.
Now, for iOS devices with an all-screen display, you also need to use the application switcher to restart the game. From the bottom of the display, swipe upwards until the app switcher pops up on your screen. Find Genshin Impact and swipe upwards until the game is removed.
On the other hand, if your iOS device still has the Home button, you can open the app switcher by tapping it twice. Now, find Genshin Impact from the list and flick it upwards to close the game.
Finally, for Playstation 4 users, check out the guide below on how to restart Genshin Impact.
- First, click on the PS button on your controller.
- After that, a Quick Menu will pop-up on your display.
- Finally, select Close Application and hit the O or X button (depending on your preferences) on your controller to proceed.
Once the game is fully closed on your device, relaunch it to see if the problem is already resolved.
2. Check for Updates.
An older version of any application could pose problems on your device, especially if the servers no longer support it. If you are seeing an error message saying “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact, try updating the game.
On Windows, you can update Genshin Impact by merely opening the launcher. It will automatically check for updates on the game. Follow the on-screen prompts if the launcher finds a possible update.
On the other hand, for Android devices, check out the step-by-step guide below to update the game.
- First, go to your home screen and open the Play Store.
- After that, open the side menu by tapping on the Menu button at the top of your screen.
- Now, tap on My Apps & Games tab from the side menu.
- Finally, tap on the Update button beside Genshin Impact if an update is available.
For iOS users, follow the steps below on how to update the game on your device.
- On your home screen, tap on the App Store to open it.
- Now, tap on the Updates tab inside the App Store.
- For the final step, tap on the Update button if an update is available for Genshin Impact.
Now, if you are playing Genshin Impact on a Playstation 4, you can update the game by doing the following:
- First, go to your Playstation’s main screen and select Genshin Impact.
- After that, press the Options button on your PS4 controller to open the side menu.
- Lastly, select Check for Updates and hit the O or X button on your controller to start the process.
After updating Genshin Impact, try connecting to the game again.
3. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual Private Network services are third-party applications that provide security to your network while using the internet. It handles your network traffic and redirects it to a server from another region to keep your location hidden.
VPNs also change your IP address to keep your identity private online.
Since random changes on your IP address happen, your device might not be able to establish a proper connection with Genshin’s servers, which explains the connection error.
To fix this, simply turn off your VPN and see if the error message goes away.
4. Use the Right Server for Your Region.
On games with multiple servers, players tend to play in other regions with fewer users to reduce the competition when grinding. Other users also prefer other servers if they know someone from that region.
However, using servers from other regions could cause delays and latency in the game. If you see an error message saying “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact, revert to the right server for your region.
- Go ahead and open Genshin Impact on your device.
- On the main menu, tap on the Server button located below the Start Game button.
- Finally, select the nearest server for your location.
After changing servers, try to play the game to see if the connection error would still occur on Genshin Impact.
However, if the error message “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact still occurs, head down below to address the problem.
5. Stop Other Applications.
If you are playing a game on your system, it is ideal that you close unnecessary applications to dedicate most of your system and network resources to the game.
Since Genshin Impact is an online game, other applications that can eat up your network bandwidth might affect its performance.
Try to close other applications on your computer to avoid this from happening.
- On your keyboard, press on the CTRL + X keys to view the Quick Access Menu.
- After that, click on Task Manager.
- Inside the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab to view the programs that are running on your system.
- Finally, identify the applications that could eat your network bandwidth and close them.
Open Genshin Impact again and try playing for a couple of minutes to see if the error message would still occur.
6. Check and Reset Your Internet Connection.
Connection errors on Genshin Impact could indicate that your network is having issues. To verify this, try running a speed test using Fast.com to check your internet’s speed bandwidth.
Now, if your network is running slow, try to restart your router. Locate its power cable, which is usually at the back, and unplug it. After that, allow your router to reset by waiting for 5 to 10 seconds before plugging back the cable.
After restarting your router, check its performance by running another speed test. Sadly, if your network is still running slow, immediately report the problem to your ISP and ask them to fix their service.
7. Change Your DNS.
Internet service providers have their own DNS servers, which are used to associate IP addresses of websites and servers to understandable domain names.
Without it, you would need to enter number combinations for each website that you want to access, instead of the usual domain names like saintlad.com.
If you are experiencing connectivity issues, it is possible that your DNS server is acting up.
8. Try Using PureVPN.
If you are fond of changing servers while playing Genshin Impact, try using PureVPN.
Wave goodbye to lags and delays when using other region’s servers, thanks to PureVPN’s 6500+ high-speed servers made specifically for gaming and streaming videos. It also features a Split Tunneling function that allows you to filter the data that your ISP can gather to boost your privacy.
PureVPN also works great if you love streaming movies and shows across regions on apps like HBO Max, Hulu, Netflix, and Disney+.
Use PureVPN now and experience smooth and stress-free gaming!
9. Ask Genshin Impact’s Community.
With more than 5 million users, it is possible that there are other users who are also having the same problem as you.
Try asking Genshin’s community about this issue and see if someone can share their insight about the problem. Be sure to make your precise and add important details like the device you are using and the exact steps that you made that caused the error.
This sums up our guide on how to fix “Connection Failed, try again later” on Genshin Impact. If you have other questions or concerns, let us know in the comment section, and we will try our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂