Wondering why your Discord stream has no sound?
Although Discord is considered one of the best communication platforms out there, it doesn’t come without issues. If you’ve tried to use the screen share feature recently, you probably noticed that there was no sound on your stream.
As it turns out, you’re not the only one.
Many Discord users have dealt with this issue repeatedly, and Discord can’t seem to resolve it permanently.
Unfortunately, the reason behind this problem may vary from one system to another. Most common reasons are improper configurations or outdated software. However, it can also be due to faulty hardware or offline servers.
Luckily, this issue on Discord can be fixed easily.
Today, we’ll show you what to do if your Discord stream has no sound.
1. Check Discord Servers.
Before doing anything on your system, we recommend identifying where the problem is coming from first. This way, you can narrow down the possible solutions for your case and save some time.
Visit Discord’s status page, where you can view the current situation of their services.
If there’s an ongoing issue on the platform, the only option you have is to wait since server-related issues are not addressable on your end.
On the other hand, you can proceed to the next solution below if Discord’s services are working.
2. Restart Your PC.
One of the quickest ways to fix most issues on Discord is to restart your system. This should reset Discord’s temporary data and eliminate bugs and errors that may have occurred during runtime.
Check out the steps below to restart your PC:
- Click the Windows icon on the Taskbar to open the Start Menu.
- Now, go to the Power Options tab.
- Finally, choose Restart.
Try sharing your screen afterward to check if the problem is solved.
3. Run Discord As Admin.
Discord may not have the proper permissions to access your system and record your screen and audio. To rule this out, run Discord as an administrator to give it full access to your system and hardware.
Here’s how you can run Discord as an administrator:
- First, locate Discord from your desktop.
- After that, right-click on the app and choose Properties.
- Lastly, go to the Compatibility tab and enable the ‘Run this Program as an Administrator’ option.
Relaunch Discord and check if your stream has sound.
4. Update Your Audio Driver.
Another reason your Discord stream has no sound is if your device drivers are outdated or corrupted. In this case, we suggest updating your audio drivers to ensure they are working correctly.
Follow the steps below to update your audio drivers on Windows:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Menu.
- Now, click on Device Manager and expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs tab.
- Finally, right-click on your audio device and choose Update Driver.
Restart your system after the update and check if your stream now has sound.
5. Clear Discord App Cache.
Temporary bugs and glitches on Discord may have caused its cache to corrupt. When this happens, the app may not work since it cannot access the necessary data for certain features.
To fix this, follow the guide below to clear Discord’s cache:
- Press the Windows + R keys on your keyboard to open the Run Command.
- Now, type ‘%appdata%’ and hit Enter to open the folder.
- Finally, open the Discord folder and delete its content.
Restart Discord afterward and check if the problem is solved.
6. Change Your Screen Share Settings.
Discord implements various technologies and features to improve the platform’s performance. However, some of these features are not yet stable and could cause issues on your end if you decide to use them.
If your Discord stream has no sound, follow the guide below to change your screen share configurations:
- On Discord, access the Settings and go to Voice & Video.
- Now, scroll down and look for the Screen Share tab.
- Finally, disable the ‘Use an Experimental Method to Capture Audio from Applications’ option.
Restart the app after changing your configurations and see if the problem is solved.
7. Share Your Application.
Some users prefer to share their entire screen on Discord. However, this option doesn’t support audio recording at the moment. If you want to stream on the platform, you’ll have to share a specific application to include audio.
Here’s how you can stream properly on Discord:
- First, join a voice channel on your server.
- After that, click the Share Screen button at the lower left corner of your window.
- Lastly, click on the Applications tab and choose the app you want to share.
If your stream still doesn’t have audio after doing this, proceed to the last method.
8. Report the Problem to Discord.
At this point, the last option you have is to ask for help from the professionals.
Visit Discord’s Support page and contact their team to report the issue you’ve been experiencing when sharing your screen. Provide your account details and the app you want to share to make it easier for Discord to troubleshoot the issue.
While waiting, you can also browse the guides on their page and see if you can find alternative solutions.
That wraps up our guide for fixing your Discord stream if it has no sound. For your questions and other concerns, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂