Is Hulu Chromecast not working?
Hulu is one of the best on-demand movie streaming platforms that have tons of titles from various filmmakers. It is available on most major operating systems and supports Chromecast to watch your favorite shows on the big screen.
While their service works well most of the time, occasional errors are inevitable on any platform, and Hulu is no exception.
If you search for this issue on Hulu Community, you will come across multiple users who are either having a hard time connecting or can’t stream shows using their Chromecast devices.
Based on what we know, Hulu not working on Chromecast is usually caused by a problem with your network or software related issues. Other factors such as server errors, corrupted files, and third-party applications could also be the reason for this problem.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on what to do if Hulu Chromecast is not working on your end.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check Hulu’s Servers.
Every time you encounter a problem on Hulu, the first thing you should always do is check the status of its servers. Unexpected issues can occur on the platform and cause Chromecast and other services not to work on your device.
To verify this, you can use third-party sites like Downdetector, where you can view the current status of Hulu and the issues it encountered for the past 24 hours.
If the servers are down, we suggest that you just wait for their team to fix the problem. On the other hand, proceed to the following method below if there’s nothing wrong with Hulu’s servers.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
Some titles on Hulu become unplayable due to unexpected circumstances. If this happens, you cannot watch the show no matter what platform you use, including Chromecast devices.
To check if the problem is with the whole platform or just specific shows, go back to your media library and play a random movie or TV show.
If you can play other titles fine on Hulu, this means that the show you initially picked is currently unavailable. Proceed to the last method below to report the issue to Hulu’s team.
3. Setup Issues? Check Your Chromecast’s Name.
If Hulu can’t detect your Chromecast device, its name may have a special character that prevents the app from seeing it. In this case, ensure that your Chromecast device doesn’t have any emojis, apostrophe, or anything similar in its name.
We recommend that you just give it a one-word name to make things less complicated.
Once done, go back to Hulu and check if the app recognizes your Chromecast device.
4. Re-Login to Your Account.
Random bugs and glitches that occur on Hulu can cause your account data to be corrupted. If this happens, you may encounter unexpected issues in your current session unless you refresh your account data.
To do this, follow the steps below to log out of your account:
- First, access the Hulu app from your mobile device.
- After that, tap on your Profile from the bottom navigation bar.
- Lastly, hit the Log Out button to stop your current session.
Once done, wait for 2 to 3 minutes before logging back into your Hulu account to refresh your data. Try casting another show on your Chromecast device to check if the problem is solved.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
Network connectivity issues could also be the reason why Hulu can’t connect with your Chromecast device. Since you are using an online service, a fast and reliable internet connection is vital to get the best experience possible.
Hulu also requires a minimum internet speed connection of 3 Mbps to enjoy their services without issues.
To check if your network reaches this speed, perform a speed test using Fast.com to measure your connection’s current upload and download bandwidth.
If the result confirms that the issue lies with your network, restart your router to refresh the link with your ISP’s servers. Unplug your router’s power chord from the wall outlet to turn it off and wait for 10 seconds before plugging it back in.
Once done, perform another test to check if the problem is solved. If not, contact your ISP and ask them to fix their service. You can also arrange for an upgrade if your current subscription is below the minimum speed.
6. Clear Chromecast Cache and Data.
If you are using an Android TV with a built-in Chromecast, you can try clearing its cache and data to fix the issue with Hulu.
To do this, follow the steps below:
- First, open your Android TV and press the Menu button on your controller to access the Quick Menu.
- After that, access the Apps tab and select Show System Apps.
- Now, locate Chromecast Built-In from the list and select it.
- Lastly, highlight Clear Cache and press the Ok button to confirm. Select Clear Data afterwards and press the Ok button again.
Once done, go back to your casting device and check if the problem is solved.
7. Use Chrome Browser to Watch Hulu.
If you really need to watch your favorite shows already, you can always stream using a Chrome browser. There are times when the Hulu app encounters a problem, and the casting service may have been affected.
Fire up your Chrome browser using any device and access your account. Once done, select a show you want and enjoy watching.
Try casting again to your Chromecast device from time to time so that you’ll know once the feature is back online.
8. Update the Hulu App.
Updates on any application play a vital role to keep the platform running smoothly on every device it supports. It also contains security patches that reduce the risk of your account getting hacked by other entities.
If Hulu Chromecast is not working, try to update the app on your device to address the problem.
On Android, you can update Hulu by doing the following steps:
- First, open Google Play Store on your device and tap on the Menu button to view the side menu.
- After that, tap on My Apps & Games to view the applications with available updates.
- Locate Hulu from the list and tap the Update button next to it to install the latest version.
For iOS users, check out the guide below to update Hulu:
- On your device, tap on the App Store from the home screen to launch it.
- Now, tap on your Profile icon on the top right corner of your screen.
- Finally, locate Hulu from the list and hit the Update button to install the latest version of Hulu.
If you are using other devices, refer to the guides below to update the app on your system:
- Fire TV and Fire Stick
- Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Generation
- Apple TV 4th Gen and Newer
- Nintendo Switch
- Playstation 4
- Xbox One
After updating Hulu, go back to the app and check if the Chromecast feature is now working.
9. Update Your Chromecast Device.
The issue could also lie with your Chromecast device. The current OS version you are using may have a problem that causes Hulu not to detect the device or is not compatible with Hulu’s version.
To fix this, simply update your Chromecast device to address the compatibility issue:
- First, plug in the Chromecast device to your TV and make sure that it’s connected to your network.
- Access the Google Home app on your casting device afterwards and tap on More Options.
- Lastly, click on Settings and select the Reboot option. Your Chromecast device will automatically update itself after the restart.
Go back to Hulu afterwards and try casting another show to check if the problem is solved.
10. Reinstall the Hulu App.
You can also try reinstalling the Hulu app on your casting device if updating the app or Chromecast did not work. Hulu may not be installed correctly on your device, or it encountered a severe error, and the update can no longer fix it.
On Android, check out the steps below to reinstall Hulu:
- First, access your application drawer and locate the Hulu app.
- After that, tap and hold its app icon until the selection screen shows up.
- Now, tap the Uninstall button to delete Hulu on your device.
- Lastly, go to the Google Play Store on your device and reinstall Hulu from there.
For iOS devices, follow the guide below to reinstall Hulu:
- On your home screen, locate the Hulu app and press its app icon.
- Next, tap on Remove App inside the options menu and follow the on-screen prompts to uninstall Hulu.
- Finally, launch the App Store on your device and reinstall Hulu.
If you are on a different system, please check the guides below to reinstall Hulu on your device:
Once you’ve reinstalled Hulu, re-access your account and try casting another show to your Chromecast device.
11. Report the Problem to Hulu.
If Hulu Chromecast is still not working on your device, we suggest that you contact Hulu’s team and report the problem you’ve been experiencing. When asking for help, provide all the necessary details and a screenshot of the error to help their team assess the situation faster.
You can also browse the queries on Hulu’s Community and see if you can find possible answers to your problem. You can also ask the community regarding the issue you’ve been experiencing if you can’t find any similar posts.
This ends our guide on how to fix Hulu Chromecast if it’s not working correctly. Please leave a comment below for your questions and other concerns, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂