Can’t figure out why HBO Max is not working?
When you avail a subscription from HBO Max or similar platforms, what you’re getting is the convenience of having access to thousands of award-winning shows in a single app. Think of it as a video rental store back in the days, but you don’t have to return it, and you can watch it on the go.
Unfortunately, all the fun could come to an end if the platform suddenly stops working on your device.
This has been the case for some HBO Max users struggling to enjoy the services they paid for since the app or website is not working.
Based on what we know, server-related problems are the most common cause for HBO Max not working. However, this issue could also be due to corrupted files, slow network connections, or outdated software.
If you are among these users, we’ve got you covered. 😀
Today, we will show how to fix HBO Max if it’s not working on your device.
Let’s get started!
1. Check the Servers.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, problematic servers are the most common reason for this issue on HBO Max. If you can’t access the platform, visit Downdetector to check if there are reported outages for the app or website.
If HBO Max’s servers are offline, the only thing you can do now is wait for their team to address the problem. On the other hand, proceed to the following method below if there are no reported outages for HBO Max.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
To ensure that their platform is working correctly, HBO’s team performs system maintenance, which could cause HBO Max shows to become unavailable for a certain period. If you can’t play your favorite shows on HBO Max, try selecting a random title in the media library.
If other shows on HBO Max are working fine, it means that you initially played a broken or unavailable movie or TV show.
To fix this, go to the last method below to report the issue or ask HBO’s team for an update.
3. Re-Login to Your Account.
Your user data may have gotten corrupted due to bugs and glitches that occur on HBO Max. If this happens, you may experience unexpected issues on the platform unless you reset your account data.
To do this, you simply need to log out your account and wait for a few minutes before signing back in.
On mobile devices, you can sign out of your account by doing the following steps:
- First, go to the HBO Max app on your device.
- After that, tap on your Profile and access the Settings tab.
- Lastly, tap the Sign Out button to terminate your session.
If you are using web browsers, refer to the guide below to log out your HBO Max account:
- Access the HBO Max website using any web browser.
- Next, click on your Profile icon to open the side menu.
- Finally, press the Sign Out button.
After 2 to 3 minutes, log back into your HBO Max account to check if the platform is now working.
4. Check and Reset Your Network.
A slow network connection could also be the reason HBO Max is not working. The platform recommends a minimum internet speed of 5 Mbps to enjoy its services without issues.
To check if your network meets this requirement, perform a speed test using Fast.com to measure your current upload and download bandwidth.
If you’ve confirmed that your connection causes the problem, reboot your network router to re-establish the link with your ISP.
Run another test after restarting your router to check if the problem is solved. If your network continues to run slow, contact your service provider and ask them to fix the quality of their service.
On the other hand, we recommend upgrading your plan to at least 8 Mbps to avoid further problems in the future.
5. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are third-party services that protect your online data and allow you to bypass restrictions set by your internet service provider. They work by assigning a random IP to your device to report a different location and filter your data to hide sensitive information.
However, not all VPNs work the same, and some could even cause delays and lags to your connection.
If you are using VPNs, we recommend turning them off before accessing HBO Max.
On the other hand, you can also try other VPNs like PureVPN if you’re not comfortable going online without protection. Unlike other services, PureVPN keeps your network stable, and it works well with other applications.
You can also visit our dedicated guide for accessing HBO Max outside the US if you currently reside outside the region.
6. Clear Your Browser Cache and Cookies.
Search browsers store temporary data on your device, which are called caches and cookies. This data helps improve your browser’s performance when loading up websites or playing videos.
Unfortunately, caches and cookies could accumulate over time and slow down your system. If HBO Max is not working on your browser, clear your browsing data to free up some space.
Here’s how you can clear HBO Max’s data:
- While your browser is open, press the CTRL + H keys on your keyboard to access the History tab.
- Now, click on Clear Browsing Data from the side drawer, which should take you to another tab.
- After that, click on the Time Range tab and select All Time from the list.
- Finally, click all the checkboxes under the Time Range tab, then press the Clear Data button.
After clearing your browsing data, go back to HBO Max and check if the website is now working.
7. Disable Browser Extensions.
Some websites, such as HBO Max, may not be compatible with the extensions installed on your search browser. While extensions and add ons work great for providing additional functionality to websites, they could often interfere with how websites work.
If HBO Max is not working on your browser, disable your extensions and see if the problem goes away.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open your preferred browser and access its Settings.
- After that, go to the Extensions tab.
- Finally, disable all your browser extensions.
Go back to HBO Max afterwards to check if the website is now working.
8. Clear HBO Max App Data (Android).
If you are using an Android device, try clearing HBO Max’s app data if the platform is not working correctly. Some of its temporary files may have gotten corrupted when the servers went down or during a failed update.
To clear HBO Max’s app data, follow the steps below:
- First, open the Settings app on your device.
- Now, go to Apps and tap on HBO Max.
- Lastly, access the Storage tab and press the Clear Data button.
Once done, check if the HBO Max app on your device is now working.
9. Update the HBO Max App.
Another thing that you can do if HBO Max is not working on your device is to update the app. This should patch any bugs present with the current version of the app installed on your device.
For Android users, here’s how you can update HBO Max:
- First, go to the Google Play Store on your device and access your Profile.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games and look for the HBO Max app from the list.
- If there’s an available update, press the Update button to install it.
On iOS devices, follow the guide below to update HBO Max:
- On your device, go to the App Store and open your Profile.
- Now, search for the HBO Max app from the list of applications with an available update.
- Finally, press the Update button to download the latest version of HBO Max.
If you are using other devices, please go to the Help Center to find out how to update HBO Max.
Go back to the app afterwards to check if HBO Max is now working.
10. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not work, try reinstalling the app. HBO Max’s installation files may have gotten severely corrupted and are no longer fixable. Reinstalling the app would also ensure that it is installed correctly on your device.
For Android users, check out the step-by-step guide below to reinstall HBO Max:
- On your app drawer, find the HBO Max app and hold down its app icon.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete HBO Max.
- Finally, go to the Google Play Store and reinstall the app from there.
On iOS, you can reinstall HBO Max by doing the following:
- First, locate the HBO Max app on your home screen.
- Next, press the Remove App button to uninstall HBO Max.
- Lastly, access the App Store to reinstall the app on your device.
If you are using Smart TVs, Consoles or similar devices, visit the Help Center to know how to reinstall HBO Max on your system.
Log back into your HBO Max account after reinstalling the app and check if the problem is solved.
11. Refer to Our Other Guides.
Here are our other guides in case you are experiencing a more specific problem with HBO Max:
- “Cannot Play Title” Error on HBO Max? Here’s The Fix!
- “Content Not Available” on HBO Max? Here’s The Fix!
- HBO Max Streaming Quality Issues? Here’s the Fix!
- HBO Max Video Skipping? Here’s the Fix!
- Cannot Stream HBO Max? Here’s the Fix!
- HBO Max Not Playing Any Movies? Here’s the Fix!
- HBO Max Black or Blank Screen? Here’s the Fix!
- Cannot Watch Anything on HBO Max? Here’s the Fix!
12. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
If HBO Max is still not working on your end, you may be dealing with a much serious problem.
In this case, we suggest that you visit the Help Center and contact HBO Max’s team to report the issue. Make sure to include your account details, the device you are using, and a screenshot of the error message if possible to speed up the process.
This ends our guide for fixing HBO Max if it’s not working on your device. For your questions and other concerns, please let us know in the comment section, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂