Wondering how you can solve the very dim lock screen clock text on iOS 16?
With the introduction of iOS 16, the lock screen has been revamped, providing users the option to customize their screens with widgets. One of many is the clock widget.
However, many users have been complaining about the very dim lock screen clock text issue on iOS 16.
If you are among these users, then we got you covered. In this guide, we’re going to show you how to improve the visibility of the clock text on your iPhone’s lock screen.
Let’s get started!
1. Restart Your iPhone.
Restarting your system gives your device a fresh start. This closes all background running apps and clears accumulated data from your memory.
Follow the steps below on how to reset your iPhone.
For iPhone X, 11, 12, 13, 14, or later:
- Hold down the Volume Down button and Side button until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ prompt appears.
- Now, drag the slider to the right and wait for 30 seconds.
- Press the Side button afterward to turn on your device.
For iPhone 6, 7, 8, or SE:
- Locate the Power button on your device.
- Now, hold the button until the ‘Slide to Power Off’ prompt shows up.
- Drag the slider to the right and wait for 30 seconds before turning on your device.
Go back to your lock screen to check if the problem is solved.
2. Check Your Wallpaper.
It’s possible that you may have mistakenly selected a dim color for the clock widget’s text. This can explain why it can be hard to see on your lock screen.
Follow the steps below to configure your lock screen properly:
- Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Now, tap on Wallpaper.
- Under the preview of your lock screen, tap Customize.
- Choose Customize Current Wallpaper.
- Tap on Time.
- Select a bright readable style for the clock and save the changes.
- The default color picks contrasting shades from your wallpaper. You can swipe around to choose a solid color.
- Choosing the white color should make the clock pop out in your lock screen.
- You can use tools such as Contrast Checker to see if the texts can be readable with your background.
Lock your iPhone afterward to see if the clock text in the lock screen is readable.
3. Disable Depth Effect.
The clock on your lock screen can get covered by elements in your wallpaper due to the ‘Depth Effect’ feature on your iPhone.
‘Depth Effect’ is a feature that detects the subject from your wallpaper, lifts it from the background, and places it in front of the clock.
If your wallpaper has a lot of things going on, we suggest disabling the ‘Depth Effect’ option.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Now, tap on your Wallpaper.
- Tap Customize under the preview of your lock screen.
- Select Customize Current Wallpaper.
- Next, tap the three dots in the lower right corner of your screen.
- Tap Depth Effect to disable it.
Once done, check if the problem is solved.
4. Update Your Software.
There might be an issue with the version of iOS running on your device. To rule this out, see if there are available updates for your device and install them.
This should patch any bugs or errors with the version of iOS you’re currently using.
See the steps below to update your iPhone:
- Open Settings from your home screen.
- Go to General, then tap on Software Update.
- Wait for your iPhone to check for updates.
- If there’s an available update, tap on Download and Install.
- Follow the instructions to install the update.
- Your device can restart several times while installing the update.
- Make sure that your iPhone has at least 50% battery before installing updates. It’s best to keep your device plugged into the wall charger to avoid interruptions.
- Allow at least 15 minutes for the update to install, especially if it’s a major update (iOS 14 to iOS 15).
Check your lock screen to see if the clock is visible.
5. Reset Settings.
You can try resetting your iPhone’s settings if you still encounter dim clock text on iOS 16. This should roll back any changes to your configurations that may have caused the issue.
Follow the steps below to reset your iPhone’s settings:
- Open your device and tap on the Settings app.
- Next, tap on General.
- Scroll down and tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Reset and choose Reset All Settings.
- Your iPhone will immediately restart upon resetting your network configurations.
- It may appear to be stuck in the Apple logo. Wait for the process to complete which usually takes around 5 to 10 minutes.
Check your lock screen to see if the problem is solved.
6. Check Do Not Disturb Settings.
‘Do Not Disturb’ is a useful feature on your iPhone that can be turned on when you need to disable sounds and notifications.
In iOS 16, however, you also have the option to dim the lock screen when Do Not Disturb is enabled. This prevents your phone’s screen from lighting up like crazy when a notification comes in.
If you’ve noticed that the clock text is very dim on your lock screen, then check your Do Not Disturb settings.
Follow the steps below to guide you through the process:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Next, go to the Focus section.
- Tap on Do Not Disturb.
- Access the Options tab.
- Look for the Dim Lock Screen option and turn it off.
Lock your iPhone to see if you can now see the clock clearly.
7. Disable Dim Lock Screen in Focus Mode.
Aside from just having the lock screen be dimmed for only the ‘Do Not Disturb’ mode, it can be applied to any ‘Focus’ mode of your choosing.
If you can’t see the clock text on your lock screen, again, we will check if the ‘Dim Lock Screen’ option is enabled for the focus mode that is currently set.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Now, tap on Focus.
- Access the mode currently in use on your device.
- Scroll down and find the Customisation section.
- Tap on Options and disable Dim Lock Screen.
Go back to your lock screen afterward to check if the problem is solved.
8. Contact Apple.
If none of the solutions above worked, the last thing you can do is report the issue to Apple’s team.
Head to their support page and look for the problem you’re experiencing. You should see possible solutions for the issue and some related articles.
You can also contact Apple’s team through chat or phone if you can’t find anything helpful.
That wraps up our guide on how to fix very dim lock screen clock text on iOS 16. If you have questions, leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to respond.