Do you want to Disable Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 11?
Windows 11 has a built-in antivirus software known as Microsoft Defender Antivirus or Windows Defender. Included in the software is a service that runs in the background, which is the Antimalware Service Executable. It scans your system, detects any malware and viruses, then deletes them. The file that runs is also known as
Besides scanning for malware regularly, it also scans files when you open them. In addition, it installs regular updates to clean your system. This can cause excessive use of the CPU and disk resources. This can also result in the overuse of memory which can slow down your system.
Certainly, if you disable Antimalware Service Executable, your PC will be vulnerable to malware. You can temporarily disable it to improve your system’s performance, but it is advisable to install alternative antivirus software. In this guide, we will learn How to Disable Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 11.
So, let’s get started!
Use the Settings App.
Windows Defender is regularly checking your system to protect it from malware. Due to the constant monitoring, system resources are consumed which could result in your system being slow.
This method turns off Real-Time Protection temporarily, but it will be automatically turned on after a while.
Here is how you can disable Antimalware Service Executable using the Settings app:
- Go ahead and press Windows + i to open the Settings app.
- Now, scroll down and click on Privacy & Security.
- Next, click on Windows Security.
- Then, click on Virus & threat protection.
- After that, locate Virus & threat protection settings on your right, then click on Manage settings.
- Lastly, find the Real-time protection section and toggle the button to Off.
When you are done with all that, you can check if your system performance has improved.
Use the Registry Editor.
Turning off the Windows Defender from the registry is a more permanent solution. As a result, you will be required to manually enable it to continue using the in-built antivirus software.
You can use this solution if the Antimalware Service Executable is constantly using an excessively high amount of system resources. Just be careful when working with the Registry to avoid making changes that could render your system unbootable.
Here is how you can disable Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 11 via Registry:
- Start by pressing Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Then, type ‘
regedit‘ on the textbox and click OK.
- A window should open. Now, navigate the path shown below or copy and paste it on the address bar.
- Next, double-click on DisableAntiSpyware.
Note that if the DisableAntiSpyware entry doesn’t exist, right-click on a blank area of the open window, then hover on New, and then select DWORD (32-bit) Value from the dropdown menu. Finally set the name as DisableAntiSpyware then double-click on it.
- A pop-up window will appear. Set the Value data to 1 and the Base should be Hexadecimal.
- Finally, click OK.
After you are done with all that, restart your computer and your Windows Defender will be disabled. As mentioned earlier, it is not advisable to disable it permanently. So in the meantime, you can have an alternative antivirus running in your system.
Reschedule Windows Defender Scan.
This solution involves changing the time when the Windows Defender will run. You can set it to a time when you are not busy so the system’s resources will be free.
This method continues to provide protection to your PC even with the rescheduled time.
Here is how you can change when the Windows Defender scan will run:
- Begin by searching for Task Scheduler from the Search bar and then click on it.
- A window should open. On the left pane, navigate to Task Scheduler Library then Microsoft then Windows.
- From the middle pane, locate Windows Defender Scheduled Scans and right-click on it, then click Properties.
- A new window will open. In the General tab, uncheck Run with the highest privileges then click OK.
- After that, click on the Conditions tab and uncheck all the checkboxes then click OK. This removes the scheduled scans on Windows 11.
- From there, select the Triggers tab then click on New.
- Another window should open. Now, create a new schedule and set the attributes of date and time that work for you.
- When you are done with all that, click OK.
If there is an old trigger present, click on it then click Delete.
Now you have successfully scheduled a scan to run at your preferred time. This will enable your PC to function optimally while still being safe from malware.
Add Process to Exclusion List.
When a process is put in the exclusion list, Windows Defender will exclude these files, folders, or programs from scanning for malware. Therefore, you should only put programs on this list if you are sure they are safe.
Moreover, Windows Defender has built-in exclusions that also improve the system’s performance. Similarly, you can manually add applications that are impacted by scans to the exclusion list. This will also enhance a computer’s performance.
Here is how you can add a process to the exclusion list:
- First, click on the Windows start icon then type Windows Security and click on the app.
- A window should open. Now click on Virus & threat protection.
- Next, scroll down and click on Manage settings.
- After that, scroll down to Exclusions and click on Add or remove exclusions.
- A User Account Control window will pop up. Click Yes.
- Now click on Add an exclusion, then click Process from the drop-down menu.
- A window will open. Type ‘
MsMpEng.exe‘ which is the executable file for Antimalware Service Executable.
- Finally, click Add to include the process in the exclusion list.
You have successfully disabled Antimalware Service Executable by adding it to the exclusion list.
Stop the Windows Defender Antivirus Service.
This solution involves stopping the Antimalware Service Executable service temporarily. Therefore, the service will be restarted automatically.
Here is how you can disable the service:
- Go ahead and click on the Windows start icon, then type Services and click on it.
- A window should open. Now scroll down to Windows Defender Antivirus Service and right-click on it.
- A drop-down menu appears. Click Stop to temporarily stop the service.
Your system’s performance will be temporarily improved after this.
We are now to the end of our guide. In conclusion, we have learned about multiple ways of How to Disable Antimalware Service Executable on Windows 11. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂