Want to get rid of Search Marquis on Mac?
When using computers and other devices, you want to ensure the privacy of your data. While most cybercriminal gangs aim to hack your computer or spread a malicious virus, others will hijack your system and redirect you to their landing page for promotional purposes.
In Macs, this virus is known as Search Marquis. It redirects you to its official landing page, which features a Search bar. When you use it to search for anything, your final destination will be the Bing search results page. However, you will be visiting several intermediary domains that would be paying Search Marquis for this task.
Your Mac gets infected by Search Marquis either by unknowingly installing it or by downloading a program that comes with the virus attached. Hence, when you keep getting redirected to Search Marquis, you need to immediately eliminate it by following any of the methods explained below.
So let’s get started right away!
1. Use CleanMyMac X.
Although CleanMyMac X is a non-Apple software, it has been certified by the company and therefore is pretty safe to use. The program optimizes your Mac by scanning to enhance performance, delete unwanted files and folders, discard unnecessary logs and settings, etc., in just a few clicks.
Here’s how to use the CleanMyMac X virus scanner to get rid of malicious attacks on your Mac:
- Download CleanMyMac X on your computer.
- Open it once the program is downloaded.
- From the left pane, click on Malware Removal under the Protection section.
- Now click on Scan from the bottom of your screen to start the scanning process.
- The scan will take some time to complete. After that, select Remove to delete the malware detected, including Search Marquis.
We recommend that you restart your Mac after removing malicious files to give it a fresh start.
2. Get Rid of Suspicious Applications.
Most users have reported that their Mac got attacked by the Search Marquis after installing a third-party application. This determines that the virus was downloaded to your computer alongside the program. For that reason, deleting it will also indirectly get rid of Search Marquis on Mac.
Follow these steps to remove any suspicious or malicious apps that you may have downloaded from untrusted sources:
- From the Mac desktop, click anywhere to open Finder.
- Now, click on Go from the top bar and select Utilities from the drop-down options. You may also access Utilities by pressing Shift + Command + U keys from your keyboard.
- Locate and click on Activity Motor.
- Now, look for any Search Marquis-related processes and select them.
- To delete it, simply click on the Stop icon from the top bar.
- Afterward, head back to Finder, select Go from the menu bar, and click on Applications. Alternatively, you may press the Shift + Command + A keys on your keyboard to launch it.
- Look for any apps you don’t remember downloading and select them.
- Lastly, move them to Trash or right-click on it and choose Move to Trash.
3. Delete Unnecessary Login Items.
If you’ve been unsuccessful in removing Search Marquis yet, the virus may be hidden in the background processes of your Mac. This includes the login items that load up with your Mac. Fortunately, you can edit the list of login items.
Here’s how to do it:
- Head to the Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- After that, go to User & Groups.
- Click on the Login Items tab from the top.
- Scan for any app you don’t think should be there and select the box next to it in the Hide column.
- Finally, click on the – button from the bottom.
4. Delete Malware-Related Leftovers.
When you delete the Search Marquis app, you may think your Mac is completely free of malware, but that’s not the case. The redirecting virus leaves behind its traces, or what most people call leftovers, even after being removed from the system. So if you want to get rid of Search Marquis on Mac forever, run this scan.
- Press Shift + Command + G keys to open Go to Folder. You may also head to Finder, click on Go from the top bar, and select Go to Folder.
- Once the Go to Folder window opens, copy and paste these folders’ names in the box and click on Go after each folder.
- Search each folder for items having Search Marquis included in their name. If you happen to find one, simply drag them to Trash.
- Afterward, empty the Trash folder.
5. Remove Search Marquis Extensions From All Browsers.
When Search Marquis attacks your Mac, it may also make changes to your browser settings and functions. Therefore, you need to make sure that you delete any extensions it may have installed from all the existing browsers on your system.
Here’s what you should do to remove Search Marquis in Safari:
- Launch the Safari app on your Mac and click on Preferences from the menu bar.
- Now, head to Extensions from the taskbar present at the top.
- Identify any extension that may be related to Search Marquis. Once you do so, click on it and select Uninstall.
If you’re using Google Chrome, follow the steps below to get rid of any Search Marquis extension:
- Open the Chrome app on your Mac.
- Next, select the three dots from the top-right corner of your screen.
- Select More tools and then click on Extensions.
- Look through for any malicious or unnecessary extensions.
- After identifying, click on Remove.
Here’s how to remove Search Marquis on Mozilla Firefox:
- Open Firefox on your Mac and select the three vertical bars located at the top-right corner.
- After that, select Add-ons and themes and click on Extensions.
- Now, select the three dots next to the Extension you wish to delete and click on Remove.
6. Reset Browser Search and Homepage Settings on All Browsers.
When removing the extensions still doesn’t solve the problem, it’s recommended to revert your browser to default settings. This may or may not delete your browsing history, bookmarks, passwords, and so on. But at least you’ll get rid of Search Marquis on Mac.
Here’s how to do it on Safari:
- From Safari, choose History from the top bar and click on Clear History.
- Next, select Clear History from the pop-up window that appears.
- Now, go to Preferences from the menu bar and select the Search tab.
- Afterward, pick the desired search engine.
If you wish to switch to default settings from Chrome, follow these steps:
- Head over to Chrome and click on History located on the menu bar.
- Select Show Full History and then choose Clear Browsing Data.
- Now, go to Preferences and choose a default search engine.
For restoring browsing history and homepage settings on Firefox, perform these steps:
- First, open Firefox on your Mac and select History from the top bar.
- Then, select Clear Recent History.
- Afterward, change the default search engine by selecting Preferences from the menu bar and clicking on Search.
- Finally, select a preferred search engine.
This ends our guide on how to get rid of Search Marquis on Mac. By following the methods mentioned in this guide, you can easily remove Search Marquis on your device. If you have further confusion or query, don’t hesitate to utilize the comments section below. We’ll try our best to provide further assistance.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊