Looking for ways to fix DISM “restorehealth” error 0x800f081f?
DISM is a command-line tool that manages Windows Images, both online and offline. This tool is often used to repair the errors which a System File Checker (SFC) cannot.
Most of the time, running the /RestoreHealth command will solve all the corruption errors within the system, but what if the /RestoreHealth parameter fails to respond? Sounds horrific, right?
Well, if you have been facing the DISM “restorehealth” error while trying to scan for errors in your PC, we got you covered. But before jumping straight to the solutions, let’s have a look at the causes of this error.
DISM Error 0x800f081f occurs when one of the following conditions is true:
- The Windows Component Store is corrupted.
- DISM is unable to restore the missing files because it cannot access Microsoft servers.
- Installation files are corrupted, invalid, or inaccurate.
- The user does not have READ access to the files and their location.
- The specified location does not contain the files required for installation.
This guide will walk you through the process of fixing the DISM ‘restorehealth’ Error 0x800f081f in detail.
Let’s get started.
1. Perform a Component Cleanup.
The /Cleanup-Image parameter of DISM scans for corruption errors within the system and attempts to repair the issues. We recommend performing a component cleanup before running any troubleshooters as most of the time, doing so will solve the error.
To perform a component cleanup, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Type cmd in the search bar and click on Run as administrator.
- In elevated Command Prompt, type the commands listed below.
dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Once the process is complete, type the command mentioned below.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Hopefully, you will be able to run the DISM command without any issues. If the error persists, see the next method mentioned below.
2. Get Source from Windows Image.
You can also fix DISM ‘restorehealth’ Error 0x800f081f by downloading the latest Windows ISO file. ISO files allow the users to install and update Windows without any issue. This process is a bit complicated, which is why we recommend following it step-by-step to execute it successfully.
To get a source file from Windows image, follow the steps mentioned below:
Download Windows Installation Media in ISO format.
The first step is to download Windows Installation Media in ISO format. If your system already has Windows Installation Media, we suggest you re-download it.
To download Windows Installation Media in ISO format, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download the Windows Media Creation Tool.
- Once the installation is complete, open the file and accept the “License Terms”.
- Choose “Create installation media for another PC” and click Next.
- Click Next at the “Select Language, architecture and edition” screen.
- Next, select ISO file under “Choose Which Media to Use” option and click Next.
- Choose a location where you want to save the Windows ISO source file and click Save.
The download will take a few minutes to complete. Once the operation is complete, move towards the next step.
Extract the install.wim file from the install.esd file.
Media Creation Tool downloads Windows ISO that contains an “install.esd” source file. Whereas, the file required to solve the DISM error 0x800f081f is an “install.wim” source file.
After the download is complete, the second step is to extract the “install.wim” file from the “install.esd” file. To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Right-click at the Windows ISO file you downloaded and select Mount.
- This will open a new window. Copy the install.esd file from the Source folder to the Root folder of C drive.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type cd\ to access the Root folder of drive C.
- Now to find the images inside the “install.esd” source file, type the command mentioned below.
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.esd
- Note down your index number according to the installed version of Windows on your PC.
- Next, type the command mentioned below. Don’t forget to replace “IndexNumber” with its value.
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:IndexNumber /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
- Once the process is complete, go to the C drive. You should find the “install.wim” source file on the drive (C:).
After finding the “install.wim” file, move down to the next and final step.
Run DISM Tool to Repair Windows Image.
After extracting the “install.wim” file, you can repair Windows image by running the DISM tool. Windows image is a set of files that contains everything on the hard drive of your computer. Repairing Windows image will help your PC get rid of all the errors and issues within the system.
To fix DISM ‘restorehealth’ error 0x800f081f by repairing Windows image, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Run Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Type the command mentioned below and hit Enter.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
- Once the operation is complete, type the command mentioned below and press Enter to execute it.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
- Now you can repair Windows image by typing the command mentioned below.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:WIM:c:\install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Once the process is complete, type the command mentioned below and hit Enter.
That’s it! Doing so will solve the error on your PC, and you should be able to run DISM without any issues. Make sure to follow the steps exactly as mentioned above for a successful execution. If the DISM error message appears again, see the next step mentioned below.
3. Upgrade Windows.
If the methods mentioned above did not work for you, you should try upgrading your Windows. This process is time-consuming, but it resolves all the issues within the system by reinstalling the Windows core.
To upgrade Windows, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download the Media Creation Tool.
- Once the file is downloaded, run it as an administrator.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and click on Upgrade this PC now on “What do you want to do?” window and click Next.
- Once the process is complete, you can try running the /RestoreHealth command again.
Upgrading Windows using the Media Creation Tool will solve all the Windows issues without damaging any files or programs.
This wraps up our guide on fixing DISM ‘restorehealth’ error 0x800f081f in Windows. We hope our methods helped you solve the issue on your computer. Moreover, we have also discussed the DISM source files could not be found on Windows 10, 8, or 7 error in our previous guide. Don’t forget to give it a read if you have been facing the “DISM source files could not be found” error. If you still have any confusion, let us know in the comment section below. We will try to help you as much as we can!
If this guide helped you, please share it.