Happen to find your pinned conversations in Messages app keep disappearing on your iPhone running iOS 14?
One of many cool and convenient features that Apple included in the iOS 14 update is being able to pin group and individual messages to your Messages app.
Pinned messages are arranged in a 3 by 3 grid and are limited to only nine contacts. Contact icons are displayed for individual messages, while group chats will have participant pictures displayed in a circle by default. This can be changed if you select and apply a group photo.
This cool feature is welcomed by a lot of Apple users but unfortunately has been malfunctioning and bugging out. Pinned conversations disappear whenever you close and reopen the Messages app, and furthermore, some conversations don’t appear on other devices like the Mac and iPad as well.
Why is this happening?
- 1. How to Pin Conversations in Messages.
- 2. Update All Your Devices To The Latest iOS.
- 3. Android Users Unpin Conversations.
- 4. How to Unpin Conversations.
1. How to Pin Conversations in Messages.
Before we begin, if you don’t already know how to pin conversations in Messages, then here’s a quick guide on how.
Pinned conversations make finding your important contacts much easier since they will always be displayed at the top of your screen. Gone are the days of having to scroll down or type into the search bar when you’re trying to contact your wife, lover, best friend, and so on. You get the idea.
These pins will be arranged in a 3 by 3 grid of contact icons. Unfortunately, you can only have nine active pins, which should be all you need. Apple setting a limit to how many pins you can have is a good decision, since having too many pins will lose the purpose of pinning conversations.
There are three ways you can pin conversations in Messages, we will list them down from what we think is the quickest to the longest.
The swiping your pins:
- First, go ahead and open up the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Now, look for the contact you want to pin and swipe their face to the right of your screen. A yellow button with a pin should pop up on the left side.
- Finally, either tap on the pin or swipe the contact to the right again to pin your conversation.
The press and hold:
- With your Messages app open, tap and hold on your desired contact.
- Your conversation should expand and display a list of options below. Select Pin to finish pinning your conversation.
The edit and pin:
- Just like the steps above, make sure the Messages app is already open.
- Next, on the top-left corner of your screen, tap on Edit. This should display a dropdown list of options. For this method, select Edit Pins.
- Lastly, all your messages should have pins right next to them. Tap on these pins to pin your conversation.
Voila! Your messages are pinned to the top of your Messages app. Now, let’s figure out how we can keep them there.
2. Update All Your Devices To The Latest iOS.
Pinned conversations randomly disappearing on the latest iOS is a bug and glitch. At the same time, since your messages are synced automatically, having an outdated device can be the cause of the bug.
Make sure that all your devices using the ‘Pinned Conversations’ iOS 14 feature is indeed updated to iOS 14.0.1, Apple’s latest iOS release as of October 1, 2020. This will clear any software inconsistencies between your devices.
Before you begin this step we recommend that you have: a stable Wi-Fi connection (to download the update) and above 40 percent battery life on your phone. This step should take as little as 5-10 minutes but can vary depending on the speed of your Wi-Fi network.
Here’s how you can check for the latest software update:
- Start by opening up your Settings app and navigating to General.
- Once you’re there, tap on Software Update.
- If there is an update, a clear indication will appear. Simply tap Install Now if an update is available.
- Finally, follow through the necessary prompts and get ready for your phone to restart.
Once you’re done, all your devices should be operating in the same iOS version! Keeping your devices updated is a great way to make sure all features, especially syncing ones, work smoothly across your mobile devices.
3. Android Users Unpin Conversations.
Although we hate to feel like alienating our Android cousins, some users have noticed that group chats or pinned conversations with Android users are more likely to disappear. The explanation as to why this happens remains unclear.
It is most likely due to software incompatibilities with your iPhone trying to sync with your contacts. However, no official documentation has been released from Apple. Have you noticed this with your contacts as well?
Whatever the case may be, the only way to resolve this issue is by waiting for Apple to release a patch fix for this problem.
4. How to Unpin Conversations.
Since Apple limited the amount of pinned conversations you can have on your Messages app, it’s only natural that you can unpin and replace them.
We all have priorities that switch every so often depending on the work, conversation, or friend we want to keep in touch with. Heck, you may even have accidentally pinned the wrong conversation. If any of these situations apply to you, here’s how you can Unpin conversations.
The press and hold:
- Let’s start by opening up the Messages app.
- Now, press and hold on the contact you want to unpin. Tap on Unpin [Name].
The edit and delete:
- With the Messages app already open, tap on the Edit button at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Your pinned contacts should have a small minus icon (–) on the top-left side of their picture. Tap on this to unpin their conversation from your phone.
The Messages app malfunctioning isn’t closely programmed to your operating system, which is what resetting your settings and doing a factory reset is good at fixing. Furthermore, Apple is currently working on new updates with patch fixes, like the iOS 14.0.1, so you can rest assured that your problem should be fixed soon.
However, if you’re still interested in trying to reset your settings or doing a factory reset, the links to those methods are embedded above.
Now that you’ve reached the end of this article, we hope that we answered your question regarding ‘how to fix iPhone pinned messages disappearing on iOS 14’. If you have any questions about the steps or explanations provided, feel free to leave a comment down below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂