Have you ever been late for work or school because your iPhone alarm clock was not working?
It can be frustrating now that technology has been a crucial part of your daily routine. Digital management of tasks, meetings, and special events can now be programmed in your phones. Apple is one of the best providers of this technology, ranging from your personal usage to corporate solutions.
Sadly, technology as a whole will always have points of failure because it is made up of different components. Sometimes, users also fail to understand how it works and how it should be used. But don’t you worry about that because we are here to help you out.
Our guide is about how to fix your iPhone alarm clock that is not working. We will discuss the functionalities and settings that might be the reason why it is not functioning. We also provide the fixes in each of the points of failure of the application and device.
Let’s dive in!
1. Check Alarm Settings
The alarm clock settings can sometimes be confusing to other users. The application can be adjusted according to your needs. There are a lot of factors to consider when it comes to the Alarm settings. Here are the settings you need to check to make sure that your alarm will work:
- First and foremost, go to the Clock app and then tap Alarm.
- From there, tap Edit and choose an alarm that you already created or create a new one.
- Next, you can first click on Repeat to make sure you set it to daily or only on certain days, depending on your needs.
- Then go back to the Edit Alarm option page and then toggle the Snooze option to enable it. This feature would alert you again if you did not properly turn off during the alarm event.
- Now go to Sound and then choose a ringtone from the default list. Do not use any custom ringtones which you’ve purchased and downloaded for now. This is to test and make sure that the ringtone actually works as intended.
- Next, tap Save at the top right corner of the screen.
- Finally, go back to the Clock app, then find the Sleep/Wake Up alarm and tap the Change button. Make sure to turn off Wake Up Alarm. This can avoid conflicts with the manually set alarms that you’ve set previously.
Next, you need to make sure that the ringer volume is loud enough to be heard. Here’s how you can do it:
- First, go to your iPhone’s Settings, then tap on Sounds & Haptics.
- Then, under the Ringer and Alerts, drag the slider to the right to increase the volume of the alarm.
Now that your alarm is correctly set up, it should work properly. But if you are still experiencing the same problem, proceed to the next method.
2. Check Time and Date Settings.
There is a possibility that your iPhone does not have the correct time settings. This can be causing your alarm to be triggered at the wrong time. Here’s how to check it:
- First, go to your iPhone’s Settings, then tap General, and then tap Date & Time.
- Then set your correct time zone according to your area.
- Lastly, tap on Set Automatically option.
Now that you have the correct time settings, your alarm should go off at the right time. But if you are still experiencing the same issue, please proceed to the next method.
3. Delete Alarm and Add New.
There must be a setting that you must have forgotten that is causing the alarm not to go off properly. To make sure, you can delete the existing alarm and just add a new one. Here’s how you can do it:
- First go to the Clock app, then tap the Alarm option.
- Then tap Edit and then tap the (–) button to view the Delete option. Tap on Delete to confirm.
- Next, to add a new alarm, click on the (+) button on the upper right corner of the screen.
- Lastly, to set up the alarm properly, refer to Method 1 of this guide.
Now that you have a new alarm, it should work properly now. But if ever you are still experiencing the same issue, the next method might be able to help.
4. Disconnect Bluetooth Devices
Are you using Bluetooth enabled earphones or speakers?
That might also be a reason why you do not hear the alarm sound from your iPhone. You can turn off the Bluetooth on your device to make sure that you’ll hear the alarm sound from your iPhone and not from Bluetooth enabled devices.
Go to your iPhone’s Settings, then tap Bluetooth, and then toggle the button to disable the Bluetooth feature. But if your alarm clock is still not working, proceed to the next method.
5. Uninstall Third-Party Alarm Application
You may have an alarm application conflict on your iPhone. It is better to use one application, and we advise you to use the default app that came in with your iPhone. A third-party application may not sometimes work because of pending updates. The need to constantly update an application is troublesome while the default app is tied to your device overall update, which can only be done occasionally. Here’s how to remove the third-party application in your iPhone:
- Go ahead and find the icon of the third-party alarm app that you want to delete in your home screen.
- Next, tap and hold the app icon until it starts to wiggle, and an (x) appears at the upper left corner of the icon.
- Then tap the (x), then tap Delete option to confirm the process.
- Now, if you have more third-party alarm app, delete it by repeating Step 2.
- Finally, if you are finished deleting all the third-party alarm apps, tap Done at the upper right corner of your screen.
Now that you have removed the application conflict, your default alarm app in your iPhone should work properly. But if you are still experiencing the issue, the next method might resolve the issue.
6. Restart the Device
If a certain device has been running for a very long time, it can sometimes not function properly. This is due to the overloaded temporary storage of the device. Your iPhone is not an exception and can suffer the same problem. However, you can always refresh the device by doing a restart process. Here’s how you can do it:
- First, go to your iPhone’s Settings.
- Then find and tap General, then tap Shut Down.
- Lastly, slide the Slide to Power Off button to confirm the process, and your iPhone will subsequently begin to power down. Give it a few seconds, then turn your iPhone back on again.
If you cannot do this, you can always force restart your iPhone. Now that you have refreshed your iPhone, your alarms in the Clock app, along with the other default applications, will work properly. But if your alarms are still not working properly, you need to check out the next method.
7. Update to the Latest iOS Version
In the application level, there might be a possibility that your application is not working properly because of bugs in your current iOS version. To ensure that you have the latest bug fixes, update your iOS to the latest version. According to Apple Support, here’s how you can do it:
- Initially, make sure you backup data of your iPhone using your iCloud or iTunes. This is just to be safe if anything goes wrong in the middle of the process. Learn more about how to backup your device here.
- Then plug in your device into power and connect to a stable internet source via Wi-Fi.
- Next, tap Settings, then General, then Software Update.
- Now tap Download and Install. If a message asks to temporarily remove apps because iOS needs more space for the update, tap Continue or Cancel. Later, iOS will reinstall apps that were removed.
- Then tap Install to update immediately. But if you want a later schedule, you can tap Later and choose Install Tonight or Remind Me Later. If you choose Install Tonight, just plug your iOS device into power before you go to sleep. Your device will update automatically overnight.
- Lastly, enter your passcode if applicable. If you can’t remember your passcode, learn what to do.
If an error occurs while you try to update wirelessly, learn what to do. If more space is needed for a wireless update, you can update using iTunes or delete content manually from your iPhone. Either way, you’ll have the same amount of free space on your device after the update.
Now that you have updated your iOS to the latest version, your alarms should work as intended. But if you are still experiencing the same issue, proceed to the next method.
8. Reset All Settings
Sometimes we tend to forget the setup that we made in our devices from the time we first got it. We also do not know if family members or friends that borrowed your phone have messed up with it. If this happens, it is better to reset everything and start from scratch. In this way, you are sure that your iPhone is set up the way you wanted it. Here’s how to reset all settings in your iPhone:
- First, go to your iPhone Settings, then tap General and then tap Reset.
- Next, tap Reset All Settings option to delete all customized settings and restores the default value settings.
- Then, enter your device passcode, if applicable.
- Lastly, confirm the reset process.
Now that you have restored the settings in its default values, you can add a new alarm and make sure you have the right settings just like in Method 1. To check the time and date settings, you can refer to Method 2 of this guide. You can now use your alarm with no issues. But if you are still having problems, proceed to the next method.
9. Restore Device to Factory Default Settings
If your alarm is still not working, there is a chance that an untraceable error or conflict of application is responsible for it. Restoring your iPhone to its default factory settings will restore all settings. It will also remove all 3rd party application and will only have default iOS applications.
For this procedure, you can either use the Finder app on your macOS Catalina or iTunes app on your macOS Mojave or Windows OS. But make sure you have the updated version of the app before doing this. Here’s how you can do it:
- First, connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC with a Lightning to USB cable.
- Then make sure to back up your data of your iPhone.
- Now, find your device using the Finder or iTunes on your computer. After that, when you see your device in the application, Go back to your iPhone and perform a force restart process. The following steps will show you how to force restart your device depending on which device you have.
If you are using iPhone X, iPhone 8, or later versions:
Press and release the Volume Up button and right away do the same with the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the screen says recovery mode.
If you are using iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus:
Press and hold together the Volume Down button and the Sleep/Wake button until the screen says recovery mode.
If you are using iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE or lower versions:
Press and hold together the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button until the screen says recovery mode.
- Go back to your computer and check for a Restore or Update option message, choose and click Restore iPhone. Your computer then will reinstall the iOS in your iPhone erasing all of your data.
- Now it will take around 15 minutes to download the new software from your computer. But if it more than that and your device exits the recovery mode, you need to repeat the process from Step 3.
- After the restoration process is complete, you can use your phone as new and setup your alarms within the Clock app. You may refer to Method 1 and Method 2 of this guide to make sure you have to correct settings.
- Finally, if everything is working, you can safely recover your iPhone data by restoring your device from backup after the process.
Now that you have made sure that your iPhone does not have any conflict in settings and applications, your Clock app should work properly along with your set alarms. But if you are still experiencing the same issue, please refer to the next method.
10. Visit Nearest Apple Store for Support
There is an advanced procedure that only Apple-certified technicians can perform to restore iPhone in firmware level. It is called Device Firmware Update or DFU mode where they can restore a working firmware on your iPhone device. They can do this on your behalf to make sure that your device is not having issues at the firmware level. But if your iPhone is still having issues, they will need to troubleshoot the issue at the hardware level.
All of these repair services are available at your nearest Apple store. But we suggest that you check your warranty options before going there. Be sure to tell the technicians the methods you tried in the attempt to resolve the issue yourself. It will help the technician so they won’t have to go through the same troubleshooting procedures.
If you do not have an Apple Store near your place, you can check for the available support options in your area. There is an option where you can set an appointment for repair online, and you can just send your device through a courier. Don’t worry. You can always check the status of the repair anytime you want to monitor the repair progress.
For more ways on how to reach out to Apple’s online live chat support team, refer to our in-depth guide here.
This wraps up our guide on how to fix your iPhone alarm clock not working issue. If you have questions related to this topic, please feel free to leave a comment below. Likewise, if you do come across an alternative solution which you’ve found helpful, feel free to share it below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂