Is your Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro?
Starting from iPhone X, Apple has embedded a facial recognition technology that is used not only to unlock your device but also to authenticate downloads, authorize purchases, and more. But despite its importance, the feature may sometimes encounter issues and cause you trouble.
Face ID can stop working due to several reasons, which include running an outdated iOS, something blocking your camera, the device being locked for more than two days, software bugs, damaged hardware, and so on.
Whatever the reason, we’ve got you covered on the Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro. If you can’t set up the feature or Face ID is suddenly unavailable, follow through with this guide and get this error resolved in no time.
So what’s the wait for? Let’s get started right away!
1. Ensure Face ID is Set Up.
iPhone doesn’t come with Face ID enabled at default for obvious reasons. In order for it to work, you must configure it and provide access to the functions for which you intend to use it. In case you’re not sure if it’s enabled for a certain app, you can go through the settings to verify.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, tap on Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your device’s passcode to continue.
- Ensure that the Face ID is enabled for the feature you’re trying to use it for. You can make use of the Face ID for iPhone Unlock, iTunes & App Store, Wallet & Apple Pay, Password Refill.
- If you have not set up Face ID, tap on Set Up Face ID to continue.
2. Check Face ID Permissions For Third-Party Apps.
If you’ve installed a third-party app and are unable to use the Face ID on it, you might not have been granted the necessary permissions. Face ID needs to be enabled for each app separately from the settings.
Below are the steps you must follow:
- Open Settings from your device.
- Next, scroll down and tap on the app on which the Face ID is not working.
- Finally, turn on the toggle for Face ID.
If you wish to see all the apps requesting Face ID access on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Head to the Settings app.
- Select Face ID & Passcode.
- Afterward, tap on Other Apps.
3. Ensure the TrueDepth Camera Is Not Blocked.
Apple has incorporated Face ID in iPhone X and later models because the previous ones lack the TrueDepth sensor, which is required for the Face ID to work. It is located in the pill of your iPhone 14 Pro.
So if you’re encountering the issue of Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro, ensure that your case or screen protector isn’t blocking the TrueDepth camera. In such a situation, remove the case or the protector to see if that resolves the issue.
At times, tiny dirt particles or debris can also find their way around the camera, blocking the sensor and hindering its functionality. If you think this is the case, perform an inspection and use a dry microfiber cloth to clean the area. If the issue still persists, move to the other methods mentioned in this guide.
4. Face the TrueDepth Camera.
In the latest iOS release and for specific models, Face ID can be used in any orientation, be it portrait or landscape. However, you’re required to face the TrueDepth camera to authorize device access unless, of course, you’ve disabled the option Require Attention for Face ID.
Thus, whenever you have trouble with Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro, remember to face the camera during authentication or turn off Require Attention for Face ID by following the steps below:
- From the Settings app, go to Face ID & Passcode.
- Enter your passcode when prompted.
- Then, switch on the toggle for Require Attention for Face ID.
5. Don’t Cover Your Face.
After the global pandemic, iPhone released an update in the Face ID that enables you to set up Face ID with a mask. If you’ve done that already, you shouldn’t have any problem with Face ID, even when you’re wearing a mask. But if something else is covering your face features, iPhone facial recognition will fail to work.
6. Restart Your Device.
Restarting your device is the most straightforward fix whenever any software glitch or bug causes your device to behave abnormally and affects its functionality. It discards all cache files and restarts the device services and applications, getting rid of the error.
Here’s how to reboot your iPhone 14 Pro:
- Press and hold one of the Volume buttons or the Side button.
- Let it go once the slider appears on the screen.
- Slide all the way to the right to power off your iPhone.
- Lastly, wait a while before pressing and holding the Side button to restart it.
Once your device restarts, you’ll need to enter your passcode to unlock it the first time. So follow this method only if you remember your passcode.
7. Check For iOS Updates.
Since there are numerous reports by iPhone 14 Pro users about their Face ID not working, Apple might be on the edge of releasing a minor update that will hopefully contain the required fix.
So keep checking your device for any updates and install them when available by following the steps below:
- From the Settings app, tap on General.
- Now, select Software Updates.
- Finally, if you come across a pending update, tap on Download and Install to update your iPhone 14 Pro to the latest iOS version.
8. Set Up An Alternate Appearance.
Apple lets you create an alternate appearance for times when you constantly change the way you look, like wearing glasses or headgear, growing facial hair, etc. This lets the machine learning Face ID feature recognize you in all states and approve your identity.
Here’s how to do it:
- To begin, head over to Settings.
- Next, choose Face ID & Passcode. Provide your passcode to proceed.
- Choose Set Up An Alternative Appearance.
- Finally, follow the on-screen prompts to continue setting up an Alternative Appearance.
9. Reset Face ID.
If you’ve been unsuccessful in resolving the Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro issue till now, we recommend you reset your Face ID and set it up again. This will refresh the feature and eliminate any potential causes that might be residing within it.
Below are the steps you’re required to follow:
- From Settings, go to Face ID & Passcode.
- Then, tap on Reset Face ID.
- Afterward, restart your iPhone.
- Once your device restarts, head back to the Settings app.
- Select Face ID & Passcode.
- At last, tap on Set Up Face ID and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
10. Reset the Device to Factory Settings.
Your last resort to dealing with Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro on your own is to reset your device to default settings. This will completely erase all data on your device, hopefully eliminating whatever is causing the stated error. Before following this method, remember to back up your important data, if any.
After that, follow the steps below:
- Go to Settings and tap on General.
- Scroll down and select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Choose Reset and tap on Reset All Settings.
- Once your device settings are set to default, try setting up your Face ID again and check if it works or not.
11. Contact Apple Support.
In case none of the methods were able to fix Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro issue, your last resort is to contact Apple Support. You may have recently dropped your device, resulting in a hardware issue. The professional team will inspect and hopefully resolve the issue.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix Face ID not working on iPhone 14 Pro. If you still have any confusion, feel free to let us know through the comment section below. We’ll be happy to provide further assistance on the matter.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊