Wondering why you are not getting notifications on Gmail?
Gmail is one of the most efficient and reliable email services in the market. Aside from useful features, it also provides 15 GB of storage for your documents, messages, videos, and other data.
However, there’s a limit of 50 MB for receiving emails and 25 MB for sending, including attachments.
For larger files, you’ll have to upload them to Google Drive, which is integrated into your Google Account. You can then attach the link for the file to the email you want to send, and the users with the link can access the file.
Unfortunately, all these features won’t matter if the platform is not working correctly.
Recently, users have reported not getting any notifications from their Gmail accounts when a new email comes in. This can be a problem, especially if you do business transactions on your Gmail.
To help you out, we’ve decided to make a guide on what to do if you’re not getting notifications on your Gmail account.
Let’s jump right in!
1. Check Gmail Servers.
Before doing anything on your device, the first thing you should do when you encounter issues on Gmail is to check the platform’s status. Gmail might be experiencing problems at the moment, causing notification services not to work.
To confirm this, go to Google Workspace’s status page and check if Gmail has an issue.
If the service is down, there’s nothing you can do but wait. On the other hand, you can proceed to the next solution below if Gmail is working to start troubleshooting the problem on your end.
2. Restart Your Device.
A temporary bug or glitch may have occurred on your device, which causes notifications from Gmail and other applications not to appear. To fix this, simply reboot your device to reload its resources and files.
For Android users, you can restart your device by doing the following:
- Locate the Power button on your Android device.
- After that, hold it down until the selection menu appears.
- Finally, tap the Restart option to reboot your system.
If you’re using an iOS device, see the steps below to reboot your system:
- First, open the Assistive Touch on your display.
- Now, go to the Device tab and tap on More.
- Lastly, choose Restart.
After restarting your system, observe if you will now get notifications from Gmail.
3. Check Your Notification Settings.
One of the most common reasons you’re not getting notifications on Gmail is if your configurations are not set correctly. Most operating systems today allow users to control how notifications get delivered to them.
For Android users, see the steps below to check Gmail’s notification settings:
- On your app drawer, press and hold Gmail’s app icon to access the options screen.
- After that, tap on App Info and go to the Notifications tab.
- Finally, check your settings and ensure that Gmail is allowed to send notifications to your device.
If you’re using an iOS device, here’s how you can check your notification settings:
- First, open the Settings on your device.
- Next, go to Notifications and tap on Gmail.
- Lastly, choose how you want notifications to be delivered on your device.
Once done, observe if you now receive notifications for new emails.
4. Check Your Network Connection.
Your network connection could be unstable or slow, preventing Gmail from fetching new data. You won’t receive notifications for new emails on your device when this happens since the app can’t connect to its servers.
To confirm this, perform a test using Fast.com to measure your network’s upload and download speed.
If the test indicates that your connection is the problem, unplug your router from the outlet and wait 5 to 10 seconds before reconnecting it. This should refresh the connection between your ISP’s servers and your modem.
Run another test afterward to check if the restart worked. If not, contact your service provider and ask them to fix their service.
5. Update Gmail.
The version of Gmail you’re using might have an issue related to notifications. Fortunately, Google releases frequent updates on its applications to ensure that they are working all the time.
For Android users, you can update the Gmail app by doing the following steps:
- On your device, launch the Play Store and access your Profile.
- After that, tap on Manage Apps & Device and open the Updates Available tab.
- Finally, look for Gmail and tap the Update button.
If you’re using an iOS device, follow the steps below to update Gmail:
- First, open the App Store on your device.
- Next, go to your Profile and locate the Gmail app.
- Lastly, tap the Update button next to the app to install the latest version.
After the update, wait for a new email and see if you’ll get a notification.
6. Clear Gmail’s Cache (Android).
If you’re using an Android device, we suggest clearing Gmail’s application cache if you are not getting any notifications from your Gmail account. This should eliminate corrupted temporary data from your system.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to your app drawer and locate Gmail.
- Next, press and hold its app icon until the selection menu shows up.
- After that, tap on App Info and access the Storage tab.
- Finally, tap the Clear Cache button.
Restart the app afterward and see if you’ll receive notifications for new emails.
7. Reinstall Gmail.
If clearing your app cache or updating Gmail did not work, its installation files may have gotten severely corrupted and are no longer fixable. In this case, the best thing to do is reinstall the app on your device.
Check out the steps below to delete Gmail on your system:
- First, locate the Gmail app from your home screen.
- Now, press and hold its app icon until the options menu appears.
- Lastly, tap on Remove App (iOS) or Uninstall (Android) to remove Gmail from your device.
Once done, go to the App Store or Play Store and reinstall Gmail from there.
8. Contact Google Support.
At this point, the last thing you can do is let the experts handle the situation.
Visit Google’s Support page and contact their team to ask for assistance regarding the issue with your account. Provide all the necessary details on your report to make it easier for Google’s team to assess the situation.
While waiting for a response, browse the guides on their page and see if you can find alternative solutions.
That ends our guide on what to do if you are not getting notifications on Gmail. For your questions and other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂