Keep getting an error code 0xE8000015 whenever you try to connect your device to iTunes?
iTunes is a free software developed by Apple to give its customers the convenience in managing iOS devices using their computers. While iTunes is a great companion for your iOS device, it is not perfect just like any other program, and encounters a few hiccups and errors from time to time.
There have been reports from a few users who are having problems connecting their iOS device on iTunes and greeted with an iTunes error code 0xE8000015. Now, the error message can be caused by a couple of reasons like faulty device drivers, improper device configuration, or even an outdated version of iTunes.
Since the issue can be caused by several reasons, there are also several solutions to the problem. To make it easier for you, we have listed the best methods that you can do to fix the iTunes error code 0xE8000015, and we will guide you through each one step-by-step.
- 1. Restart Your Devices.
- 2. Check for Updates.
- 3. Reinstall USB Drivers.
- 4. Reset the Lockdown Folder.
- 5. Reinstall iTunes on Your Computer.
1. Restart Your Devices.
The first thing that you should do if any of your devices are not working properly is to give it a simple restart. Restarting your device allows it to load all of its resources once again, which could have encountered a temporary glitch or error during use.
How to Restart Your Windows Computer.
To restart your Windows computer, follow the step-by-step guide below:
- On your computer, press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Start menu.
- Next, click on the Power button to open the Power Options menu.
- Lastly, click on Restart to begin rebooting your operating system.
Now, wait for your computer to reboot completely and open iTunes once again.
How to Restart Your macOS Computer.
For macOS users, you can follow the steps below on how to restart your Mac:
- On your computer, press on the Apple button located at the upper left corner of your screen.
- Now, click on the Restart button.
- Lastly, when the confirmation prompt appears, click on Restart.
After that, wait for your computer to reboot completely, then go back to iTunes.
How to Restart Your iOS Device.
Now, for your iOS device, you can restart it as shown below:
- Find the Power button on your iOS device, press and hold it until the Slide to Power Off option appears.
- Now, press on the Power switch on the screen and slide it to the right until the screen turns off.
- Finally, after turning off your iOS device, press on the Power button again to turn it on.
Once done with restarting your devices, go back to iTunes and try to connect your iOS device once again to see if the error code 0xE8000015 would still occur on iTunes.
However, if you are still having issues regarding iTunes, proceed to the next method below to try and fix the issue.
2. Check for Updates.
If your device refuses to connect to iTunes, it is possible that you are facing a compatibility issue on one of your devices.
Your computer or iOS device might be using an older version of their software which may not be supported by iTunes. This, as a result, can cause the error 0xe8000015 message to occur.
To fix this, you can try checking for an update on your computer, iOS device, and iTunes itself.
How to Update Windows.
On your Windows computer, you can check for an update by doing the steps below:
- On your keyboard, press on Windows key + I to open Windows Settings.
- Inside Windows Settings, click on Update & Security.
- Lastly, click on the Windows Update tab from the side menu, and it will automatically scan for any update available for your operating system.
If available, follow the on-screen prompts on how to download and install the update on your computer. After updating, restart your computer and open iTunes once again.
How to Update Your iOS Device.
Here’s how you can update your iOS device:
- On your iOS device, go to the main screen and tap on Settings to open it.
- Next, inside the Settings, tap on the General tab.
- Lastly, tap on Software Update. Your device will start checking for any update available for the current version of iOS installed on your device.
Now, if an update is available for your device, follow the on-screen prompts to install it.
How to Update iTunes.
Check out the steps below to guide you on how to update the iTunes app on your computer.
- On your computer, go to the Desktop and open the iTunes app.
- After that, click on the Help tab located at the menu bar at the top of your screen.
- Lastly, click on Check for Updates and it will automatically scan for any update available on the current version of iTunes installed on your computer.
Now, after updating your devices, open iTunes once again and try to connect your iOS device to check if the error code 0xE8000015 would still occur on your computer.
3. Reinstall USB Drivers.
Since you are connecting your iOS device using a USB port on your computer, it is worth checking if there is a faulty USB driver installed on your operating system.
Device drivers play an essential role in your computer’s hardware, particularly for the USB ports to function properly on your computer.
To reinstall your USB drivers, follow the steps below to guide you through the process:
- On your computer, press on the Windows key + S and search for Device Manager.
- After that, click on Open to launch the Device Manager.
- Inside the Device Manager, click on Universal Serial Bus Controller to expand it.
- Next, right-click on your USB driver.
- Lastly, click on Uninstall to remove the driver from your computer.
Once you are done uninstalling your USB drivers, restart your computer and Windows will automatically install the proper drivers for your USB ports. Now, connect your iOS device once again to see if it will successfully sync with the iTunes app on your computer.
4. Reset the Lockdown Folder.
When connecting an iOS device on iTunes, it creates a subfolder on your hard drive which contains important security files used in communicating with the iOS device that you have connected on your computer.
Sometimes these security files can get corrupted during an update or during use which causes the connecting error on iTunes.
To fix this, you can try resetting the lockdown folder by following the steps below.
- On your computer, press on the Windows key + R to open the Run Command Box.
- After that, type %ProgramData% and hit Enter to open the Program Data folder on your computer.
- Next, find the folder named Apple from the list and open it.
- Inside the Apple folder, right-click on the Lockdown folder and click on Rename.
- Lastly, rename the Lockdown folder to Lockdown.old.
Now, restart iTunes and try to connect your iOS device once again using the USB cable to see if the error code 0xE8000015 would still occur on your computer.
On the other hand, if you are still having problems connecting your iOS device on iTunes, you can try doing the next method below to fix the issue on your computer.
5. Reinstall iTunes on Your Computer.
As a last resort, you can try reinstalling iTunes on your computer. More often than not, iTunes’ application files can get corrupted during an update or while using the program, which causes the connection problem between iTunes and your iOS device.
It’s worth noting that iTunes can be a fragile software at times and we’ve come across many situations where users have found that by reinstalling the iTunes application that it solved most of the iTunes errors they’ve been getting.
Hence, if none of the methods in this post work for you, try to install a fresh copy of iTunes on your computer to see if it does the job. We will show you how you can reinstall iTunes on your computer, step-by-step below:
- First, press on the Windows key + S on your keyboard and search for Control Panel.
- Next, click on Open to launch the Control Panel.
- After that, click on Uninstall a Program.
- Lastly, find and right-click on iTunes from the list of programs installed on your computer and select Uninstall.
Follow the on-screen prompts to remove iTunes completely from your computer. Once you’ve removed iTunes, simply head over to Apple’s official website to download the latest version of iTunes onto your computer.
Once you’ve installed iTunes, try once again to connect your iPhone or iPad to see if you keep getting the 0xe8000015 error.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix the iTunes error 0xE8000015 on your computer. Feel free to share any solutions which you’ve found to fix this issue in the comment section below, and we will credit you with the solution when we update this article in the future. 😀
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂