Wondering how to disable Cast or Chromecast in Microsoft Edge?
Chromecast and Cast are enabled by default in Microsoft Edge, and users are free to use them whenever they want. With this feature, you can stream Windows 10 media content on a TV or to any other device that supports Miracast or DLNA. Using your browser, you can send videos, pictures, audio, and regular web page content across your network to compatible devices.
This feature is customizable, which means that you can easily disable Cast or Chromecast in Microsoft Edge. In this guide, we will walk you through easy methods of doing so in detail. All the methods are easy to execute, which means you should be able to make the desired changes in no time.
Let’s get started!
1. Use Registry Editor.
Windows Registry is a database that stores low-level information about operating system processes and applications. Windows uses the Registry Editor to get information about its programs and processes when performing relevant operations.
The information in the Registry Editor is stored in the form of Registry keys and by modifying the relevant keys, you can make your desired changes. In this method, we will be modifying the Edge key to disable Cast/Chromecast.
Make sure, however, that you are logged into Windows as an administrator before proceeding with the method mentioned below.
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open a Run dialogue box.
- Inside the text field of the dialogue box, type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Once you are inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the location mentioned below.
- If you cannot locate the Edge key, right-click on the Microsoft key and select the New > Key option.
- Rename this newly created key as Edge and double-click on it.
- Now right-click in the right pane and select the New > DWORD (32-bit) Value option.
- Rename this value as EnableMediaRouter.
- Double-click on EnableMediaRouter and under Value data, type 0 to disable Google Cast.
- Finally, restart your PC to save the changes.
This should make the required changes at an administrative level.
2. Try Using CleanMyPC.
It is possible that your system has become corrupt if, after following both the methods in this guide, you are still unable to achieve the desired action.
To ensure that your PC is free of bugs and corruption errors, perform a deep cleaning before following this guide. In this case, a good PC cleaner can be very helpful, as manual cleaning can be tedious and time-consuming.
In case you’ve never used a PC cleaner before, we recommend CleanMyPC.
CleanMyPC helps you solve all PC problems fast and efficiently. It comes with a wide range of tools that include (but are not limited to) a Multi-Uninstaller, Speed Boost, and Registry Cleaner. These tools can optimize your system and fix most problems.
If this looks like something your PC desperately needs, install CleanMyPC now and get your PC up and running like new!
3. Use Group Policy Editor.
Another easy way of disabling Cast or Chromecast in Microsoft Edge is by using the Group Policy Editor.
Group Policy Editor (GPE) is also a utility provided to help users customize the behavior of their operating systems from an administrative level. The information in GPE is stored in the form of policies, and by modifying the relevant policies, you can make the changes you desire.
Here is how you can use the Group Policy Editor to disable Cast or Chromecast:
- Visit Microsoft’s official website.
- Scroll down the window and select the version details of your Microsoft Edge.
- Click the GET POLICY FILES button to download the policy files.
- Once the download is complete, extract the downloaded file and then open the folder.
- In the folder, navigate to the location mentioned below.
- Copy the msedge.admx and msedge.adml files and paste them in the C:\Windows\PolicyDefinitions folder.
- Once you have pasted the files, restart your PC.
- Upon reboot, open a Run dialogue box by pressing Windows + R keys on your keyboard simultaneously.
- Inside the text field of the dialogue box, type ‘gpedit.msc‘ and hit Enter. Doing so will launch the Group Policy Editor on your PC.
- In the Group Policy Editor window, navigate to the location mentioned below.
Computer Configuration\ Administrative Templates\ Microsoft Edge\ Cast\
- In the right pane, locate and double-click on Enable Google Cast.
- Now select Not Configured or Disabled and select Apply to save the changes.
You can always change the settings back by following the steps mentioned above again and choosing Enabled in the 12th step.
This brings us to the end of our guide on ways to disable Cast or Chromecast in Microsoft Edge. We tried walking you through all the steps in detail and hope that one of the methods mentioned in this post did the trick for you. In case you still have any confusion about the steps, please let us know in the comment section below!
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂