Wondering why Hulu is not working on your Apple TV?
Since Hulu was released in 2008, the app slowly gained traction and crawled its way up to become one of the most popular on-demand video streaming services. Currently, Hulu has over 28 million subscribers, and that number still grows as you read this.
The platform supports many devices, including major systems like Android, iOS, and several consoles. Hulu is also available on set-top boxes like Apple TV, Amazon Fire Stick, and other Android boxes.
Unfortunately, many users have reported in the Hulu Community that they struggle to access the platform on their Apple TV due to unknown reasons.
Based on what we know, most errors on Hulu are caused by server-related issues or a problem with your network connection. It is also possible that some files on your device got corrupted, or you are using an older version of the app.
Given the number of angles to consider when troubleshooting this issue, it may take you a while to figure out what is going on, especially if you don’t know where to start.
Lucky for you, we are here to help.
In this guide, we will show you exactly what to do if Hulu is not working on your Apple TV.
Let’s dive right in!
1. Check Hulu’s Servers.
The first thing that you should check if Hulu is not working on your Apple TV is the servers. Since Hulu is an online service, its servers play a significant role in keeping their services available.
To check Hulu’s servers, you can visit sites like Downdetector, where you can view the current status of the app and the problems it encountered for the last 24 hours.
If the app is down, there’s nothing you can do on your end to address the problem with Hulu’s servers. In this case, we suggest that you just check in from time to time so that you’ll know once the app is working again.
On the other hand, you can still try the remaining methods below and hope that anything works out for you.
2. Try Watching Another Show.
If you cannot play your favorite show on Hulu, it may have encountered an unexpected error and become unavailable.
To confirm this, go back to the media library and pick a random show. If other titles on Hulu works, then the problem is isolated with that particular movie or TV show.
Proceed to the last method below to report the issue to Hulu’s customer support.
3. Check If Your Apple TV Is Supported.
While Hulu is available on a variety of systems, its content and features vary depending on the device you are using. If you cannot access a certain feature or show on your Apple TV, visit the Help Center first to confirm if the platform supports your device.
If the version of Apple TV you own is no longer supported, you can try using a web browser to access Hulu or upgrade to a newer device.
4. Re-Login to Your Account.
Your account may have experienced a temporary bug or glitch that causes the platform to malfunction or crash when you access a movie or TV show.
If this is the case, you can try closing your current session and log back in afterwards to reset your account data.
Check out the guide below to log out of your Hulu account on Apple TV:
- First, open the Hulu app on your Apple TV.
- Next, go to your Profile using the global navigation bar.
- Lastly, scroll down to the bottom and click on Log Out.
Wait for at least 2 minutes before logging back into your Hulu account to check if the problem is solved.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
Hulu requires a minimum internet speed of 3 Mbps to have a smooth movie watching experience on their platform. You also need at least 8 Mbps if you plan to watch Live TV on the app.
If your current plan is below the required speed, contact your service provider and upgrade your subscription. On the other hand, perform a speed test on your network using Fast.com if you know that your plan goes beyond 3 or 8 Mbps.
Restart your router if the test result indicates that your network is running slow. Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and wait for 5 to 10 seconds before plugging it back in to turn on your router.
Once done, run another test on your network to check if it is now running correctly. Contact your ISP if you continue to experience network-related issues and ask them to fix their service.
6. Restart Your Apple TV.
If Hulu and other apps are not working on your Apple TV, your device may have run into unexpected errors. To fix this, restart the Apple TV to allow its operating system to reload all of its resources.
You can follow any of the methods below to restart your Apple TV:
- Press and hold the Back and TV button in your Siri remote until the Apple TV status light blinks repeatedly.
- Unplug the Apple TV’s power cable from the wall outlet for five seconds and reconnect it afterwards.
- Access the Settings of your Apple TV, navigate to System > Restart and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the process.
Once you have restarted your Apple TV, go back to Hulu and check if the app is now working.
7. Update Hulu.
The Hulu app on your device may have a pending update that needs to be installed. A bug or glitch may have occurred on the platform and Hulu released an update to patch the issue.
It is also possible that the version of Hulu on your Apple TV is no longer supported by the servers, which explains why it is not working.
To update Hulu on your Apple TV, follow the guide below:
- First, open your Apple TV and access the Apple Store.
- After that, navigate to the Purchased section and locate Hulu.
- Lastly, click the Update button next to Hulu and follow the on-screen prompts to install the latest version of the app.
Go back to Hulu afterwards and check if the problem is solved.
8. Update Your Apple TV.
Your Apple TV’s operating system may have an underlying issue that causes Hulu or other applications to run into problems or not to work completely. In this case, check if your device has an available update to address the problem.
To update your Apple TV, follow the guide below:
- First, access the Settings page of your Apple TV and go to the System tab.
- Next, click on Software Updates and select Update Software.
- If there’s an available update, click on Download and Install to proceed.
Wait for your device to boot up and access Hulu to check if the app is working correctly.
9. Reinstall the Hulu App.
If updating your Apple TV or Hulu did not work, we recommend reinstalling the app on your device. Hulu may not be installed correctly on your Apple TV, or some of its files got corrupted during use.
To reinstall Hulu, follow the step-by-step guide below:
- On your Apple TV, access the home screen and highlight the Hulu app.
- After that, hold the Touch Surface of your Siri remote until the icons start to wiggle.
- Now, press the Play/Pause button on your Apple TV and choose Delete to uninstall Hulu.
- Lastly, go to the Apple Store and reinstall the Hulu app from there.
Log back into your Hulu account afterwards and use the platform for several minutes to check if any errors would still occur.
10. Reset Your Apple TV.
It is your call if you want to do this following method or not. If you decide to proceed, keep in mind that you should back up any data you have on your Apple TV as it will all be wiped out once you do this procedure.
Resetting your Apple TV would ensure that your device would be rolled back to its factory default, and any errors or corrupted files would be eliminated.
Check out the guide below to reset your Apple TV:
- Open the Settings app on your Apple TV.
- After that, go to the Systems tab.
- Lastly, select the Reset option and follow the on-screen prompts to continue with the process.
Depending on the contents of your Apple TV, resetting may take a couple of minutes, so be patient. Once done, reinstall everything you need on your device and check if the Hulu app is now working.
11. Change Your DNS Settings.
There are times when your ISP’s default DNS becomes unavailable, which can cause instability to your network. If you are experiencing video streaming issues on Hulu, you can try changing your default DNS.
To change your DNS settings on the Apple TV, see the steps below:
- First, open the Settings page on your device.
- After that, go to General and open the Network tab.
- Click on Wi-Fi and select your current network connection.
- Now, tap on Configure DNS and choose the Manual option.
- Lastly, use Google’s Default DNS and click Done. (Google’s DNS Server: 220.127.116.11 / 18.104.22.168)
Go back to Hulu afterwards and check if the problem is solved.
12. Report the Problem to Hulu.
If Hulu is still not working on your Apple TV, it is possible that you might be dealing with a much serious problem. We suggest that you visit Hulu’s Help Center and contact their customer support.
You can also browse the posts on Hulu’s Community page, where you might come across a user who had the same issue and solved it with the help of other users.
This ends our guide on what to do if Hulu is not working on your Apple TV. If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂