Trying to fix the “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” error on your iPhone?
Visual Voicemail makes everything easier. You can check voicemail without dialing anything. Simply browse through the inbox-like interface. Listening to voicemails in order and deleting them is one tap away. That is until it suddenly becomes unavailable.
Seeing the error message “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” every time you check your voicemail can be pretty annoying. Network-related issues are often the culprit. Software problems can also cause the error. Nevertheless, the error is fixable.
In this article, we list down several solutions. These include step-by-step instructions on how to pull off these workarounds. Here’s how to fix the “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” error on your iPhone.
Let’s dig in!
1. Switch Cellular Data On.
You probably know that Visual Voicemail only works when the cellular connection is enabled. But maybe, you’ve accidentally turned it off. That could be causing the issue. So it pays to check your phone’s cellular data settings and turn it back on if it’s off.
Here’s how to do it:
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Next, tap Cellular.
- If the toggle button beside Cellular Data is grey, tap it to turn it green and active.
- Then, scroll down and ensure the toggles for Phone and Settings are green and enabled.
- Go back to Visual Voicemail and see if you can use it again without a glitch.
If the cellular connection isn’t the problem, browse below to learn other potential fixes.
2. Toggle Airplane Mode On and Off.
Your network plays a key role in enabling voicemail technology. So if your iPhone suddenly encounters a network problem, there could be issues with Visual Voicemail.
One way to work around network problems is to toggle Airplane Mode off and on. Doing so helps your iPhone reconnect to a cell tower and gain a stronger signal. This simple trick can make your Visual Voicemail working again.
Here’s how to do the Airplane Mode trick:
- First, launch Settings. Alternatively, you can go to Control Center.
- Look for the Airplane Mode button. Toggle it on.
- Wait a few seconds.
- Toggle the button beside Airplane Mode off again.
Now, open your Phone app and check your voicemails. If it’s still not working, try it again. But this time, restart your device after enabling Airplane Mode. Then, toggle the Airplane Mode button off once your phone is back on.
3. Reset Network Settings.
If the Airplane trick didn’t fix the “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” error, there may be something wrong with your phone’s network settings. You can reset it easily.
Note that resetting your network settings means restoring it to default. You won’t lose personal data like photos, music, and apps. But you have to note your saved Wi-Fi passwords and VPN credentials. These will be deleted after the reset is complete.
Here’s how to reset your phone’s network settings:
- Start by opening Settings on your iPhone.
- Select General and then tap Reset.
- Next, tap Reset Network Settings.
- Enter your passcode.
- Finally, tap Reset Network Settings to confirm.
Your iPhone will restart after the reset. Once it’s back on, enter your Wi-Fi and VPN credentials and ensure cellular data is on. Then, check if Visual Voicemail is working.
4. Check for Pending Carrier Updates.
Like Apple, your carrier releases regular over-the-air updates. That’s how they ensure your phone’s excellent connectivity and functioning of calls, texts, and voicemails.
So if you’re looking for another way to fix the “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” error, try checking for pending carrier updates. It’s worth a try.
Here’s how to check for pending carrier updates:
- First, open Settings.
- Select General.
- Tab About.
- Look for Carrier in the About section. Then, tap on it.
- If there’s an available update, you will see a pop-up screen.
- Tap Update and follow on-screen instructions.
Does the problem persist? We have a few more workarounds to help you.
5. Check for iOS Updates.
Apple releases software updates regularly to ensure a great user experience. But sometimes, it can backfire. Users encounter different glitches when using an out-of-date device. So if you think this is the problem, check for iOS updates.
Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings.
- Select General.
- Then, tap Software Update.
- If there’s an update, a pop-up screen will appear. Tap Download and Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the update.
After the update, go to Visual Voicemail and see if it’s functioning.
6. Change Voicemail Password.
Some users have reported that changing their voicemail password has fixed the issue. It makes sense, after all. Changing your password refreshes your iPhone’s connection to the Visual Voicemail feature. That can make your Visual Voicemail work again.
Here’s how to pull off this trick:
- First, open Settings.
- Select Phone.
- Scroll down to select Change Voicemail Password.
- Enter a new password. Tap Done.
- You’ll be asked to enter the new password again. Then, press Done to confirm the action.
Now, open the Phone app and check if you can see your voicemails again.
7. Restart Your iPhone.
When all else fails, restart your iPhone. When you restart a device, some garbage or corrupted memory is deleted. Software glitches are automatically fixed, too. Even if this fix sounds so simple, it can be the solution you’re looking for, so try it.
Here’s how to restart your iPhone:
- First, press and hold the power button of your iPhone.
- The Slide to power off button will show up. Drag this to the right.
- Wait for a couple of seconds.
- Lastly, press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo shows up on the screen.
8. Contact Carrier Support.
None of the above solutions worked for you? Or one solution worked, but then you encountered the Visual Voicemail error again? It’s time to contact your carrier support.
Visual Voicemail is a carrier feature. There could be a network problem that your carrier can only fix. So don’t hesitate to contact them. They will guide you accordingly.
That wraps up the article. We hope one or two of our solutions have helped you fix the “Visual Voicemail is Currently Unavailable” error. If you have other voicemail or iPhone-related issues, feel free to leave a comment below. Our team will do our best to help troubleshoot them.