Can’t figure out why you experience freezing issues on Cyberpunk 2077?
Cyberpunk 2077 faced many issues when it first came out since many users struggled to run it on their PCs. The primary workaround back then was to lower the graphics settings to reduce the load.
Unfortunately, this made the game look bad. Given that Cyberpunk 2077 supports ray tracing, players want to run the game at max settings.
With updates coming in, Cyberpunk 2077 eventually became stable, and mid to high-level gaming PCs are able to run the game without issues.
However, there are still occasional issues with the game.
If you are reading this, we can safely assume that you experience freezing issues on Cyberpunk 2077.
Most of the time, this problem is caused by incompatible hardware or incorrect graphics settings. On the other hand, it can also be due to outdated device drivers, corrupted game data, or third-party applications.
In this guide, we will show you how to fix freezing issues on Cyberpunk 2077.
Let’s get right into it!
1. Restart Your Computer.
Before changing anything on your system, we suggest restarting your computer if you encounter freezing issues on Cyberpunk 2077. This should clear your system cache and resolve temporary errors.
Here’s what you need to do:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key to open the Start Menu.
- After that, access the Power Options tab.
- Finally, choose Restart to reboot your system.
Go back to the game afterward and check if the problem is solved.
2. Lower Your Graphics Settings.
As we have mentioned, Cyberpunk demands a lot of resources due to the advanced graphics options it features. If you are not using top-tier hardware, it is likely that your system cannot handle the current settings you have.
To address this, we recommend lowering your graphics settings to reduce the load on your system.
Start with the lowest settings available and work your way up until you find the balance between graphics and performance.
3. Close Unused Applications.
Another way to improve system performance is to limit the applications running on your computer. Given that Cyberpunk 2077 demands a lot of resources, you’ll need every bit of your resources available for the game.
To do this, identify the applications you currently don’t need and close them. You can head to the Task Manager to manage your background applications.
4. Update Your Display Drivers.
With a game like Cyberpunk 2077, it is important that your graphics card works properly to avoid issues. Just to be sure, we recommend updating your graphics drivers to the latest version to patch possible bugs and errors.
See the steps below to update your drivers:
- First, open the Device Manager on your computer.
- After that, expand the Display Adapters tab.
- Lastly, right-click on your graphics card and choose Update Driver.
Restart your computer afterward to apply the changes. Go back to the game and check if you still encounter freezing issues.
5. Verify Your Game Files.
There might be missing or broken game files on your storage, which affects the performance of Cyberpunk 2077. To rule this out, use Steam’s built-in scan tool to check your game files for issues.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, launch Steam on your computer.
- Access your account and go to the Library tab.
- Right-click on Cyberpunk 2077 and choose Properties.
- Go to the Local Files tab.
- Lastly, click on Verify Integrity of Game Files and follow the prompts.
Go back to Cyberpunk 2077 to check if the problem is solved.
6. Update Windows.
It’s also possible that there is an issue with the version of Windows you are using, which causes games to malfunction. If this is the case, you can try updating your operating system to the latest version to patch errors.
Follow the steps below to update Windows:
- On your computer, access Windows Settings by pressing the Windows + I keys.
- After that, go to Update & Security and click on Windows Update.
- Finally, click Check for Updates and follow the prompts.
Relaunch the game on your computer and check if the problem is solved.
7. Reinstall Cyberpunk 2077.
If none of the solutions above worked, the last thing we can recommend is reinstalling the game. This should ensure that you have the latest version of the game and there are no missing resources.
See the guide below to reinstall Cyberpunk:
- Launch Steam on your computer.
- Go to the Library and right-click on Cyberpunk 2077.
- Finally, click Uninstall and follow the prompts.
Go to the Steam Store afterward to reinstall the game.
That brings us to the end of our guide for fixing freezing issues on Cyberpunk 2077. If you have questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll be glad to help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂