Do you find that whenever you hide away the YouTube video and leave it in the background to play that YouTube stops playing and shows an annoying popup message saying, “Video paused. Continue watching”?
Several users have reported this issue over on Reddit with users who use YouTube as their daily music driver. It could very well be that Google may be testing out a feature that could fundamentally limit allowing youtube videos to run on the background on the search browser on PC and Mac.
Luckily, we have managed to identify a few solutions to getting rid of this infuriating, “Video paused. Continue watching” message on YouTube and once and for all.
Without wasting another second, let’s dive right in.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
How to Disable ‘Video paused. Continue watching’ on YouTube in Chrome: 3 Ways.
1. Use YouTube NonStop Extension.
Perhaps the quickest and simplest way in which you remove the “Video paused. Continue watching” annoying popup message is to download an extension called YouTube Nonstop.
This extension is available on both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox search browsers:
Our thanks go to Nikolaos Ioannou (lawfx) for creating this solution and providing this extension for free, as well as often contributing updates for the extension. You have the option to support the project, which you may donate here. 🙂
Back to our setup process, Once you’ve installed the extension, ensure that the extension is enabled by entering chrome://extensions/ into your address bar (if you’re on Chrome) or click the menu button , then click the Add-ons button and select .
Test it with any video which you were trying before and see if the issue has stopped.
2. YouTube NonStop Extension Not Working? Try Downloading It Off GitHub.
Alternatively, if none of the above Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox YouTube Nonstop extensions are not working, then you may directly download the source file from the creator’s GitHub repository.
Here are the steps:
- Head over to lawfx/YoutubeNonStop and then click on the Clone or Download button (the green one) then choose Download ZIP.
- Next, you will need to extract out the files and place them anywhere on your desktop, where you can easily access it. Personal preference is to extract the files directly into the Documents folder (on Windows) and leave the desktop homepage empty and clean.
- Now, go onto your Google Chrome and then open the extension management page by entering chrome://extensions/ into your search bar. Alternatively, you can also access this page by clicking on the menu (three-dot icon located on the top right corner) and then from under More Tools, select Extensions.
- Over here on the Extensions page, you will want to make sure that you’ve switched on the Developer mode toggle located on the top-right corner.
- Lastly, click on the Load unpacked button and then select the extracted extension file which you had downloaded in Steps 1 & 2.
You’re done! Just make sure the extension is turned on and also ensure that you do not ever delete the extension file. Even if you decide to move the extension folder to another location, then you will have to repeat the Steps 3-5 to load it in.
3. Get YouTube Premium.
One reasoning for this issue could be that that Google (YouTube) aims to get more users who use YouTube to stream music to nudge them over on to their YouTube Premium service.
It also makes sense considering the amount of YouTube Premium ads increases the more you use YouTube as a music streaming service rather than as a video content service.
Hence, if you want to remove the ads, get background play on mobile and the ability to download and save videos, then the $11.99 per month YouTube Premium may entice you. You can register for YouTube Premium here.
There have been no reports of this “Video paused. Continue watching” message being shown to YouTube Premium users as of now, so that would be the logical explanation.
We hope that this guide has helped remove the ‘Video paused. Continue watching’ on YouTube in Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you have questions, please feel free to leave a comment below, and we will love to help you out. ❤
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂