Are you getting a video with no sound when playing movies or TV shows on Netflix?
With the series of lockdowns happening worldwide due to COVID-19, Netflix has provided a way for us to keep ourselves entertained while staying at home most of the time. The demand for its service has dramatically increased last year and continues to grow as the pandemic continues.
However, it can be pretty frustrating if you can’t enjoy your favorite shows on Netflix due to random errors occurring on the platform.
If you can’t watch a movie or TV show because the video has no sound on Netflix, it can be a problem, especially if your family is joining in for the movie night.
Thankfully, we got you covered!
Most of the time, this problem is caused by a temporary bug or error on your device. Server-related problems and improper device configurations could also be the reason for this issue.
To help you fix the problem, we’ve decided to make a detailed guide in troubleshooting the video with no sound on Netflix.
Let’s get started!
1. Check Netflix Servers.
Whenever you encounter errors on Netflix or any application, the first thing you should always do is check its servers. Since Netflix is an online platform, its servers play an essential role in delivering its features and services.
To check Netflix’s servers, visit their dedicated status page where they show the platform’s current status.
If the website is not accessible, you can use third-party sites like Downdetector, which shows the current state of Netflix’s servers and the past issues it encountered.
If Netflix’s servers are offline, the best thing you can do for now is to wait. However, you can still do the following methods below and see if anything works.
2. Is Your Volume ON and Turned Up?
Before making any changes on your device, double-check your settings first if your speaker volume is not muted. Some users mute their speaker volume unknowingly or forget that they’ve muted it before.
On the other hand, ensure that your device’s volume is also turned up.
After checking your device’s volume, go back to Netflix and play your favorite title again to check if the video has a sound now.
3. Play Another TV Show or Movie.
You can also try playing another TV show or movie if the title you are trying to play doesn’t have an audio output. There are occasions when specific titles on Netflix encounter a problem and become unplayable or malfunction.
To ensure that the problem is not within the title you are currently playing, find another movie or TV show to watch on the platform and check if it still has no audio.
4. Close Other Tabs or Applications.
Another tab on your browser or application on your device is playing audio, which causes Netflix’s videos not to output any audio. Some devices can only play one audio at a time, explaining why there’s no sound on Netflix videos.
To fix this, close any tabs on your search browser and stop other applications from running on your device before playing a Netflix title.
5. You May Have Accidentally Muted Netflix.
Another thing to consider when videos on Netflix have no sound is checking the dedicated audio controls on Netflix’s video player. You may have accidentally pressed the mute button on the video player.
To check the audio on Netflix’s video player, follow the steps below:
- First, access the Netflix website using your preferred browser.
- After that, click on a random title to play it.
- Lastly, hover your mouse at the bottom of your screen and check if the player’s volume is turned up and not muted.
6. Check Your Audio Settings.
If videos on Netflix still have no sound, check your device’s audio settings and make sure that it’s configured correctly. Some applications on your device may have changed your audio configurations without permission and are now causing audio problems on other programs.
On Windows, you can check your audio settings by doing the following:
- First, press the Windows + S keys on your keyboard and search for Sound Settings.
- After that, click on Open to launch it.
- Inside Sound Settings, check if the correct output device is selected and turn the master volume up,
- Finally, close the Sound Settings window and restart your system.
For macOS, you can manage your sound settings by doing the following:
- On your Mac, click on the Sound icon at the top right corner of your display.
- Next, click on Sound Preferences and go to the Output tab.
- Lastly, double-check your sound settings and ensure that it is configured correctly.
7. Temporarily Disable Security Software.
Some third-party antivirus software can get overprotective and flag every application you use as suspicious. If this happens, it can restrict the application from accessing your network, speakers, microphone, and other hardware.
If videos on Netflix have no sound, turn off your antivirus software first and try playing the Netflix title again.
You can also use other antivirus programs like Malwarebytes. Unlike other antivirus programs, it doesn’t interfere with other applications and is less likely to cause issues.
8. Make Sure Bluetooth Is Turned Off.
Your device could still be connected with a Bluetooth speaker or earphones that are already turned off or far away. In this case, your device would always send the audio output on the Bluetooth speaker even if it’s not turned on.
To fix this, make sure that your Bluetooth connection is turned off before playing any videos on Netflix or other applications.
On Android and iOS, you can turn off your Bluetooth by doing the following:
- On your device, swipe downwards from the top of your display.
- After that, locate the Bluetooth switch in the Control Center.
- Lastly, tap on the Bluetooth switch to turn it off.
For Windows users, follow the steps below to turn off your device’s Bluetooth:
- First, click on the Start Menu on the bottom left corner of your display and open the Settings tab.
- After that, click on Devices.
- Finally, click on Bluetooth & Other Devices from the side menu and make sure that your Bluetooth connection is turned off.
On macOS, you can control your Bluetooth connection by doing the following:
- On your Mac, click on the Apple logo on the top left corner of your display.
- After that, click on System Preferences.
- Lastly, click on Bluetooth and make sure that it is disabled.
9. Reinstall Audio Drivers (Windows).
If you still can’t watch Netflix titles with audio, you may be dealing with corrupted or outdated audio drivers on your system. To fix this, simply reinstall the driver on your Windows PC to eliminate any errors and update it in the process.
Check out the steps below to reinstall your audio drivers:
- On your computer, press the Windows + S keys and search for the Device Manager.
- After that, click on Audio Inputs and Outputs to expand it.
- Now, right-click on your Audio Driver.
- Finally, click on Uninstall Device and follow the on-screen prompts to delete your current audio driver.
Once done, restart your computer, and Windows will automatically install the latest driver for your audio device.
10. Report the Problem to Netflix.
If you’re still having problems playing videos on Netflix, we suggest that you report the problem to their team.
Contact Netlflix’s customer support and elaborate on the problem you are experiencing on their platform. Make sure to provide all the essential details like your account information, the device you are using, and the title you are trying to play.
You can also browse the articles on Netflix’s Help Center and see if you can find any solutions for your problem.
This ends our guide on what to do if there is no sound on Netflix videos. If you have any questions or concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll try our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂