Are you trying to figure out how to fix the HBO Max error code 321?
HBO Max allows you to stream your popular shows on-demand from the most prominent TV network, HBO. HBO Max’s media library consists of originally produced shows from HBO and the channel’s current rotating lineup of movies.
When it comes to content quality, HBO Max can go hand to hand with Netflix. However, in terms of stability and optimization, their app and website are not quite there.
If you are here, you are probably among the HBO Max subscribers who experience unexpected problems and error messages on the platform.
One of the most common issues on HBO Max is the error code 321. This problem usually occurs due to service outages, unstable networks, corrupted installation files, or an outdated app version.
Whichever the case is, we’re here to help.
In this guide, we will show you the best ways for fixing the HBO Max error code 321.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check HBO Max Servers.
Since HBO Max is an online service, the first thing that you should check if you encounter error messages is its servers. You can do this by going to Downdetector, a third-party website that shows the current status of HBO Max and other applications.
If HBO Max’s servers are down, the only option you have is to wait for its team to address the problem.
On the other hand, proceed to the next solution below if HBO Max’s servers are working fine.
2. Check If Your Provider Supports HBO Max.
While HBO Max is fully launched in the US, not all providers currently support the platform. If you experience difficulties accessing HBO Max, check if your service provider already supports the platform.
Here’s the current list of providers that support HBO Max:
- Google Play
- Verizon Fios
- YouTube TV
3. Try Watching Another Show.
Some titles on HBO Max could become unavailable due to unexpected problems that occur on the platform. If you encounter the HBO Max error code 321 while playing a movie or TV show, the title you initially played may have an issue.
To confirm this, go to the media library and play a few shows to see if the same error code would occur. If other shows on HBO Max are working fine, it means that the problem is isolated to certain movies and TV shows.
Proceed to the last method below to report the problem to HBO Max’s team.
4. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks or VPNs could also be the reason for the HBO Max error code 321. VPNs change your IP address and redirect your data to one of their servers to keep your connection safe and private.
Unfortunately, this process could cause delays and interruptions to your network, making it difficult for online applications to function.
If you are using any VPN, please turn it off before accessing HBO Max.
On the other hand, you can also try switching to a reputable VPN provider such as PureVPN. Unlike other services, PureVPN works well with most applications and does not interfere with your network connection.
You can also check our detailed guide for accessing HBO Max outside the US if you are currently residing outside the US.
5. Check If Your Device Is Supported.
Another reason why you encounter error codes on HBO Max is if you are using an incompatible device. While HBO Max is available across multiple platforms, some models were left unsupported either because they are too old or their hardware can’t handle HBO Max’s load.
To check if your streaming device is compatible with HBO Max, visit their Help Center and refer to their list of supported devices.
Consider getting a new device if your current one is unsupported or use a web browser to access the platform.
6. Re-Login to HBO Max.
Your user data may have gotten corrupted when the servers went down, which causes the error code 321. If this is the case, we suggest that you stop your current session and log back in after a few minutes to reset your data.
For mobile devices, follow the steps below to sign out of your HBO Max account:
- First, open HBO Max on your Android or iOS device.
- After that, access your Profile and tap on Settings.
- Lastly, go to the bottom of the page and tap on Sign Out.
If you are using a web browser, check out the guide below to log out of your account:
- Access HBO Max using any browser you prefer.
- Now, click on your Profile.
- Finally, press the Sign Out button inside the side drawer to close your session.
Once done, allow 2 to 3 minutes to pass before logging back into your HBO Max account.
Go back to the media library afterwards and check if the HBO Max error code 321 would still occur.
7. Check and Reset Your Internet.
A slow internet connection could also be the reason for the HBO Max error code 321. The platform requires a minimum internet speed of 5 Mbps to enjoy HD shows without encountering any problems.
To confirm this, run a test using Fast.com to measure your network’s current upload and download speed.
If the result shows that your connection is slow or unstable, restart your network router to re-establish the link with your internet service provider’s servers.
After restarting your router, re-run the test on your network to check if the problem is solved. Contact your ISP if your connection continues to run slow and ask them to address the issue with their service.
On the other hand, consider upgrading your current plan if it is below HBO Max’s minimum bandwidth requirement.
8. Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies.
Web browsers store temporary data on your device, which are called caches and cookies. Your browser uses these data to load websites faster and improve your overall user experience.
Unfortunately, caches and cookies accumulate over time and could slow down your system. If you experience random errors on the websites you visit, try clearing your browsing data to free up some memory.
See the steps below to guide you on the process:
- First, open your default search browser and click on More Options.
- After that, select Settings and go to Privacy and Security.
- Next, change the Time Range to All Time and include caches and cookies in the process.
- Lastly, press the Clear Data button to start deleting your browsing history and data.
Go back to HBO Max afterwards and check if the error code 321 would still occur while using the platform.
9. Disable Your Browser Extensions.
There could be some extensions installed on your browser which are not compatible with HBO Max. To rule this out, try disabling all your browser extensions and check if the problem goes away.
Follow the steps below to turn off your browsing extensions:
- On your browser, click on More Options and select Settings.
- After that, access the Extensions tab from the side menu.
- Finally, disable all of your extensions and restart your browser.
Access HBO Max’s website once again to check if the problem is solved.
10. Run Malwarebytes.
Malware consumes your system’s resources, including your network bandwidth, making it difficult for applications to function normally. If you also experience problems with other applications, it may indicate that your system is infected by malware or other viruses.
To fix this, download Malwarebytes on your device and run a ‘Full System’ scan. This will allow Malwarebytes to search your entire storage for infected files and remove them automatically from your system.
11. Clear HBO Max’s App Data (Android).
If you are using an Android device, we suggest clearing HBO Max’s app data if the application is not working correctly. Doing this allows your device to clear any corrupted data from its system and eliminate errors in the process.
Check out the steps below to clear HBO Max’s app data:
- On your device, access the Settings and open the Apps tab.
- Now, tap on HBO Max from the list and go to the Storage tab.
- Finally, press the Clear Data button to start.
After clearing HBO Max’s app data, go back to your account and check if the HBO Max error code 321 still occurs.
12. Update HBO Max.
Like any application, HBO Max needs frequent updates to ensure that its services and features are optimized. Application updates also include patches that fix bugs and other glitches that occur in between updates.
On Android, you can update HBO Max by doing the following:
- First, open the Google Play Store on your device.
- After that, go to your Profile and select My Apps & Games.
- Now, find the HBO Max app from the list.
- Lastly, tap the Update button next to HBO Max to install the update.
For iOS users, see the step-by-step guide below to update HBO Max:
- On your device, go to the App Store and tap on your Profile.
- Now, scroll down until you see the HBO Max app.
- Finally, press the Update button to download the latest version of HBO Max.
If you are using smart TVs, consoles, or set-top boxes, please visit the Help Center to know how you can update HBO Max.
After updating the app, go back to your HBO Max account and check if the problem is solved.
13. Update Your Device.
Your device may have an underlying issue, which causes applications like HBO Max to run into errors. If you experience problems on other applications as well, try updating your device to address the error code.
For Android devices, you can update its operating system by doing the following:
- On your device, access the Settings and tap on About or About Phone.
- Next, tap on Software Updates.
- Finally, press the Download and Install button if there’s an available update for your device.
If you are using an iOS device, check out the steps below to update your system:
- First, open the Settings app from your home screen.
- After that, tap on General and go to Software Updates.
- Lastly, tap on Download and Install if your device detected a newer version of iOS.
Visit the Help Center if you are using other devices to guide you on how you can update your software version.
After updating HBO Max, try using the app for a few minutes to check if the error code 321 would still occur on your device.
14. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not work, your last resort would be to reinstall HBO Max on your device. Unfortunately, the app may not be installed correctly on your device, or some of its files got severely corrupted and are no longer fixable.
On Android devices, here’s how you can reinstall HBO Max:
- On your app drawer, locate the HBO Max app.
- Now, press and hold its app icon until the options menu appears.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete the app.
- Finally, go to the Google Play Store on your device and reinstall HBO Max.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to reinstall the HBO Max app:
- Locate HBO Max from your home screen.
- After that, press its app icon to access the selection menu.
- Next, tap on Remove App.
- Lastly, open the App Store on your device and reinstall HBO Max from there.
If you are using other devices, visit the Help Center to find out how to reinstall the app.
Once done, re-login to your HBO Max account and check if the error code 321 still occurs.
15. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
If none of the solutions above worked out for you, we suggest that you ask the help of the experts.
Contact HBO Max’s team by visiting the Help Center to report the problem you’ve been experiencing. Ensure to include a screenshot of the error, your account details, and the device you use on your report to speed up the process.
This wraps up our guide for fixing the HBO Max error code 321. If you have other questions, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂