Can’t play Among Us properly due to a high ping that causes lags and delays?
Having a stable internet connection is one of the key factors when playing online multiplayer games. Among Us is a multiplayer game where players act as a cabin crew for a spaceship and an impostor is placed among the crew with a goal to kill most of the crew members.
If you plan to be competitive on the game, you should have a steady internet connection with low ping and latency so that you can perform the sneakiest kills smoothly.
However, there have been reports from several players who are having a hard time playing Among Us due to their high ping.
Most of the time, high pings on any game is due to a slow or unstable internet connection. However, there are also cases where the problem is caused by improper configurations on your device, game server issues, or outdated software.
With this, we’ve decided to extend a helping hand to the gaming community.
Today, we are going to show you several techniques on how to fix the high ping in Among Us.
Let’s jump right in!
- 1. Check Among Us Servers.
- 2. Use a Dedicated Server for Your Region.
- 3. Check Your Internet Connection.
- 4. Update the Game.
- 5. Reinstall Network Drivers.
- 6. Stop Other Applications.
- 7. Change Your DNS Server.
- 8. Use a VPN.
1. Check Among Us Servers.
The first thing that you should do if you see any unusual behavior on the game is to check its servers. If InnerSloth’s servers for Among Us are currently experiencing issues, then you can’t do anything but to wait for them to fix their servers.
To verify if their servers are indeed down, you can check Innersloth’s Twitter account where they give constant updates regarding the status of their servers.
Do know we're super duper aware of the server issues, things are being done! In the mean time, please make sure you are playing in the correct region and are on the current v2020.9.9 !
— Innersloth (@InnerslothDevs) September 17, 2020
If possible, check their account from time to time so that you would be informed once their servers are up and running.
2. Use A Server Dedicated for Your Region.
After checking if Among Us servers are down, what you can try doing next is to select a server that is nearest to your location. Connecting to a server from other regions would cause delays with data transmission, which causes your ping to rise.
To change your server settings, check out the steps below:
- First, open Among Us on your device (PC, Android, iOS). On the main menu, tap on Online.
- Now, click on the world icon from the bottom right corner of your screen.
- Lastly, select a server nearest to your location.
After that, try to join a game once again and observe if you would still suffer from a high ping.
3. Check Your Internet Connection.
As we mentioned, high pings on most games are caused mainly by your internet connection. It is possible that your network is not working properly or your internet is running slow.
To verify this, you can try using a third-party speed test site like Fast.com, which effectively measures your network connection upload and download speed.
If the speed test result comes out to be slow or not close to the speed bandwidth indicated on your subscription plan, what you can do is to give your router a restart. To do this, simply locate your router’s power cable and unplug it. Now, wait for 5 to 10 seconds and plug in the power cable to turn on your router.
After the restart, run another speed test to verify if your internet connection is already running properly. However, if you are still experiencing issues with your network, we suggest that you contact your ISP (Internet Service Provider) and report to them the issue you are having with their service.
4. Update the Game.
If you are running an outdated version of Among Us on your device, there is a good chance that it is having a hard time connecting to the game servers or it already has an underlying issue or glitch that causes high pings in-game.
To rule out this scenario, try updating the game to the latest version.
For Desktop PCs, check out the guide below on how to update Among Us:
- First, open Steam on your computer.
- After that, click on the Library tab from the navigation bar.
- Lastly, click on Among Us and tap the Update button if an update is available.
On Android devices, you can update the app by doing the following:
- On your Android device, tap on the Google Play Store to open it.
- Now, tap on the button with three horizontal lines located on the search bar to open the side menu.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games.
- Lastly, click on the Update button beside Among Us if an update is available.
Finally, if you are using an iOS device to play Among Us, you can check for an update by following the steps below:
- First, go to your home screen and tap on the App Store to open it.
- After that, tap on the Updates tab from the bottom navigation bar.
- Lastly, tap on the Update button beside the app if an update is available.
Once the game is completely updated, try joining another game to verify if the high ping on Among Us is already fixed.
5. Reinstall Network Drivers.
Problematic network drivers can also cause an unstable connection with your games and other apps. If you haven’t updated your network drivers for a long time, it is best that you try reinstalling it so that any errors that have occurred would be fixed as well as update your driver to the latest version possible.
To update your network drivers, follow the steps below to guide you through the process:
- First, press on Windows key + S on your keyboard and search for Device Manager.
- After that, click on Open.
- Next, click on the Network Adapters tab to expand it.
- Finally, right-click on your network adapter and select Uninstall Device. Follow the on-screen prompts to proceed with the process.
Once your network drivers are uninstalled, restart your computer and Windows will automatically install the proper drivers for your network adapter.
Go back to the game and try to play online to see if lags and delays would still occur.
6. Stop Other Applications.
If you have other applications running on your system while playing Among Us, try closing the apps that require an internet connection which can decrease the bandwidth allotted for Among Us.
To do this, check out the steps below:
- First, press on Windows key + X on your keyboard to open the Quick Start Menu.
- Now, click on Task Manager.
- Inside the Task Manager, identify the app that uses the most bandwidth.
- Lastly, click on the app and hit the End Task button to stop it from running.
Go back to Among Us and check if your ping returned to normal after closing the app.
However, if your ping remains high after closing other applications, head down below and try the next solution.
7. Change Your DNS Server.
Another possible cause of an unstable network connection is your DNS servers. If your ISP is currently having problems with their servers, then it is guaranteed that you would have high ping on any game that you try.
To fix this, try using Google’s DNS servers temporarily while your ISP is still having issues.
- On your computer, press on Windows key + I on your keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- After that, click on Network & Internet.
- Now, click on Change Adapter Options.
- Inside Network Connections, right-click on your network adapter and select Properties.
- Next, double-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4).
- Lastly, select ‘Use the Following DNS Server Addresses’ and enter the following.
Primary DNS: 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS: 18.104.22.168
Now, save the changes and go back to Among Us. Try to play another game to see if your ping would still go high after changing your DNS server.
8. Use a VPN.
For your last resort, try to use a VPN service when playing Among Us. VPN service can redirect your traffic to the nearest server of Among Us so that you can play the game even in other regions.
With this, be sure to select a server on your VPN that is nearest to your desired Among Us server. If you have no idea what VPN to use, check out our guide regarding VPN services which you can also use to watch Netflix US outside the region.
This sums up our guide on how to fix the high ping on Among Us. If you know other ways on how to keep your ping low while playing Among Us, kindly share it in the comment section below. We would be glad to give credit to your name for the solution once we update this article.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂