Can’t enjoy your game due to high ping on Genshin Impact?
One of the worst enemies for us gamers is network connection issues. Whether you are playing an FPS, RPG, or MMO title, it is really annoying to encounter lags and delays, especially in the middle of a clash or an action pack sequence in the game.
With its release in September 2020, Genshin Impact has received a lot of attention, which resembles the gameplay of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild or even the Final Fantasy franchise in some way.
If you are experiencing high ping on Genshin Impact, you are not alone. As it turns out, several gamers are also having issues with their network while playing the game.
As a fellow gamer, I understand your frustration, but you can relax now.
Today, we will show you a few tips and tricks on how to fix high ping on Genshin Impact.
Before doing anything, check the status of Genshin Impact’s servers first, as the problem could be on their end.
Now, let’s get started!
- 1. Restart the Game.
- 2. Update the Game.
- 3. Turn Off VPN.
- 4. Use the Right Server for Your Region.
- 5. Stop Other Applications.
- 6. Check and Reset Your Internet.
- 7. Change Your DNS Server.
- 8. Try Using PureVPN.
- 9. Reach Out to Genshin Community.
1. Restart the Game.
In most cases, high ping on Genshin Impact is caused by a temporary glitch within the game, and it is having a hard time communicating with its servers. To fix this, simply restart the game to allow it to reload its game files.
On Windows, you can restart Genshin Impact by doing the following:
- First, press the ALT + TAB keys on your keyboard to switch your window to the desktop.
- After that, press both the CTRL + X keys and select Task Manager from the Quick Access Menu.
- Inside the Task Manager, click on the Processes tab.
- Finally, locate Genshin Impact from the list of applications and hit the End Task button.
For Android devices, check out the guide below.
- On your device, swipe the screen upwards from the bottom to open the app switcher.
- Now, locate Genshin Impact from the list.
- Lastly, flick the game upwards until it is removed from the app switcher.
If you use an iOS device with an all-screen display, you can restart the game by swiping upwards from the bottom of your screen to open the app switcher. Now, locate Genshin Impact and flick it upwards until it is removed from the list.
On the other hand, if you are using an iOS device with a Home button, you can open the app switcher by tapping the Home button twice. After that, find Genshin Impact from the list and flick it upwards until it is removed from the app switcher.
Finally, if you are playing on a Playstation 4, check out the step-by-step guide below to restart the game.
- First, hold the PS button on your controller.
- After that, a Quick Menu will appear on your screen.
- Lastly, select Close Application and follow the on-screen prompts to stop the game from running.
After closing the game on your device, open it once again and play a few minutes to see if the issue is already fixed.
2. Update the Game.
miHoYo releases frequent updates on their game to ensure that it is running without any problems. High pings on the game could also be caused by a glitch or bug that is already present on the version of Genshin Impact that you are running.
To fix this, try to update the game on your device to get rid of bugs and other errors.
For Windows, check out the guide below on how to update the game.
- First, close the game if you are running it at this time.
- Now, open the game launcher from your desktop.
- Finally, the launcher will automatically check for an update. If available, follow the on-screen prompts to download the update.
On Android devices, you can update Genshin Impact by doing the following:
- On your device, tap on the Google Play Store to launch it.
- After that, tap on the Menu button located at the search bar to open the side menu.
- Now, tap on My Apps & Games.
- Finally, tap on the Update button if an update is available for the game.
Now, if you are using an iOS device, you can update the game by doing the steps below.
- First, open the App Store from your home screen and tap on the Updates tab.
- After that, the App Store will automatically check for updates available on all the applications installed on your device.
- Lastly, if an update is available for the game, tap on the Update button to install it.
Finally, if you are using a Playstation 4, you can update the game by doing the following:
- First, go to your home screen and highlight Genshin Impact.
- After that, click on the Options button on your controller.
- Finally, select Check for Update and follow the on-screen prompts to install the latest version of the game.
After updating the game, try to play it again to see if you would still encounter high ping on Genshin Impact.
3. Turn Off VPN.
If you are using a VPN on your device to keep your network secured and private, try to turn it off when playing the game. VPNs redirect your traffic to a server away from your location, which can introduce latency on your network. This is the last thing that you want when playing an online game.
In addition, VPN services randomly change your default IP address with a dummy one, which makes it difficult for your device to establish a solid connection with Genshin’s servers.
Disable your VPN service and see if the high ping on Genshin Impact goes away.
4. Use the Right Server for Your Region.
On Android, iOS, and Windows, Genshin Impact gives you the option to select your own servers. However, choosing a game server away from your region can cause lags and high pings on the game.
If you are experiencing high pings on Genshin Impact, try to select the nearest server for your region to reduce latency on your network.
- First, open Genshin Impact on your device.
- On the main screen, you would see a Server button below the Start Game button.
- Finally, tap on the Server button and choose the nearest server for your region.
Once done, start the game and observe if you would still experience lags and delay while playing.
Unfortunately, for PS4 users, Genshin Impact automatically connects you to the region your PSN account is registered.
5. Stop Other Applications.
High ping on most games can also be due to other applications on your device using your internet bandwidth. If you experience lags on Genshin Impact, try to close unnecessary applications on your device.
- First, press the CTRL + X keys on your keyboard to open the Quick Access Menu.
- After that, click on Task Manager.
- Now, click on the Processes tab and click on Network.
- Finally, close the applications that use the most network bandwidth on your computer.
After closing other programs, open Genshin Impact again and see if the problem is already resolved.
6. Check and Reset Your Internet.
A slow network connection is the last thing that you want when playing online games. If you see that you have a high ping on Genshin Impact, it could indicate that your network is having problems.
To verify if your internet connection is really running slow, perform a simple speed test using Fast.com to measure its speed bandwidth.
Now, if your network is really the problem, try to restart your router to refresh its connection with your ISP. Locate your router’s power cable and unplug it from the wall outlet. Now, wait for 5 to 10 seconds before plugging it back to the outlet.
After restarting your router, run another speed test to verify if the problem is already fixed. On the other hand, if your network continues to run into problems, contact your ISP and have them fix their service.
7. Change Your DNS Server.
Domain Name System or simply DNS is often referred to as the backbone of the internet. It helps your device to convert website domains like saintlad.com to IP addresses. If you are experiencing issues with your network, it is possible that your ISP’s DNS server is currently down or under maintenance.
8. Try Using PureVPN.
If you prefer playing Genshin Impact on other region’s servers, try using PureVPN.
Unlike other VPNs, PureVPN keeps your network stable, even if it redirects your traffic to other servers. It has 6500+ high-speed servers across the globe, which means a smooth and fast gaming experience all the time!
Aside from gaming, you can also use PureVPN if you like streaming movies or shows across regions on applications like Netflix, Disney+, HBO, and Hulu.
Use PureVPN now and say goodbye to high pings and lags!
9. Reach Out to Genshin Community.
If none of the methods above worked out for you, try reaching out to your fellow gamers.
Visit Genshin Impact’s Community page and try asking the community about the issue you are having. Since there are tons of gamers around the world, there is a good chance that someone could’ve encountered your issue in the past and could help you out.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix high ping on Genshin Impact. If you know other ways to address this issue, please share them in the comment section. We’d be glad to give you credit for the solution once we update this article.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂