Is your live location not working on iOS 15?
The Find My app on Apple devices is a great tool to track not only your own device but also the ones belonging to people added to your contact list. But users claim that in the new iOS 15 first-release version, it’s common for the live location of some contacts to be unavailable.
Sometimes, the app may even display a ‘no location found’ message. This can be pretty frustrating especially in an emergency situation.
But don’t stress. We have concluded a list of measures you may take if you’re having trouble viewing the location of your own device or a friend’s. Read through this guide and learn how to check and troubleshoot this issue.
So without further delay, let’s get right to it!
1. Check if Find My Is Available in the Country/Region.
Before you try to do any troubleshooting, make sure the Find My app is available in your country or the region of the friend whose location you are unable to access. Certain regions either don’t have map data available or have restrictions due to local laws.
Another factor to consider is that certain features of the Find My App are not available in all regions across the world. So while the app would be working, you may be unable to access the complete list of features stated on the official website.
2. Enable GPS or Location Services.
The Find My app doesn’t require you to turn on the GPS at all times, as it can also track location using cellular data. That’s why some people keep the GPS turned off to prevent battery drainage.
Unfortunately, cellular data isn’t always accurate, and the app may show a ‘location not found’ message on your display when you’re out of coverage. Under such circumstances, you need to enable GPS or location services.
To do so, follow the steps below:
- First, launch the Settings app.
- Next, tap on Privacy.
- From there, go to Location Services.
- Lastly, turn the toggle on for Location Services.
If the Location Services is already on, try to turn it off and back on to see if the issue is fixed. For iPad users, there are more fixes you can try for the Location Could Not Be Determined Error.
3. Ensure That iCloud and Find My Are Enabled.
Perhaps you are certain that you’ve manually enabled the iCloud and Find My app at some point. But, sometimes the settings are set back off when you update the software of your device.
For that reason, when your live location isn’t working after updating to iOS 15, ensure that both these features are turned on.
Here’s how to do it:
- To begin, open the Settings app.
- Then, tap on your name at the very top.
- Now, tap on iCloud if it says ‘Off’ to set it up. On the other hand, if you see a number of gigabytes or terabytes next to it, the feature is already enabled.
- Next, go to Find My and tap Find My iPhone.
- If not already, turn all the toggles on, including Find My iPhone, Find My network, and Send Last Location.
4. Check the Network Features.
If you notice that the Find My app is not updating location, whether it’s yours or your friends, one possible reason can be a weak network connection. In that case, your device will show the last detected location until you get in the range of the Wi-Fi or the cellular data.
Check the connectivity from your internet settings and do a reset if you find that there could be a glitch. Follow these steps to do so:
- First, open the Settings app.
- Then, go to Wi-Fi or if you use mobile data instead, go to Cellular.
- Lastly, turn the toggle on for Wi-Fi or Cellular Data. Also, check for the signal strength to see if the internet is working properly or not.
If your internet still doesn’t seem to work, try resetting the network settings by following the steps below:
- To begin, launch the Settings app on your device.
- Then, tap on General and go to Reset.
- From there, choose Reset Network Settings and enter your password.
- Finally, tap on Reset to confirm the action. Your device will then restart with default network settings.
You should also check if the Airplane Mode is turned off, as that means you’re not getting in a network. Below are the steps on how to do it:
- Start by launching the Settings app on your device.
- At the very top, the toggle next to Airplane Mode shouldn’t be green. If it is, tap on it to disable the feature.
5. Adjust the Date and Time.
The date and time set on your device affect its location accuracy. Manually setting the date and time often results in your device showing an incorrect location.
Opt to set the date and time on automatic setting. This way, your device adjusts for any changes in the time zone and daylight saving time.
Below are the steps to follow:
- First, go to the Settings app from the home screen.
- Next, tap on General.
- Then, go to Date & Time.
- Finally, switch the toggle on for Set Automatically.
Hopefully, this will fix any issue regarding the incorrect location detection on your iPhone.
6. Enable Share My Location.
If you have not allowed your live location to be shared with contacts added on your Find My app, your friends’ location will not be visible to you as well. That is why you need to turn this feature on in order to get rid of the ‘location not found’ message.
Here’s what you need to do:
- To begin, go to the Settings app.
- Next, tap on your name at the top.
- Then, go to iCloud.
- From there, go to Find My.
- Finally, turn the toggle on for Share My Location.
7. Sign in Using the Same Apple ID.
This method is specifically for times when the Find My app is having trouble locating your own devices. Since Apple utilizes the Apple ID to track down devices, you must log in to the Find My app using the same Apple ID that you’re logged into the device you wish to track.
8. Force Quit the App.
There are chances that you’re having trouble with location availability due to a temporary glitch in the app system. One way to work this problem out is to force quit and restart the Find My app, then check to see if the issue has been resolved.
9. Restart Your Device.
A final solution to the live location not working on iOS 15 issue is to reboot your device. This often eliminates some minor bugs that may be causing the issue. The rebooting method is different with each type and model of device you’re using.
For iPhone 13, you need to first press and quickly release the volume up button and do the same with the volume down button. Then, press and hold the side button and let go once you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.
This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix live location not working on iOS 15. We tried our best to provide you with solutions to this problem and we hope at least one of them did the trick for you. If you still have any questions, leave a comment below. We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂