Feel frustrated by the fact that Instagram won’t let you log in?
Instagram is one of the most used social media platforms today. It is a great way to express yourself and to share your precious memories with your loved ones.
However, even the best social media sites also experience issues and downtimes. One of the most common problems encountered by users on Instagram is the login issues on their application. There’s even specific documentation on Instagram’s help center regarding this issue.
In this article, we are going to show you a few tips and tricks on how you can possibly fix the issue on Instagram won’t let you log in.
But first, let us discuss a few reasons as to why you are experiencing such issues with the Instagram app.
Why Instagram Won’t Let Me Log in?
In case you are not able to access your Instagram account, you can check the list below to give you an idea of why this happened to your account.
You Entered a Wrong Username or Password.
If you are having problems accessing your account on Instagram, make sure to double-check all the login details that you have provided to ensure that they are correct. It’s important to keep in mind that Instagram’s password field is case sensitive. Entering the wrong credentials too many times can also block your account as the application will interpret it as someone trying to hack into your account.
Your Account Has Been Disabled or Blocked.
Another reason for login issues on Instagram is that your account has been disabled or blocked due to violation of terms and conditions, being reported by multiple users, and/or being inactive for a long time.
The Instagram App on Your Device Is Outdated.
It is also possible to encounter login issues on Instagram if you are using an old version of the app, which Instagram no longer supports. The app can no longer communicate with Instagram servers which causes the login problems on the app. Make sure that you always have the latest version of Instagram on your device to avoid login issues in the future.
Instagram Servers Are Having Problems at the Moment.
The last possible reason for Instagram login problems is that their servers are down, and they are currently experiencing technical problems. If their main servers are down, then, the Instagram app won’t be able to communicate with the server, and it cannot gather data to proceed with the user login process.
Now that you know the possible reasons as to why Instagram won’t let you log in to your account, you can proceed to the guide below will show you how you can fix the issue with your Instagram app.
There are a couple of ways that you can try to fix the login error on Instagram. But, in this guide, we listed the most effective ways on how to resolve the login problem on Instagram. By the end of this post, you should be able to log into your Instagram account without any issues. 🙂
Let’s dive in!
- 1. Restart Your Device.
- 2. Check Instagram’s Servers.
- 3. Check Your Internet Connection.
- 4. Check Your Device’s Date and Time.
- 5. Clear Instagram’s Data and Cache (Android Devices Only).
- 6. Reset Your Instagram Account’s Password.
- 7. Check for an Update.
- 8. Contact Instagram for Support.
How to Fix Instagram Won’t Let Me Log In Issue: 8 Ways.
1. Restart Your Device.
The first thing that you can do if Instagram won’t function properly is to restart your device.
Yes, it does sound cliche at times, but it’s important to understand that if your device has been running for too long and a lot of processes are running in the background, then there’s a chance that you don’t have enough system resources to run the Instagram app properly.
In this case, restarting your phone would free up system resources on your device to ensure that you have enough for the Instagram app to run properly.
The below steps will show you how you can restart on both Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad) devices.
How to Restart Your Android Device.
- On your device, locate the Power button then, press and hold it until the Power Options menu appears on the screen.
- Now, tap on the Restart button and wait for your device’s screen to completely turn off.
- Lastly, wait for your device to completely boot up. This may take several seconds to complete.
After your device has completely restarted, open the Instagram app, and try logging in to your account to check if the log in issue on the app is resolved.
How to Restart Your iPhone or iPad.
- Now, press and hold down on the Power button until the “Slide to Power Off” option appears on your screen.
- Next, release the Power button. Then, hold and drag the slider to the right until your iPhone or iPad’s screen turns black.
- After turning off your device, wait for at least ten seconds then, press and hold the Power button again until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Lastly, wait for your device to completely boot up and try to log in to your account to check if the issue on Instagram is resolved.
However, if you still can’t access your Instagram account after restarting your device. You can proceed to the next method below.
2. Check Instagram’s Servers.
When your Instagram app is not functioning properly or if you are unable to access your account, then it’s worth checking if Instagram’s servers are working properly.
It is possible that the downtime on their servers causes the login issues on your Instagram account.
However, Instagram doesn’t have a dedicated page on its website that gives out the status of their servers. Hence, you will have to use a third-party website monitoring website like Downdetector to check the status of Instagram’s servers.
Downdetector is a great service that provides free, real-time information about the Instagram servers and displays any problems encountered by the app for the past 24 hours.
We like the fact that it also showcases the top most reported problems by users too. So if you see that one of the topmost reported problems is ‘Login issues’ or something in a similar vein, then chances are that the login issue is widespread.
3. Check Your Internet Connection.
Difficulty accessing your account can be a result of poor internet connection. If the Instagram app doesn’t have access to a reliable network, then, it won’t be able to communicate properly with Instagram’s servers.
What you can do is to try restarting your Internet router to ensure that it is connected properly to your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
To restart your router, locate its power cable and unplug it from the router. After that, wait for 10-15 seconds to allow the router to rest. Then, plug in the power cable on your router and wait for it to complete startup.
Now, reconnect your device to your network connection. Launch the Instagram app and try accessing your account to see if restarting your router fixed the login issue on Instagram.
However, if restarting your router did not fix the issue. Proceed to the fourth method below and make sure to follow the steps properly.
4. Check Your Device’s Date and Time.
If your device has the wrong date and time, then it can cause problems when connecting with Instagram’s servers.
Instagram relies on the internet to connect with their servers, and the service is particular when it sees your device has the wrong date and time settings. As a result, it may reject your access to their servers because it identifies it as malicious activity.
The following steps will show you how to set the correct date and time settings for both Android and iOS (iPhone and iPad) devices.
How to Set Date and Time on Android Devices.
If you are using an Android device, you can change the date and time settings by following the procedure below.
- On your Android device, go to the App Drawer and launch the Settings app.
- Next, on the Settings app, scroll down and find the General Management tab.
- Now, tap on Date and Time to change your device’s date and time configuration.
- Lastly, turn on Automatic Date and Time settings to ensure that your device will always have the correct date and time.
After setting the date and time to automatic, open the Instagram app, and try accessing your account to see if this method resolved the issue.
How to Set Date and Time on iOS Devices.
On a device running on iOS, you can set your date and time by following the detailed guide below.
- Open your iOS device and go to the main screen.
- Now, tap on the Settings app to launch it.
- Now, tap on the General tab inside the Settings app.
- Tap on Date & Time.
- Lastly, you will see a switch that turns on or off the Set Automatically button. The setting automatically detects your location and sets the date/time according to it. Make sure to turn it on so that your device will always have an accurate date and time.
If the Set Automatically setting was already turned on, try to switch between Time Zones and back and then try turning the Set Automatically back off and on again. See if this helps.
Once you’ve done the above tweaks, re-open the Instagram app and try to access your Instagram account to check if it will allow you to log in to your account.
In case you are still having problems logging in to your Instagram account, you can try clearing the app’s data and cache for Android devices.
However, if you are using an iOS device, you can skip the next method and proceed directly to Method 6, as we will be showing how to clear the app data and cache for Android devices.
5. Clear Instagram’s Data and Cache (Android Devices Only).
If you have had Instagram installed on your Android device for quite some time, then it is possible that some of its system files got corrupted during use or while updating the app.
In this case, wiping the application’s data and cache would rollback any changes to the app’s system files which ensures you that you have a fresh copy of the app and that it works properly.
You can follow the steps below on how you can wipe Instagram’s cache and data.
- On your device, go to the App Drawer then, tap on the Settings app to open it.
- Now, inside the Settings app, find and tap on the Apps tab.
- Next, on the Apps tab, click on the Instagram app to open its settings.
- Now, click on Storage and tap on the Clear Data button. Keep in mind that the placing of the Clear Data button may vary depending on the Android device that you are using.
6. Reset Your Instagram Account’s Password.
In some cases, it is also possible that the password you remember for your Instagram account is incorrect. You can try resetting your Instagram account’s password so that you are sure that you are entering the correct login credentials for your Instagram account.
To reset your account’s password, follow the guide below.
- On your device, open the Instagram app and tap on Get help with signing in.
- Now, enter your Username or Email to recover your Instagram account then tap on Next.
- After that, choose a way on how you will receive the link to reset your Instagram account’s password.
- Lastly, access the link and create a new password for your account.
After resetting your account’s password, try to log in on the app to check if the issue on the Instagram app is already resolved.
If still no luck, try checking if there’s any pending update(s) for the Instagram app.
7. Check for an Update.
Checking and installing and pending updates can certainly help fix the login problems you’re facing with the Instagram app.
Particularly, if you are using an outdated version of the app, it might not be able to properly communicate with Instagram’s servers which causes the error when logging in to your account.
It is also possible that Instagram has already rolled out an update by the time you’re reading this post that addresses the login error issue.
The following steps will show you how you can check for Instagram app updates on both Android and iOS devices.
How to Check for an Update on Android Devices.
- On your Android device, find and open the Google Play Store.
- Next, tap on the button with three horizontal lines located at the left part of the search bar.
- After that, the side menu will appear on the screen. Tap on My Apps and Games tab on the side menu.
- Lastly, Google Play Store will automatically check for an update to all the applications installed on your device. Tap on the Update button if a software update is available for the Instagram app.
After updating the Instagram app, launch the application and try to log in to your account to check if the log in issue with the app is already resolved.
How to Check for an Update on iOS Devices.
- Unlock your iOS device and open the App Store.
- Next, you will find a navigation bar at the bottom of your screen. Tap on the Updates tab located at the right part of the navigation bar.
- Lastly, the App Store will automatically check for an update for Instagram and all the apps installed on your device. If an update is available, click on the Update button located on the right side of the Instagram app.
Now, wait for the update to complete, then open the Instagram app and try accessing your Instagram account to check if the issue with logging in is fixed.
8. Contact Instagram for Support.
The last thing that you can do if all the steps above did not work is to go to Instagram’s support center to find some tips and information as to why this kind of login errors are happening to you.
Instagram has a robust help center that features a lot of helpful guides in case you encounter problems with their app. Check out this specific thread on Instagram’s help center about dealing with login issues on your Instagram account.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix Instagram login errors on your device. If you know other solutions that might help others as well, please share them in the comment section below, and we would be glad to give you credit once this article got updated.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂