Do you see a ‘Currently Unavailable’ error on HBO Max while playing a movie or TV show?
When it comes to stability and content quality, HBO Max is probably one of the best. They offer a wide variety of movies and TV shows from the most prominent TV network, HBO. Warner Media Direct launched HBO Max in the US in May 2020.
After its release, HBO Max quickly gained millions of subscribers, and the app had a great year in general.
However, just like any platform, HBO Max is not exempted from occasional bugs and glitches. If you are here, you are probably experiencing one right now.
One of the most common problems on HBO Max is the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message. This issue occurs on the platform when a user tries to access their account but can also appear while watching a movie or TV show.
Based on what we know, this problem occurs if you use an unstable network connection or HBO Max’s servers are currently offline.
Today, we will show you the best methods for fixing the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message on HBO Max.
Without further delays, let’s get started!
1. Check HBO Max Servers.
To start, we recommend checking first if the problem is on your end or HBO Max’s side. You can do this by visiting Downdetector, a third-party website that shows the current status of applications and the past issues they encountered.
If the servers are down, we suggest that you try using a different platform for now or wait until HBO’s team addresses the problem since server-related issues can’t be fixed on your end.
On the other hand, proceed to the following method below if there’s nothing wrong with HBO Max’s servers.
2. Check If Your Provider Supports HBO Max.
Although HBO Max was released in the US, not all service providers support the platform just yet. If you see the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message on HBO Max, try to check if your provider already supports the app.
Here are the top providers that currently support HBO Max:
- Google Play
- Verizon Fios
- YouTube TV
3. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are an excellent way for keeping your network safe and private while browsing online. They assign a different IP address for your device to hide your location and identity.
However, this process can cause interruptions to your connection, which could affect the performance of HBO Max.
If you are using any form of VPN, please turn it off before using HBO Max.
You can also try other VPNs that provide excellent service, such as PureVPN. Compared to other VPNs, PureVPN works well with other applications and has optimized servers for the best connection quality.
If you are using VPNs to access HBO Max outside the US, please refer to our dedicated guide to help you out.
4. Check If Your Device Is Supported.
HBO Max is available on a handful of operating systems, including Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, and more. However, not all devices running these operating systems are compatible with the app.
Since every device may vary in its hardware and software specifications, HBO Max may not support your current streaming device.
To verify this, you can visit HBO Max’s Help Center and refer to their list of compatible devices.
If your current device is not on the list, check if you own other devices that HBO Max supports. On the other hand, you can always opt to access HBO Max using a web browser or purchase a new device if you have the budget.
5. Re-Login to Your Account.
Your account data may have gotten corrupted during use, which caused HBO Max to run into errors. To fix this, you need to close your current session and wait for several minutes to reset your user data.
On Android and iOS, follow the steps below to stop your current session:
- First, open the HBO Max app on your mobile device.
- After that, tap on your Profile and go to the Settings tab.
- Lastly, tap on the Sign Out button to close your session.
If you are using a web browser, please refer to the steps below to guide you on the process:
- Open the HBO Max website using your preferred browser.
- Next, click on your Profile icon to open the drop-down menu.
- Finally, click the Sign Out button to log out of your HBO Max account.
After signing out of your current session, allow 2 to 3 minutes to pass before logging back in.
Once done, re-login to your HBO Max account and check if the error message would still occur when playing a movie or TV show.
6. Check and Reset Your Internet.
A slow or unstable network connection could also be the reason why HBO Max can’t load the movie or TV show you played. Since you are using an online service, stable internet is required to load the content you want to watch.
To check if your internet connection is the problem, run a speed test on your network using Fast.com to measure its upload and download bandwidth.
If you’ve confirmed that your network is the problem, restart your router to re-establish the connection with your internet service provider.
Once done, check if your network is now reaching the correct speeds indicated on your current subscription. Contact your ISP if your connection continues to run slow and ask them to fix the problem.
On the other hand, HBO Max requires a minimum internet speed of 5 Mbps to enjoy HD shows on the platform. If your monthly plan is below the speed requirement, consider upgrading it to avoid further problems in the future.
7. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies.
Your browser stores temporary data on your device, which are used to load websites faster. While they help boost your browser’s performance, caches and cookies can accumulate over time or become corrupted.
If you start to experience problems with the websites you visit, clear your browsing data to free up memory and other system resources.
See the steps below to guide you on the process:
- First, open your preferred browser and click on More Options.
- After that, select Settings and scroll down to Privacy and Security.
- Now, click on Clear Browsing Data and change the Time Range to All Time.
- Lastly, include caches and cookies in the process, then press the Clear Data button to start.
After clearing your browsing data, go back to HBO Max and log back into your account. Try playing another show to check if the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message would still occur.
8. Run Malwarebytes.
Viruses and malware may have infiltrated your system, which causes the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message on HBO Max. Another sign that a virus has infected your device is when you encounter problems on other apps as well.
9. Clear HBO Max’s App Data (Android).
If you encounter the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error on HBO Max, you can try clearing its app data on your Android device. This will delete possible corrupted files from your system, which could fix the error on the app.
Follow the steps below to clear HBO Max’s app data:
- On your device, go to the Settings and open the Apps tab
- After that, tap on HBO Max and access the Storage tab.
- Finally, press the Clear Data button to remove temporary data from your system.
Once done, go back to the app, log in to your account, and check if the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error on HBO Max would still occur.
10. Update the HBO Max App.
Like other applications, HBO Max requires timely updates to patch bugs and glitches on the platform. Updates also include optimization features, which enhances the application’s performance.
If you encounter error messages on HBO Max, try updating the app on your device.
On Android, follow the steps below to update HBO Max:
- First, go to your app drawer and launch Google Play Store.
- Next, access your Profile and select My Apps & Games.
- Lastly, locate HBO Max from the list and tap the Update button to install the latest version of the app.
For iOS users, check out the steps below to update HBO Max:
- On your home screen, tap on the App Store to launch it.
- After that, go to your Profile and locate HBO Max from the list.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to HBO Max to install the latest version.
If you are using other devices, refer to the Help Center to find out how you can update the app on your system.
Go back to HBO Max after the update and check if the problem is solved.
11. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not solve the issue on HBO Max, we suggest reinstalling the app on your device. This will ensure that the app is installed correctly and there are no corrupted files on your system.
For Android users, see the steps below to reinstall HBO Max on your system:
- Press and hold HBO Max’s app icon on your main screen until the options menu appears on your display.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete the app.
- Finally, launch the Google Play Store on your device and reinstall HBO Max from there.
On iOS devices, check out the guide below to reinstall the HBO Max app:
- First, open your device and locate the HBO Max app from the home screen.
- Now, press and hold its app icon to access the selection menu.
- After that, tap on Remove App to delete HBO Max.
- Lastly, reinstall HBO Max by going to the App Store on your device.
If you are using other devices, please visit HBO Max’s Help Center to know how to reinstall HBO Max.
Re-login to your HBO Max account afterwards and check if the problem is solved.
12. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
At this point, we suggest that you seek the help of the experts if you still encounter the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message on HBO Max.
Go to the Help Center and contact their customer support team from there to report the problem. Include all the necessary details on your report to speed up the process, including your account information, the device you are using, and a screenshot of the error if possible.
This wraps up our guide for fixing the ‘Currently Unavailable’ error message on HBO Max. If you have questions or other concerns, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂