Wondering why notifications are not working on Discord?
Notifications are an integral part of any messaging application. Without it, we can’t keep track of the messages coming in on our account. You won’t also know when someone messages you when you’re not using the app.
Unfortunately, this has been the case for several Discord users. While Discord has an efficient notification system, it doesn’t work all the time.
Based on the reports, many users are not receiving notifications for new messages on servers and channels on their devices. There are also cases where mentions and direct messages do not notify users.
Usually, improper system configurations cause this issue on the platform. However, it can also be due to slow network connections, offline servers, or corrupted data.
Today, we’ll show you what to do if notifications are not working on Discord.
1. Check Discord Servers.
One of the most common reasons why you are not receiving notifications on Discord is offline servers. If the servers are down, the Discord app can’t fetch new messages coming from other users.
To confirm this, visit Discord’s status page and check the current situation of their services.
Unfortunately, there’s nothing much you can do if Discord’s servers are down since server-related issues can’t be addressed on your end.
On the other hand, you can head to the following method if the servers are up and running.
2. Enable Desktop Notifications.
If you’re using the dedicated app for Windows, it’s possible that notifications on Discord are not enabled.
To fix this, follow the steps below to enable desktop notifications:
- First, open Discord on your computer.
- After that, go to the Settings and access the Notifications tab.
- Lastly, ensure that ‘Enable Desktop Notifications’ is turned on.
Once done, wait for a new message and see if you will receive a notification about it.
3. Check Your Push Notification Timeout.
Discord gives you the option to stop push notifications on your mobile device if you’re using the desktop app. However, this can be an issue if you have just finished using the desktop app and switched over to your mobile device.
If you’re not receiving notifications on your mobile device, see the steps below to change your push notification timeout settings:
- On your device, launch Discord and access the Settings.
- Next, go to Notifications.
- Finally, click on Push Notifications Inactive Timeout and change it to 1 Minute.
Ask one of your friends to message you afterward to check if notifications are working.
4. Check Windows Settings.
Another reason why notifications are not working on Discord is improper system configuration. Discord may not be allowed on your system to send notifications, explaining why the feature doesn’t work.
To fix this, see the steps below to change your system settings:
- Press the Windows + I keys on your keyboard to open Windows Settings.
- After that, click on System and access the Notifications & Actions tab.
- Finally, look for Discord and ensure that it’s allowed to send notifications on your system.
Restart your PC afterward and check if the problem is solved.
5. Check Your Server Settings.
Discord allows you to change how you receive notifications for every channel. If you’re not receiving notifications from a certain server or channel, you might want to check your server settings.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, open Discord on your device.
- After that, go to the channel you are not receiving notifications from.
- Lastly, right-click on the channel and ensure that Nothing is not selected.
Once done, go back to Discord to check if the problem is solved.
6. Update Your System.
Your system may have an underlying issue related to push notifications. To rule this out, update your operating system to the latest version possible to patch bugs and glitches.
See the steps below to update Windows:
- On your computer, open the Start Menu and click the Gear icon to access the Settings.
- Next, click on Update & Security.
- Finally, go to Windows Update and click Check for Update.
Relaunch Discord after the update and check if notifications are working.
7. Turn Off Do Not Disturb.
Discord has a focus mode incorporated on their platform. If you change your status to ‘Do Not Disturb’, the app stops sending notifications to your device whenever you receive new messages.
If you want to receive notifications from Discord, change your profile status. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, open the Discord app on your computer.
- After that, click on your Profile on the lower left corner of the window.
- Lastly, choose the Online option.
Once done, ask your friends to message your server to check if the problem is solved.
8. Reinstall Discord.
If notifications are still not working on Discord, we suggest reinstalling the app to ensure everything’s in order. A bug or glitch may have caused some of Discord’s files to get corrupted, which causes issues.
Check out the guide below to delete Discord:
- Launch the Control Panel on your computer.
- Next, click on Uninstall a Program and locate Discord.
- Finally, right-click on the app and choose Uninstall.
Go to Discord’s website afterward and download the latest installer from there.
That ends our guide for fixing notifications if it’s not working on Discord. For your questions and other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to help.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂