Is your camera not scanning QR code on iPhone 14 Pro?
QR codes have made our lives extremely convenient. You can make payments, get contact information, Wi-Fi passwords, and more with a simple scan. Apple, as always, brings its game up by embedding the scanner in the camera itself. That means you don’t need to rely on any third-party application and waste your storage space.
However, after the latest update, the QR code scanner is facing difficulty performing properly. More often than not, it is a software-related issue rather than hardware damage.
Lucky for you, we’ve gathered below all the various fixes for this widespread issue. So if you’re also encountering a problem with the camera not scanning QR code on iPhone 14 Pro, simply follow through the methods listed below and resolve it in no time.
So what’s the wait for? Let’s get started immediately!
1. Ensure QR Code Scanner Is Enabled.
Before we jump to the fixes, let’s ensure you have the QR code scanner enabled for your camera. At times, we forget to turn it on and assume there’s an issue with the feature.
Follow the steps below to do so:
- To get started, unlock your device and head over to the Settings app.
- From there, scroll down to Camera and tap on it.
- Then, make sure the Scan QR Codes option is enabled. If not, tap to turn on the toggle next to it.
Now, go back to the Camera app and try to scan a QR code. In case it still doesn’t work, move to the fixes mentioned below.
2. Center the QR Code While Scanning.
When you wish to scan a QR code using the built-in scanner in your iPhone, remember to use the Camera mode. If you choose to be in Portrait, Slow-Mo, Video, Pano, etc., the scanner will not work.
In addition, make sure to bring the QR code to the center of your camera viewfinder to be focused. After a few moments, your iPhone 14 Pro will automatically display the associated link to open. That means you won’t need to tap any button to activate the scanner.
3. Clean the Lens.
If your camera is still not scanning QR code on iPhone 14 Pro, you should check your camera lens for any smudges or dirt. We often neglect the camera lenses, making them susceptible to grime and require frequent cleaning. If you notice this to be the case, use a soft cloth, preferably microfiber, to clean the camera.
In case the camera is still having a hard time reading the QR code, ensure there is sufficient lighting. If not, bring the QR code where it’s well-lit or have someone else shine their phone’s flashlight on it. Moreover, increase your iPhone’s screen brightness, as that could also be the reason behind the scanning error.
4. Ensure You’re Scanning the Supported Code.
Though iPhone cameras come pre-built with a scanner, they will not be able to scan all types of QR codes. Some may require appropriate third-party applications like those generated by a payment app. Make sure the QR code you’re scanning is supported by all apps, or use the specified app, if any, to see if your iPhone can detect it.
You may also use a third-party QR code scanner if you have no luck getting the built-in scanner to work.
5. Restart the Camera App.
If, despite cleaning the camera, decent lighting, and good framing, your iPhone camera fails to detect the QR code, we recommend you force-quit the Camera app and relaunch it after a few moments. This will eliminate any potential bugs within the app that might be preventing it from functioning properly.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First off, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to open the App Launcher.
- Then, drag up the Camera app to force-close it. While you’re at it, we recommend you close all applications to minimize background activity and enhance device performance.
- Wait for a couple of minutes.
- Now, tap on the Camera app to reopen it.
Bring the QR code into the camera viewfinder and check if it can detect it now. Otherwise, move to the other methods in this guide.
6. Restart Your Device.
In case the bug isn’t only on one app but on the entire device, your best bet is to restart it and see if that resolves the issue. As this method deletes all cache files and restarts services and applications, it will hopefully eliminate whatever is causing the camera not scanning QR code on iPhone 14 Pro issue.
Here’s how to do it:
- To start, long-press the Side button and any Volume button on your device.
- Let go once the slide to power off screen appears.
- Drag the slider all the way to the right to power off your iPhone 14 Pro.
- Wait for a few minutes.
- Then, long-press the Side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Enter your passcode to unlock the device.
Then head over to the Camera app and see if the built-in scanner works now.
7. Use Control Center QR Code Scanner.
As mentioned above, the Camera app doesn’t feature a button or a toggle to activate the scanner or enter the scanning mode. What can be done, however, is to add a QR code scanner shortcut to the Control Center.
Its only function will be to scan the QR codes, so you can indirectly force it to scan a QR code it’s having a hard time reading.
Below are the steps you need to follow:
- Launch the Settings app and go to the Control Center.
- Then, tap on the + icon next to Code Scanner to add it as one of the shortcuts.
- Now swipe down from the right corner of your screen to access the Control Center.
- Tap on the QR code icon to launch the scanner.
- Bring the QR code in the specified box to scan it. If there is insufficient lighting, tap on the flashlight icon to turn it on.
8. Update the iOS.
Often, outdated software versions are the reason for numerous issues within devices that users have to face. For this reason, we recommend you constantly check for official version releases and install the update whenever available.
Follow the steps below to install pending updates on your iPhone 14 Pro:
- From the Settings app, go to General.
- Then, tap on Software Update.
- If a new version is available, simply tap on Download and Install to begin the process.
That was it! This brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix not scanning QR code on iPhone 14 Pro. We’ve mentioned all the effective solutions for the stated issue, which will hopefully work for you as well. To deliver us your queries or feedback, use the comment section below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊