Do you keep running into an NW-31453-6 error code on the PS4 or PS5 when accessing an online feature?
There is no doubt that the Playstation Network offers tons of online functionality to the Playstation, including the support for online gaming. Besides, PSN also allows us to communicate with other players without using third-party platforms and enables us to purchase games conveniently online.
However, all these great features become irrelevant when the Playstation Network decides not to work.
When your console runs into problems while connecting to the Playstation Network, it reports an error code that you can search to know what is going on. One of the most common error codes on PSN is the NW-31453-6.
Based on what we know, the NW-31453-6 error code occurs on your PS4 or PS5 when it experiences a delayed server response from PSN.
Today, we are going to show you how you can fix this problem on the Playstation.
Let’s get started!
1. Check PSN Servers.
As we’ve mentioned earlier, the NW-31453-6 error code on the PS4 or PS5 occurs due to delayed server response. Depending on the situation, Sony’s team could be performing system maintenance on PSN’s servers, or it suffered from an unexpected error.
To confirm this, visit Playstation’s dedicated page, where you can view the current status of their services.
If PSN is currently down, the best thing you could do is wait. However, if there’s nothing wrong with Playstation Network’s services, proceed to the rest of the solutions below to address the issue on your end.
2. Restart Your Playstation.
Your Playstation’s system files may not have loaded correctly the first time you turned on your console, which caused network connectivity problems. It’s also possible that your Playstation has run into a temporary bug or glitch during use.
To fix this, simply reboot your Playstation to reload all of its resources.
For PS4 users, here’s what you need to do:
- First, access the Quick Menu by holding down the PS button on your controller.
- Next, open the Power tab.
- Lastly, select Restart PS4 and press the O or X button on your controller to proceed.
If you use a PS5, follow the steps below to restart your console:
- Locate the PS button on your DualSense controller.
- After that, press and hold the PS button until the Quick Menu appears.
- Finally, choose the Restart PS5 option.
Once your Playstation has restarted, try accessing the Playstation Network again to check if the problem is solved.
3. Re-Login Your PSN Account.
You can also try logging out of your PSN account and signing back in after several minutes if you keep encountering the NW-31453-6 when accessing a Playstation Network service. Your user data may have gotten corrupted while in use, which causes the problem.
For PS4 owners, check out the steps below to sign out your account:
- On your PS4, open the Settings.
- After that, go to the Account Management tab.
- Finally, click the Sign Out button.
If you are using a PS5, here’s how you can sign out your account:
- First, open Settings, then go to the User Accounts tab.
- After that, access the Other tab.
- Lastly, select Sign Out to stop your session.
After logging out of your PSN account, wait for at least five minutes before signing back in. Try accessing the Playstation Network again to check if the NW-31453-6 error code would still occur on your PS4 or PS5.
4. Check Your Network.
Another reason for the NW-31453-6 error code on your PS4 or PS5 is a slow or unstable network. If your Playstation cannot establish a stable connection with Playstation Network’s servers, then you could expect problems to occur.
To check if your network connection is really the problem, run a test on your PS4 by going to Settings > Network > Test Internet Connection.
If the result shows that your internet connection is the culprit, reboot your router or modem to re-establish the link with your internet service provider’s servers.
Perform another test afterwards to see if your network is now running correctly. If you continue to experience problems with your connection, get in touch with your service provider and ask them to fix the issue.
5. Change Your DNS.
There are times when your ISP’s default DNS goes offline due to technical issues. When this happens, your network may not perform well, and you could experience problems accessing the internet.
To solve this, we suggest switching to Google’s DNS in the meantime. Check out the steps below to change your Playstation’s DNS configuration:
- First, go to the Settings page of your Playstation.
- After that, access the Network tab and click on the Internet Connection Setup tab.
- Next, click on Use Wi-Fi and choose the Custom option.
- For your IP Address, set it to Automatic and select Do Not Specify for the DHCP Host Name.
- Now, click on the Manual option under DNS Settings and enter the following values:
Primary DNS - 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS - 126.96.36.199
- Lastly, set your MTU Settings to 1456 and select Do Not Use for the Proxy Server.
After switching to Google’s DNS, try accessing PSN to see if the NW-31453-6 error code would still occur on your PS4 or PS5.
6. Update Your PS4 or PS5.
You can also try updating your PS4 or PS5 if you keep seeing the NW-31453-6 error code. Sony releases frequent updates on their consoles, which contain performance improvements and patches to address bugs and other issues.
If you are using a PS4, you can update its software by doing the following:
- On your PS4, go to the Settings and click on System Software Update.
- After that, choose Update Now.
- Finally, click the Accept button.
For PS5 owners, here’s what you need to do to update your system:
- First, go to the Settings and access the System tab.
- After that, access the System Software tab.
- Next, open System Software Update and Settings and click the Update System Software button.
- Lastly, select Update Using Internet to start the process.
Once the update is done, go back to PSN to check if the problem is solved.
7. Report the Problem to Playstation.
If you still encounter the NW-31453-6 error code on your PS4 or PS5, we suggest that you let the professionals take over.
Go to Playstation’s official site and contact their team to report the problem you’ve been experiencing on your Playstation. When asking for help, be sure to provide your account details, the model of your Playstation, and the exact error code that you see on your screen.
This will help their team assess your situation faster and come up with the best possible solution for your problem.
That brings us to the end of our guide for fixing the NW-31453-6 error code on the PS4 or PS5. If you want to clarify something or have other concerns, please leave a comment below, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂