Wondering why Hulu is skipping episodes while watching your favorite shows?
One of the best things about Hulu is that you can watch your favorite TV shows and series in one go. You don’t have to wait for your favorite title to air on TV, which is very convenient, especially for people with tight work schedules.
However, have you noticed that the next episode you’re watching doesn’t seem to make sense like you’ve missed something from the last episode?
As it turns out, there is a common issue on Hulu where the platform skips some episodes while you are watching, leaving you confused about the plot of the show. This can be very annoying as you may miss some crucial storylines that can ruin your experience when you get to the last few episodes.
If you are also experiencing this issue on Hulu, keep reading because we’ve got you covered.
Today, we will show you what to do if Hulu keeps skipping episodes while you are watching.
Let’s get started!
1. Check Hulu’s Servers.
The first thing that should come to your mind when you experience problems with Hulu is to check its servers. Given that Hulu is an online platform, it relies on its servers to deliver content and features to the subscribers.
To check the current status of Hulu, you can use third-party tools like Downdetector. It is a website that shows the situation of other platforms and the past issues they encountered.
If there’s a problem with Hulu’s servers, we recommend that you just wait for their team to take action. Check-in from time to time so that you’ll know right away once the servers are back online.
On the other hand, proceed to the following method below if Hulu’s servers are working fine to address the issue on your device.
2. Watch Another Show.
If the episodes of your favorite show keep skipping, there’s a good chance that the issue is isolated within that particular title. To confirm this, pick a random series in the media library and check if the same problem will occur.
Proceed to the last method below if you only experience the issue on a specific show to call the attention of Hulu’s customer support.
3. Delete Your Watch History.
Your watch history on Hulu contains information about the episodes you’ve already watched and the shows you haven’t seen yet. However, random bugs can happen on the platform and cause your watch history to run into errors, which triggers the app to play random episodes.
To fix this, follow the steps below to clear your watch history:
- First, access your Hulu account using a web browser.
- After that, navigate to Privacy Settings and select California Privacy Rights.
- Under the Manage Activity tab, click on the checkbox next to Watch History.
- Lastly, click the Clear Selected button to complete the process.
Important Note: Please keep in mind the current episode you are watching, as it would be deleted once you do this process.
Once done, go back to Hulu’s main screen and try watching a series to check if Hulu would still keep skipping episodes.
4. Re-Login to Your Account.
Unexpected errors may have occurred on your account and caused your user data to be corrupted. In this case, we recommend that you close your current session and log back in afterwards to remove any issues with your profile.
On Android and iOS, you can log out of your Hulu account by doing the steps below:
- First, open the Hulu app on your mobile device.
- After that, access your Profile by tapping on your icon at the bottom right portion of the display.
- Lastly, tap the Log Out button at the end of the page to close your session.
For browsers, follow the steps below to sign out your account:
- On your browser, access the Hulu website to manage your account.
- Next, point the mouse cursor to your Profile icon to access the selection menu.
- Finally, click the Log Out button on the drop-down menu to sign out your account.
After closing your current session, wait for 2 to 3 minutes before signing back into your Hulu account to allow your data to reset. Once done, go back to the media library and check if Hulu would continue skipping episodes.
5. Check and Reset Your Internet.
Hulu requires a minimum internet speed bandwidth of 3 Mbps to enjoy the content on their platform without issues. If your network doesn’t meet this requirement, unexpected problems may occur while using Hulu.
To check if your network meets the requirement, run a test using Fast.com to measure its current upload and download speed. If the result shows that your network is the problem, contact your ISP and arrange for an upgrade if your existing subscription is below 3 Mbps.
On the other hand, restart your router if your network doesn’t reach the correct speeds indicated in your plan.
Run another test on your network after the restart to check if the problem is solved. If the issue persists, call the attention of your service provider and ask them to fix their service.
6. Turn Off VPN.
Virtual private networks are third-party services used to keep your online data secured or access other applications restricted in your area. To learn more on how you can use VPNs to open apps like Hulu outside the US, please visit our dedicated guide.
If you are running VPNs on your device, it may not be compatible with Hulu, or it is not working efficiently, causing delays and interruptions to your network.
Whatever the case is, we recommend that you turn it off before accessing Hulu and check if the problem goes away.
You can also try other VPNs like PureVPN if your current one keeps getting you headaches and issues. PureVPN keeps your network fast and reliable while protecting your online data. It also works well with streaming services like Netflix, HBO Max, and Hulu.
7. Disable Browser Extensions.
If you have any extensions or add-ons installed on your browser, please turn them off when using Hulu. Some extensions are not compatible with Hulu and could interfere with how the platform works, which explains why it keeps skipping episodes on your end.
To turn off browser extensions, see the step-by-step guide below:
- First, open your default search browser and access the Settings tab.
- Now, click on the Extensions tab from the side menu to manage your Browser Extensions.
- Lastly, disable all of your extensions, including the ones related to Hulu.
Once done, go back to Hulu and check if the platform would still keep skipping episodes while watching.
8. Run Malwarebytes.
Malware and other viruses could also be the reason why Hulu keeps skipping episodes on your device. You see, viruses consume your network bandwidth and system resources, causing Hulu and other applications to malfunction.
This could also be the reason why videos on Hulu keep jumping forward while watching on your device.
To confirm this, you can use third-party tools like Malwarebytes and use its ‘Full System Scan’ feature to search your entire storage for infected files. Malwarebytes will automatically remove any virus or malware it finds during the scan without the need of pressing a single button.
9. Clear Hulu App Data (Android).
If you are using an Android device, you can also try clearing Hulu’s app data. A random glitch on the platform may have caused Hulu’s data to get corrupted, which triggered multiple app errors.
Check out the steps below to clear Hulu’s app data:
- On your device, tap on the Settings app to launch it.
- After that, access the Apps tab and select Hulu from the list.
- Now, tap on the Storage tab to open it.
- Finally, tap the Clear Data button at the bottom of your screen to delete Hulu’s data.
Once done, go back to Hulu, log in to your account, and check if the problem is solved.
10. Update the Hulu App.
The version of Hulu installed on your device could already have an issue related to the autoplay feature. It is also possible that a random bug or glitch occurred, and a simple data refresh is not enough to fix it.
In this case, try to check if there’s an available update for the Hulu app on your device.
On Android, you can check for an update by doing the following:
- First, tap on the Google Play Store from your app drawer to launch it.
- After that, tap on the Menu button and select My Apps & Games from the side drawer afterwards.
- Lastly, locate Hulu from the list of applications and press the Update button to install the patch.
For iOS devices, follow the guide below to check for possible updates:
- Access the home screen of your device and tap on the App Store to launch it.
- Next, tap your Profile icon on the top left corner of your screen.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to Hulu to install the update.
If you are using other devices, refer to the guides below to help you out:
- Fire TV and Fire Stick
- Apple TV 2nd and 3rd Generation
- Apple TV 4th Gen and Newer
- Nintendo Switch
- Playstation 4
- Xbox One
After updating Hulu, go back to the show you are watching and check if the app would still skip episodes while watching.
11. Reinstall Hulu.
If the Hulu app still keeps skipping episodes or the video you are watching jumps forward a few seconds, we suggest that you reinstall the app. Some of its installation files may have gotten corrupted beyond repair, or it was not installed correctly in the first place.
On Android devices, you can reinstall Hulu by doing the following steps:
- First, go to your app drawer and find the Hulu app.
- Next, press its app icon until the selection screen shows up.
- After that, tap on Uninstall to delete Hulu.
- Once done, fire up the Google Play Store and download Hulu on your device again.
For iOS users, check out the steps below to reinstall Hulu on your device:
- On your device, locate the Hulu app from the home screen.
- After that, tap and hold its app icon to open the options menu.
- Now, tap on Remove App to uninstall Hulu.
- Finally, open the App Store on your device and reinstall Hulu from there.
If you are using other systems, check the guides below to reinstall Hulu on your device:
Go back to your Hulu account afterwards and check if the problem is solved.
12. Report the Problem to Hulu.
If you still can’t watch your favorite shows properly on Hulu. We suggest that you let the experts take over the situation.
Visit the Help Center and report the issue to their customer support. Make sure to include the exact device you are using, your account details, and the show you are watching to make it easier for their team to provide the best solution for your problem.
You can also browse the posts in Hulu’s Community and see if you can find similar queries about your problem.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix Hulu if it keeps skipping episodes while watching a series on your device. If you have any questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll get back to you whenever we can.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂