Wondering how to enable or disable News and Interests on taskbar in Windows 10?
Every morning, before getting started with the routine tasks, we all like taking a quick look at the headlines to see what the world has been up to while we were catching some Zzzs. Of course, that includes checking the weather and catching up on the prices of our favorite stocks too.
There is also nothing better than the feeling of being able to access information important to you easily, without the distraction of switching from one platform to another. Fortunately, Microsoft acknowledged this need of users and introduced the ‘News and Interests’ section on the taskbar recently.
This feature presents you with all the relevant information by simply clicking on an icon on your taskbar. The best part, however, is that the ‘News and Interests’ feature is customizable, which means you can enable or disable it according to your preferences.
In this guide, we will show you how you can do that in a few simple steps.
Let’s get started!
1. Use Windows Registry.
The Windows Registry consists of low-level settings and configurations for Windows applications and programs. Programs can access computer resources through it, while you can store your custom OS settings within it.
The Windows Registry stores information about programs and processes as Registry keys, and you can customize your operating system by modifying the relevant keys.
In this method, we will modify Registry keys related to ‘News and Interests’ to make the desired changes. We recommend performing the steps mentioned below carefully, since even a slight error can cause serious issues within the operating system.
Here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open a Run dialogue box.
- In the text field of the dialogue box, type ‘regedit‘ and hit Enter. This will open Windows Registry on your PC.
- Once you are inside the Registry Editor, navigate to the location mentioned below.
- Right-click in the right pane and select the New > DWORD (32-bit) Value option.
- Rename this newly created value as EnableFeeds and double-click on it.
- To enable News and Interests, type 1 under Value data, and to disable it, type 0.
- Finally, hit Enter and restart your PC.
This should help you make the desired changes in no time.
2. Try Using CleanMyPC.
If the solutions we recommend do not work for you, you may have malware, which is causing errors in your system and preventing you from performing certain tasks. This issue can be resolved by removing all junk files from your computer before using the methods mentioned in this guide.
The best way to remove junk or corrupt files from your PC is by using a PC cleaner, and CleanMyPC is our personal favorite.
CleanMyPC comes with a variety of system maintenance tools that can deal with other PC problems. A scan performed using this tool will identify and repair problems with very little input from the user.
Also, CleanMyPC is a very easy-to-use program, so even if you’ve never used a PC cleaner before, you should not have a problem!
3. Use Group Policy Editor.
If you find using Windows Registry complicated, then try using the Group Policy Editor.
It serves as an administrative tool designed to help advanced users customize the operating system to their preferences. Windows Group Policy Editor stores data as policies, which can be altered to customize Windows operation according to individual preferences.
Here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows + R keys on your keyboard simultaneously to open a Run dialogue box.
- Inside the text field of the dialogue box, type ‘gpedit.msc‘ and hit Enter. This will launch the Group Policy Editor on your PC.
- In the newly launched window, navigate to the location mentioned below.
Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Component > News and interests.
- In the right pane, locate and double-click on Enable news and interests on the taskbar.
- Select Enabled or Disabled according to your preferences and hit Apply.
- Restart your PC to save the changes.
Hopefully, doing so will enable or disable News and Interest in Windows 10.
This brings us to the end of our guide on ways to enable or disable News and Interests on taskbar in Windows 10. We hope that one of the methods mentioned above helped you perform the desired operation. If you have any questions regarding the methods listed in this guide, feel free to let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂