Wondering why HBO Max plays sound but no video?
Since its release in 2020, HBO Max already gained over 44 million subscribers, thanks to its outstanding library. HBO Max offers all of its shows on the platform, including Game of Thrones, Chernobyl, Band of Brothers and more.
However, many subscribers are starting to get frustrated about the platform due to unexpected errors that occur on HBO Max’s website and application. Although HBO Max’s team are doing their best, they can slowly lose their subscribers if they cannot resolve the issues in the coming months.
If you are here, you are probably experiencing difficulties watching your favorite shows on HBO Max since the platform only plays sound but no video.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide for fixing HBO Max if it only plays sound but no video on your device.
Let’s dive right in!
1. Check HBO Max Servers.
Before making any changes to your device’s settings, the first thing that you should do is check the status of HBO Max’s servers. You can do this by visiting third-party sites like Downdetector, where you can view the current status of HBO Max and the past issues it encountered.
If you have confirmed that HBO Max’s servers are down, the best thing to do now is to wait for their team to address the problem. Since server-related issues can’t be fixed on your end, any changes to your device or network won’t affect the status of HBO Max.
On the other hand, proceed to the next method below if HBO Max’s servers are working fine.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
You can also try watching other shows on HBO Max if it only plays sound but no video on your device. This way, you can check if the problem is with the specific show you initially played or the entire platform.
If other shows on HBO Max are working, proceed to the final method below to report the specific movie or TV show you are having issues playing.
3. Check If Your Device Is Supported.
Your current streaming device may not be supported by HBO Max, which causes movies and TV shows to play without video on your device. To confirm this, go to the Help Center to check if the platform supports your device.
If not, consider upgrading to a supported device or try accessing HBO Max using a web browser. You can also check if you have other devices supported by HBO Max and access your account from there.
4. Re-Login to Your Account.
Temporary bugs and glitches can occur on HBO Max, which could cause your user data to corrupt. If this happens, the app or website may not function as it should unless you close your session to refresh your data.
On Android and iOS, follow the steps below to sign out of your HBO Max account:
- First, open the HBO Max app on your mobile device.
- After that, tap on your Profile and access the Settings.
- Lastly, tap the Sign Out button at the bottom of the page.
If you are using a web browser, follow the guide below to log out your HBO Max account:
- On your browser, access the HBO Max website.
- Now, click on your Profile to open the side menu.
- Finally, click on Sign Out to close your session.
Once done, wait for a few minutes before logging back into your HBO Max account.
Try playing another movie or TV show on your device to check if the problem is solved.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
HBO Max requires a minimum internet bandwidth of 5 Mbps to enjoy HD movies and TV shows on its platform. If your network doesn’t reach this speed, the app or website may not function as it should on your device.
To check if your network connection is the problem, perform a speed test using Fast.com to measure your current upload and download bandwidth.
If the result indicates that your network connection is unstable or slow, restart your network router to refresh the connection with your internet service provider’s servers. Unplug your router’s cable from the wall outlet and wait for at least 5 seconds before plugging it back in.
Run another test on your network to check if the problem is solved. If you continue to experience issues with your connection, contact your ISP to report the problem with their service.
You can also consider upgrading your current plan if it is below the required bandwidth of HBO Max.
6. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks or VPNs are third-party applications that protect your network and data from hackers and other entities. With VPNs, you can also bypass restrictions set by your ISP to access websites and applications that are not available in your region.
However, some VPNs don’t work that well with other apps and could cause instability with your network connection.
If HBO Max only plays sound but no video on your device, turn off your VPN first before accessing the platform.
On the other hand, consider switching to a different service like PureVPN if you continue to experience issues with your current VPN. Compared to other VPNs, PureVPN keeps your connection stable while protecting your online data.
You can also check our guide on accessing HBO Max outside the US if you live outside the region.
7. Clear Browser Cache and Cookies.
Browsers store temporary data on your device called caches and cookies, which helps load websites faster. However, caches and cookies can accumulate over time and become corrupted.
If you can’t watch movies or TV shows on HBO Max, try clearing your browsing data to fix the issue.
Follow the steps below to clear your browser cache and cookies:
- First, open your preferred browser and click on More Options.
- After that, click on Settings and go to Privacy and Security.
- Now, click on Clear Browsing Data.
- Change the Time Range to All Time and include caches and cookies in the process.
- Lastly, click the Clear Data button to start clearing your browsing data.
Once done, go back to HBO Max and check if videos will now load on your device.
8. Run Malwarebytes.
Your device may have been infected by malware or viruses that caused HBO Max and other apps not to work. To confirm this, download Malwarebytes on your device and use the ‘Full System Scan’ tool.
This will prompt Malwarebytes to scan your entire storage for infected files and automatically remove them for you without lifting a single finger.
9. Clear HBO Max App Data (Android).
If you use an Android device, try clearing HBO Max’s app data if you cannot watch movies and TV shows on the platform. Some of HBO Max’s data may have gotten corrupted when its servers encountered an error.
Follow the steps below to clear HBO Max’s app data:
- First, open Settings on your device and go to the Apps tab.
- Next, tap on HBO Max and access its Storage tab.
- Tap the Clear Data button afterwards to clear HBO Max’s app data.
Re-login to your HBO Max account and check if the problem is solved.
10. Update HBO Max.
If you still can’t stream videos on HBO Max, try updating the app to fix the issue. The current version of the app installed on your device may have an underlying problem related to video playback.
On Android, you can update HBO Max by doing the following steps:
- First, open Google Play Store on your device and tap on your Profile icon.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games and find the HBO Max app from the list.
- Lastly, tap the Update button next to HBO Max to install the latest version of the app.
For iOS users, see the steps below to update HBO Max:
- On your device, tap on the App Store to launch it.
- Now, go to your Profile and find HBO Max.
- Finally, tap the Update button to install the latest version of HBO Max.
If you are using other devices, visit the Help Center to find out how you can update the app.
After updating HBO Max, go back to your account and check if the problem is solved.
11. Reinstall HBO Max.
If the update did not work, it is possible that HBO Max’s installation files got severely corrupted and are no longer fixable. In this case, we suggest that you just reinstall the app on your device to ensure that you have a working copy.
For Android users, follow the guide below to reinstall HBO Max:
- On your device, go to the app drawer and find the HBO Max app.
- Press and hold its app icon to access the selection menu.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete HBO Max.
- Finally, go to the Google Play Store to reinstall the app from there.
On iOS, check out the steps below to reinstall HBO Max:
- First, locate the HBO Max app from your home screen.
- Now, tap and hold its app icon to open the options menu.
- After that, select Remove App to delete HBO Max.
- Lastly, access the App Store and download the latest version of HBO Max.
If you are using Smart TVs, Set-top boxes, and similar devices, please visit the Help Center to find out how you can reinstall HBO Max.
Go back to your HBO Max account after reinstalling the app to check if videos will now load on your device.
12. Report the Problem to HBO Max.
At this point, you’ve pretty much-done everything you can to address the issue on your end. However, if HBO Max still plays sound but no video on your device, we suggest that you ask the help of the experts.
Visit the Help Center and contact HBO Max’s customer support to report the problem. Provide all the important details on your report including your account information, the device you are using, and the movies and TV shows you are trying to play.
This sums up our guide for fixing HBO Max if it only plays sound but no video. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂