Are you experiencing a “Failed to Connect to the Rockstar Games Library Service” error message with the Rockstar Game Launcher?
Well, you are not alone. Several users have reported that they are having issues playing their games as the game launcher fails to connect to Rockstar Games Library Service. Rockstar has been popular for their awesome titles like Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption. If you are also among the users that experience problems with Rockstar Games Library Service, then you have come to the right place.
The “Failed to Connect to the Rockstar Games Library Service” error is mainly due to the RGL service not starting up automatically on Windows. However, this is not always the case so we decided to extend a helping hand.
In this guide, we are going to show you a few tips and tricks that you can do to try and troubleshoot the issue regarding the Rockstar Game Launcher so that you can get back to gaming as soon as possible.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Run the Launcher as an Administrator.
- 2. Restart Your Computer.
- 3. Revert the Disk Drive’s Letter to Default Settings.
- 4. Enable Rockstar Games Library Service.
- 5. Edit Your System Registry.
- 6. Uninstall Social Club on Your Computer.
- 7. Reinstall the Game.
1. Run the Launcher as an Administrator.
If you are having problems using the Rockstar Game Launcher, the first thing that you can try is to run the program as an administrator. It is possible that the launcher lacks the correct privileges like accessing your network connection or reading your hard drive which causes the Rockstar Game Launcher to not work properly.
Running the launcher as an administrator would grant it all the privileges needed for it to function properly. To do this, you can follow the steps below.
- On your computer, go to the Desktop and right-click on Rockstar Game Launcher.
- Now, click on Run as Administrator to run the launcher as an admin.
- Lastly, a prompt will pop-up verifying your action, just click on Yes.
Now, wait for the launcher to open to check if the issue with connecting to Rockstar Games Library Service is already resolved.
However, if the issue is still there you can proceed to the next method below.
2. Restart Your Computer.
When the game launcher does not function properly, it is possible that some of its important files were not loaded properly which causes it to encounter temporary glitches when running.
To fix this, you can try restarting your computer to rule out any temporary bugs and errors that may have occurred.
To restart your computer, follow the steps below.
- On your computer, click on the Windows icon located at the lower left side of the taskbar.
- After that, click on the Power button to open the Power Menu.
- Lastly, click on the Restart Button.
Now, wait for your computer to finish restarting, then try to open the Rockstar Game Launcher to see if the “Failed to Connect to the Rockstar Games Library Service” error is already fixed.
3. Revert the Disk Drive’s Letter to Default Settings.
If you have recently added a new hard drive on your computer or if you have changed your drive’s assigned letter path, then this can cause issues on the game launcher.
The Rockstar Game Launcher would still look into the old letter path of your hard drive for its files, but it won’t be able to find any since you have changed the default letter assigned on your hard drive.
To fix this, it is best that you revert back any changes on your hard drive’s letter path.
- On your computer, press on the Windows Key + S and search for Computer Management.
- After that, click on Run as Administrator to launch the Computer Management tool as an admin.
- Now, inside the Computer Management, click on Disk Management under the Storage section from the side menu.
- Find your hard drive from the list, then right-click on it and select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Lastly, click on Change and select the default drive letter path for your hard drive. Mostly the default letter path for your hard drive is C.
Now, restart your computer and try opening the Rockstar Game Launcher to see if the issue would still occur after reverting the hard drive’s letter path.
4. Enable Rockstar Games Library Service.
The Rockstar Games Library Service is an essential component for the game launcher to work properly. However, for unknown reasons, there are instances where the service would not run automatically on Windows. In this case, you can try running the service manually to make the game launcher work properly.
Check out the guide below to guide you through the process.
- On your computer, press CTRL + ALT + DEL on your keyboard and click on Task Manager.
- After running the Task Manager, click on the Startup tab.
- Lastly, find the Rockstar Game Library Services from the selection and click on the Enable button.
After that, restart your computer so that the service would start up automatically. Now, try to open the Rockstar Game Launcher to see if the problem is already fixed.
On the other hand, if you still encounter the error after starting the Rockstar Game Library Service, you can try editing your system registry which is discussed further below.
5. Edit Your System Registry.
System registry is an important component for applications and Windows operating systems to work together seamlessly. However, if Rockstar Game Launcher’s registry files are not configured properly, it can cause performance issues and problems for the program.
To fix Rockstar Game Launcher’s registry, you can follow the steps below to guide you through the process.
- First, press on the Windows Key + S on your computer and search for the Registry Editor.
- After that, click on Open to launch the Registry Editor.
- Now, navigate carefully to this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rockstar Service.
- Lastly, edit the key “ImagePath” and make sure that its values are inside the quotes.
After that, save the changes and restart your computer. Now, launch Rockstar Game Launcher to see if the issue would still occur after editing your System Registry.
6. Uninstall Social Club on Your Computer.
Social Club is installed on your computer together with Rockstar Game Launcher and the actual game that you are playing. However, this is not a vital part of the game launcher and can also cause corruption in your installation files.
It is possible that a new update caused the dependencies of the Social club and the actual game to break. With this, uninstalling the Social Club application on your computer can potentially solve the issue regarding the Rockstar Game Launcher.
- On your computer, press on Windows Key + S and search for the Control Panel.
- After that, click on Open.
- Inside the Control Panel, click on Uninstall a Program.
- Lastly, right-click on Social Club and select Uninstall.
Now, restart your computer and try opening the Rockstar Game Launcher to check if the “Failed to Connect to the Rockstar Games Library Service” error is already fixed.
7. Reinstall the Game.
Sadly, if none of the methods above worked to fix the issue on the Rockstar Game Launcher. The last thing that you can do is to reinstall the launcher itself and the games you have downloaded. It is possible that the game files and program files of the launcher have been corrupted and it is best that you just redownload it to ensure that you have a fresh copy of the program.
To uninstall the launcher and the actual games installed on your computer, you can follow the steps on Method 6 to guide you on the process. However, if you have the game installed on Steam, check out the steps below.
- On your desktop, open Steam and log in to your account.
- After that, go to the Library tab located at the upper left part of your screen.
- Next, find and right-click on the Rockstar Games installed on your computer.
- Lastly, click on Manage and select Uninstall to start removing the installation files on your computer.
Now, redownload all the games and the launcher to your computer and see if the issue is already fixed.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix the “Failed to Connect to the Rockstar Games Library Service” error on your computer. If you know other methods on how to fix this kind of issue with Rockstar Games, kindly share it in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂