Looking for ways to fix the ‘Its time to update your device’ code on Windows 10?
Installing new Windows updates might seem like a tedious task, but you would miss out on new features and potential performance improvements without these updates. These updates are installed automatically on most computers, but Windows will notify you to install the pending updates manually if you do not have that feature enabled.
Recently, several users reported that their screens display ‘Its time to update your device’ code whenever they try to install any software on their device. Some users also claimed that this code appears when they are using an application on Windows.
If you face a similar issue and cannot install or update your device’s software, then you are in the right place. This guide will walk you through the process of fixing the issue at hand in detail.
However, before proceeding towards the troubleshooting steps, we recommend switching out of S mode if you are using it.
Now let’s dive right in!
1. Use Windows Media Creation Tool.
If your screen displays an error code saying it’s time to update your device, then the first thing you should try doing is using the Windows Media Creation Tool. Most users have been able to resolve the issue by only using the Media Creation Tool, and we hope that doing so will help you too.
Windows Media Creation Tool is a small executable file developed by Microsoft to help the users install the latest app and software updates on their PC. Users also use this utility to repair the corrupt installations on their PC.
Here is how you can use the Windows Media Creation Tool to fix the error at hand:
- Download the Media Creation Tool on your PC. If a download prompt appears on the screen, click on Save File.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to proceed, and in the ‘What do you want to do’ window, select Upgrade this PC now.
- Follow the on-screen instructions again.
- Inside the ‘Ready to install’ page, click on Change what to keep. We recommend selecting ‘Keep personal files and apps’ if you do not want to lose your important files and apps during the process.
- Finally, click on Install and wait for the process to complete.
- Once the tool is downloaded, try installing the latest software and check if doing so resolved the issue.
You should now be able to install any software and the latest updates without any issues.
2. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter.
There are times when Windows fails to install the latest updates on your PC due to a corruption error or bug within the system. This is when Windows Update Troubleshooter comes into play.
This troubleshooting utility stops the Windows Update Services, clears the Windows Update cache, and then restarts the Update Services.
The process of running the Windows Update Troubleshooter is quite simple and would not take much of your time.
Here is what you need to do:
- Go to Settings and select Update & Security.
- Select Troubleshoot from the left panel.
- Locate Windows Update and click on it.
- Finally, click on Run the troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process. If any issues are detected, the troubleshooter will notify you and attempt to fix them automatically.
- Once the process is completed, try installing the update again.
If a bug or corruption error was causing the issue, the troubleshooter would fix the Windows update error. If the error persists, proceed to the next method below.
3. Try Using CleanMyPC.
As we mentioned in Method 2, corruption errors and bugs can prevent Windows from installing updates. If the Windows Update Troubleshooter could not identify issues and your screen is still displaying ‘It’s time to update your device’ on Windows 10, we suggest using a more extensive scanner as the issue might be in the protected system files or Windows Registry.
While there are several options available in the market, we highly recommend using CleanMyPC.
CleanMyPC is a reliable and efficient cleaner that can scan viruses and other problematic files within your system. It identifies the files and attempts to eliminate the issues automatically, with little to no user input!
Moreover, it comes with a wide range of system maintenance tools that can take care of almost all PC-related problems such as slow speed and privacy issues. Considering all the factors mentioned above, we wouldn’t mind saying that CleanMyPC is a one-stop-shop for everything your PC needs.
4. Allow Windows to Install from Third-party Programs.
Not so long ago, Windows did not allow its users to install the latest updates or software using a third-party source. This was due to several security reasons, but recent updates have introduced a feature that allows the users to do so.
If you are trying to install the update or software using a third-party source but are receiving the error under discussion, then it is probably because you haven’t changed the Update settings yet.
Once you change the settings and allow Windows to install applications from third-party programs, the error will disappear automatically.
Here is what you need to do:
- Go to the Settings and select Apps.
- Click on Apps and Features on the left panel.
- Locate Choose where to get apps in the Apps and Features window and click on the dropdown menu under it.
- Choose Anywhere and close the window.
- Now try installing the update again.
That’s it. Doing so will allow Windows to install programs from third-party sources, and hopefully, resolve the issue in the process.
This brings us to the end of our guide on fixing the ‘It’s time to update your device’ on Windows 10. We hope that our troubleshooting steps helped you resolve the issue. If you have any questions regarding the steps, please let us know in the comment section below!
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂