Do you see a message saying ‘an error occurred while starting Roblox’ when you attempt to open the platform?
Roblox is a popular online game creation platform where players can enjoy thousands of games created by other users and build their own games as well. Roblox is quite easy to run with minimal system requirements making it accessible to anyone with a decent computer.
However, if you’re having difficulty launching Roblox, there’s definitely something wrong.
Usually, the ‘an error occurred while starting Roblox’ message occurs when the platform can’t find some files on your system. Other factors such as improper settings, third-party applications, and outdated software could also trigger this error message.
Today, we will show you what to do if you see the ‘an error occurred while starting Roblox’ message on your computer.
Let’s get right into it!
1. Restart Your Computer.
If Roblox won’t launch on your computer, the first thing we suggest doing is restarting your system. Roblox’s installation files may not have initialized properly when you first boot your system, causing it to run into errors.
To fix this, restart your system to reload all your resources. Here’s how you can do this on Windows:
- First, open the Start Menu on your computer.
- After that, access the Power Options tab.
- Lastly, click on Restart to reboot your operating system.
Try launching Roblox afterward to see if the error message still occurs.
2. Run Roblox As Administartor.
Roblox may not have the proper permissions to access its files on your computer. To fix this, simply run Roblox as an administrator to bypass any restrictions set by your system.
Follow the steps below to launch Roblox as an admin:
- On your computer, go to your desktop and right-click on Roblox.
- Next, choose Properties and access the Compatibility tab.
- Finally, enable the ‘Run this Program as an Administrator’ option and save the changes.
Open Roblox afterward to check if the platform will successfully launch on your system.
3. Check Your Network Connection.
Since Roblox is an online platform, it needs a decent internet connection to run. If the platform encounters an error at launch, it may indicate that your network is unstable or slow. You can confirm this by running a speed test using Fast.com.
If the result shows that your network is the problem, restart your router to refresh your connection. Remove your router from the power source and allow it to rest for a few seconds. Plug back in your router’s power cable afterward to restart it.
Once done, perform another test on your network to check if the problem is solved. If not, get in touch with your ISP and ask them to fix your connection.
4. Flush Your DNS.
A corrupted DNS cache could also be the reason for the ‘an error occurred while starting Roblox’ issue. To rule this out, try flushing your DNS cache using the Command Prompt to ensure that there are no corrupted data on your system.
Here’s how you can flush your DNS:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + X keys to open the Quick Access Menu.
- Next, click on Command Prompt (Admin) to launch CMD.
- Finally, type ‘ipconfig /flushdns’ and hit Enter to run the command.
After flushing your DNS, restart your computer and try launching Roblox again.
5. Allow Roblox Through Your Firewall.
Windows Defender Firewall is a security feature on your operating system that manages the access of applications to the internet. If Roblox doesn’t launch on your computer, your firewall may be blocking it from accessing your network.
To fix this, see the steps below to allow Roblox through your firewall:
- On your computer, go to Windows Settings and click on Update & Security.
- After that, open the Windows Security tab and access the Firewall & Network Protection tab.
- Now, click on Allow an App Through Firewall and locate Roblox.
- Finally, ensure that the platform can access both your Private and Public Networks.
Go back to Roblox afterward to check if the problem is solved.
6. Disable Your Antivirus.
If you’re using third-party antivirus, disable it first before launching Roblox. Some antivirus software gets too protective and flags down even legitimate applications, restricting their access to your system and network.
You can also add Roblox to your antivirus’ safelist or allowed list if it supports that feature to prevent the program from blocking the platform.
7. Update Windows.
The current version of Windows you’re using may not be compatible with the version of Roblox installed on your system. To rule out this scenario, ensure that you’re using the latest version of Windows on your computer.
For Roblox, you don’t have to worry since the game updates itself every time you launch it.
See the steps below to update Windows:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows + I keys to access Windows Settings.
- After that, click on Update & Security.
- Finally, go to Windows Update and click on Check for Updates.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the update on your computer. Try running Roblox again to see if the error message would still show up.
If you’re experiencing issues while updating Windows, you can visit our Windows Update troubleshooting guides to assist you.
8. Reinstall Roblox.
If none of the solutions above worked for you, the option left is to reinstall Roblox. Some of your installation files may have gotten corrupted or deleted by mistake, which causes the platform not to run.
Here’s how you can delete Roblox on Windows:
- First, go to the Control Panel.
- After that, click on Uninstall a Program and locate Roblox from the list of apps installed on your computer.
- Lastly, right-click on Roblox and choose Uninstall. Follow the prompts to continue with the process.
Once done, go to Roblox’s website and reinstall the platform from there. You can also go to the Microsoft Store and try the UWP version of Roblox.
This ends our guide for fixing the ‘an error occurred while starting Roblox’ issue. If you have questions, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂