Wondering how to fix Microsoft error code 0x426-0x0 on your PC?
Whether you are a student, work from home, or own a business, Microsoft Office 365 is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of office automation. Being one of the best productivity software available today, Office 365 keeps updating its application to support the ever-evolving business world’s needs.
However, there are times when the Office apps fail to respond. While some errors can be fixed by simply rebooting your PC, some require lots of research and time. This can be frustrating, especially when you are in a hurry.
One such common error is the error 0x426-0x0, which prevents users from installing, updating, and using the Office applications. This error frequently occurs while using Outlook but can also affect other applications.
If you are facing the Microsoft Office 0x426-0x0 error on your PC, you are in the right place.
This guide will walk you through the process of fixing the 0x426-0x0 error in some simple steps.
Let’s get started.
- 1. Disable Antivirus and Windows Defender.
- 2. Perform an SFC Scan.
- 3. Repair the Registry.
- 4. Close Office-related Process in Task Manager.
- 5. Set Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service to Automatic.
- 6. Repair Microsoft Office.
- 7. Uninstall Old Office Installations.
- 8. Reinstall Microsoft Office.
1. Disable Antivirus and Windows Defender.
If you have installed third-party antivirus software or use Windows Defender Firewall on your PC, try disabling it to solve the 0x426-0x0 error code. There are times when a strict antivirus program or Firewall can prevent the Office application from communicating with the Windows servers. As a result, you fail to use, install, or update apps.
A simple solution to this issue is to disable the security tool and check if it solved the problem. Since security tools protect your system from viruses and other malicious programs, we would not recommend uninstalling them.
Here is how you can disable Windows Defender on your PC:
- Go to the Control Panel and select System and Security.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Inside the Windows Defender Firewall window, click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Now disable Windows Defender Firewall for both public and private networks.
- Once done, check if doing so resolved the error. If it worked, you could add the Office application to the exclusion list. For this, go to the Control Panel and click on System and Security.
- Now select Allow an app through Windows Firewall.
- Under Allowed apps and features, checkmark the Office applications you want to exclude.
Hopefully, doing so will fix the Microsoft Error code 0x426-0x0 and you will now be able to use Office applications without any issues. If you use third-party antivirus software, the process of disabling the program depends upon the version you are using. However, the basic principle for all the programs is the same as the Windows Defender.
2. Perform an SFC Scan.
Sometimes a bug in the system can prevent you from using applications on your PC. Fortunately, Windows comes with several built utilities that detect and repair corruption errors within the protected system files.
One such built-in scanner is the System File Checker (SFC) that comes in handy when you face issues while using Office applications. SFC will inspect all the necessary Windows files and attempt to fix the error.
Here is how you can perform an SFC scan:
- Type cmd in the search bar and click Run as administrator to access Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- Copy and paste the command mentioned below in the elevated Command Prompt window. Press Enter to execute it.
- Once the command is executed, reboot your PC and check if the solution worked.
If a corruption error was causing the Microsoft Office 0x426-0x0 error, running an SFC will fix the issue. If your screen displays the 0x426-0x0 error code again, proceed to the next method below.
3. Repair the Registry.
Windows Registry is a database that stores low-level settings and configurations for the operating system and its applications. If the registry is not maintained correctly, it can cause issues within the applications.
If you face the Microsoft error code 0x426-0x0 error on your PC, there are chances that corrupt registry key values are causing the issue. In this case, try repairing the registry. Hopefully, it will solve the error on your PC.
Here is what you need to do:
- Press Windows + R keys together to launch a Run dialogue box.
- Type ‘regedit’ in the text field and press Enter to open Registry Editor.
- Now delete the keys mentioned below.
- Once you have deleted all the keys, change the value of DWORD to 1 in the Registry Editor.
- Finally, restart your PC and check if the error is resolved.
You should now be able to use Office applications without any issues.
4. Close Office-related Process in Task Manager.
If any Office-related process or application such as Word or Excel is running in the background, there is a possibility that it is preventing other applications from functioning properly. You can solve the 0x426-0x0 error by closing the Office-related processes running on your PC in this scenario.
Here is how you can close the Office-related process in Task Manager:
- Type Task Manager in the search bar and hit Enter to launch the Task Manager window.
- Locate the active Office-related processes and click on them.
- Select End task to close the applications.
That’s it. If the active applications were causing the error, closing them will solve the issue. However, if you reencounter the 0x426-0x0 error, see the next method below.
5. Set Microsoft Office Click-to-Run Service to Automatic.
If you face the 0x426-0x0 error on your PC, check if the service that handles Microsoft Office programs is permitted to carry out relevant operations. If the Click-to-run service is disabled, you will not be able to use the Office applications on your device.
Here you can check and enable the Microsoft Office click-to-run service on your PC:
- Type Services in the search bar and click on Open.
- In the Services window, locate Microsoft Office Click-to-Run and double-click it.
- This will open a new window. From there, select Automatic as your Startup option.
- Finally, click OK to save the changes.
Now try running the Office application. It should run without any issues now.
6. Repair Microsoft Office.
Corrupted installation files can also cause the 0x426-0x0 error. This typically happens when the Office program files are interrupted during installation or updating.
If faulty installation files are causing the 0x426-0x0 error on your PC, repairing the Microsoft Office will fix it. There are two ways to repair the Microsoft Office; Quick repair and Online repair.
We suggest going for the Quick repair and see if it solved the issue. A ‘Quick repair’ can fix the issues without an internet connection. If the Quick repair did not work for you, try repairing Microsoft Office using the Online repair tool. Hopefully, it will solve the error, and you will be able to use Microsoft Office without any issues.
7. Uninstall Old Office Installations.
If you installed a newer version of Microsoft Office without removing the first, then the 0x426-0x0 error is most likely caused by the older version. Your screen displays the error when the latest version of Office 365 attempts to use the same registry keys as the older version.
In this case, you can get rid of the error by simply uninstalling the old Office installations.
Here is how you can do it:
- Open a Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys together on your keyboard.
- Inside the dialogue box, type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and click OK.
- This will open the Programs and Features window. Now locate the old Office installation.
- Right-click on the old Office installation and choose Uninstall to remove it from your PC.
- Once the program is removed, reboot your PC.
- Now go to the Office Troubleshoot Page, and in the Uninstall Office using the easy fix option, click the Download button.
- Once the file is downloaded, select SetupProd_OffScrub.exe and install it.
- Once done, reboot your PC and see if the 0x426-0x0 error is resolved.
Doing so will remove the old Office installations from your PC and, hopefully, solve the error.
8. Reinstall Microsoft Office.
If none of the methods mentioned above works for you, then the corruption causing the issue cannot be solved using conventional methods. In this case, we recommend reinstalling the Microsoft Office on your device.
Reinstalling will remove all the current Office files from your PC and install error-free ones. Don’t forget to note down your sign-in details, as you will be automatically logged out of your account when you uninstall it.
This brings us to the end of our guide on fixing the Microsoft error code 0x426-0x0. We hope that our troubleshooting methods helped you solve the error on your PC. If you have any questions regarding the methods we mentioned, please let us know in the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it.