Is push to talk not working on Discord?
Push to talk is a feature on Discord that allows you to control background noise when communicating with your friends on the server. This helps if a lot is going on in your surrounding, like other people talking.
With push to talk, you can isolate these noises and ensure that other users on the servers won’t be bothered.
Unfortunately, push to talk on Discord is not working all the time.
Recently, many users have reported issues with the feature not working on their computers. When this happens, other users won’t be able to pick up what you’re saying, and you’ll wonder why no one is responding.
Based on what we know, this problem is mostly caused by improper key bindings and system configurations. On the other hand, it can also be due to slow network connections and offline servers.
To help you out, we’ve listed down the best solutions for fixing the push to talk feature if it’s not working on Discord.
1. Check Discord Servers.
When you encounter issues with voice chats on Discord, it usually indicates a problem with the servers. You can confirm this by visiting Discord’s status page, where you can view the current situation of Discord’s services.
If there’s an issue with the platform, the only thing you can do is wait for Discord’s team to address the problem.
On the other hand, you can proceed to the following method below if the servers are up and running.
2. Restart Your System.
A temporary bug or glitch may have occurred on your operating system, causing your audio devices to malfunction. To fix this, restart your computer to reload its resources and eliminate errors in the process.
Here’s how you can restart your Windows PC:
- On your computer, click on the Windows icon on the Taskbar to access the Start Menu.
- After that, go to the Power Options tab.
- Finally, click on Restart and wait for your computer to reboot.
Once done, relaunch Discord and check if push to talk is working.
3. Check Your Input Settings.
A previous hardware change on your computer may have caused a bug or glitch on Discord. The app could be using the wrong input device on your system, explaining why push to talk and your microphone are not working.
To fix this, see the steps below to check your input settings on Discord:
- First, open Discord and go to the Settings.
- Now, open the Voice & Video tab.
- Lastly, click on the Input Device tab and choose your microphone.
Go back to your voice channel afterward and check if push to talk is working.
4. Check Your Key Bindings.
When you enable push to talk, you assign a key or button to trigger the feature. If push to talk is not working on Discord, check your key bindings to ensure that you’re using the correct button.
Follow the steps below to check your push to talk settings:
- On Discord, click the Gear icon on the lower left corner of your screen to open the Settings.
- After that, go to Voice & Video and scroll down to Input Mode.
- Finally, confirm the key assigned to push to talk or change it to your preference.
Try using push to talk again in your voice chat to check if the problem is solved.
5. Update Your Audio Drivers.
Another reason why push to talk is not working on Discord is faulty audio drivers. To rule this out, we recommend updating your audio drivers to patch possible bugs and glitches on your system.
Check out the steps below to update your audio drivers:
- On your computer, open the Quick Menu by pressing the Windows + X keys.
- After that, click on Device Manager.
- Now, expand the Audio Inputs and Outputs tab.
- Finally, right-click on your microphone and choose Update Driver.
Restart your system after the update and go back to Discord to check if the problem is solved.
6. Update Windows.
If that didn’t work, try updating your operating system. The version of Windows you’re using may not be compatible with some features on Discord, or it has an underlying issue that causes applications to malfunction.
Here’s how you can update Windows:
- First, open Windows Settings on your computer.
- Next, go to Update & Security and click on Windows Update.
- Lastly, click on Check for Update and follow the prompts to continue.
Once done, restart your computer to apply the changes and go back to Discord. Try using push to talk afterward to check if the problem is solved.
7. Contact Discord.
At this point, we suggest that you report the issue to Discord if none of the solutions above worked for you.
Go to Discord’s Support page and get in touch with their team to ask for assistance. While waiting for a response, you can browse the other guides available on their page and see if you can find alternative solutions.
That ends our guide for fixing push to talk if it’s not working on Discord. If you have clarifications regarding the solutions, please voice them out in the comment section, and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂