Have you accidentally tapped on your Apple TV or Mac when switching your iPhone speakerphone?
A number of users found out about this upon activating their speakerphone during calls in their iPhones.
Now why use Apple TV or Mac as a speakerphone at all? It even doesn’t make sense why it is included on the list of speakerphone options.
Apparently, the issue has been happening since Apple launched the centralized cloud server (iCloud) to manage all your Apple devices. But since not all of these devices are interconnected before, it is easier to pull up the information needed from each device and forward it. One of them is the list of available devices you owned.
This may be an intuitive feature, but some users are not happy about it. Lucky for you, our guide for today is to provide a workaround for this issue. Below are methods on how to remove Apple TV or Mac when using your iPhone speakerphone.
Let’s get started!
- 1. Connect TV or Mac to Other Networks
- 2. Disable Airplay Feature on iPhone
- 3. Disable Calls On Other Devices on iPhone
- 4. Remove iPhone from Apple TV
- 5. Remove iPhone from Mac
- 6. Contact Apple Support
1. Connect TV or Mac to Other Networks.
One of the possible reasons why your iPhone is detecting your Apple TV or Mac is because they are connected to the same network.
A way that you can work around this issue is that if you have another internet source. Try to connect your Apple TV or Mac into another Wi-Fi network.
However, if you don’t have one, you can choose to connect selected devices at a time. It may sound impractical, but that would be one of the ways to make sure that your iPhone will not detect Apple TV or Mac on speakerphone.
If needed to connect devices simultaneously into one Wi-Fi network, check the next method for another workaround.
2. Disable Airplay Feature on iPhone.
There is a feature on your iPhone that will allow you to discover and automatically connect to nearby AirPlay TVs.
This usually pushes the latest video contents from your iPhone to your Apple TV so you can watch it immediately.
Meaning it will have an automatic connection between your iPhone and Apple TV. To disable this feature, it will also disable the connection between the two devices.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Go ahead and launch the Settings on your iPhone running on iOS 13.2 or later versions.
- Then, tap on the General option and tap on Airplay & Handoff feature.
- Finally, tap on Automatically Airplay to TVS and choose Never option to stop automatic call handover from your iPhone to your Apple TV.
Now that you have disabled the automatic Airplay to TVs feature, your Apple TV should not appear on your iPhone’s speakerphone list.
3. Disable Calls On Other Devices on iPhone.
There is a feature on your iPhone which allows you to handle calls from your iPhone and forward it to other registered devices.
This is another possibility why you are seeing your Mac or Apple TV as one of the choices as a speakerphone on your iPhone. To disable this feature means you can also remove the Apple TV and Mac from the list on your iPhone.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Go ahead and launch the Settings on your iPhone.
- Then, tap the Phone option and then tap Calls on Other Devices.
- Finally, you will see a list of devices you allow your calls on, disable the button of the Mac and Apple TV (if applicable) devices.
After removing your Mac and Apple TV on the list of calls on other devices settings, it should not appear on your iPhone’s speakerphone option.
4. Remove iPhone from Apple TV.
You usually connect your Apple TV to your iPhone using Bluetooth connection. Once it is paired, there is a possibility that it might end up on your list of speakerphone options on your iPhone.
So to make sure that won’t happen, you must unpair your Apple TV.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Go ahead and open the Settings of your Apple TV.
- Then, find and choose the User and Accounts option.
- Now, select iCloud and click on the Sign out option.
- After that, navigate back to the Settings screen and choose Remotes and Devices.
- Next, select the Remote App and Devices option.
- Tap on your iPhone name and choose Unpair Device.
- Finally, restart the Apple TV and iPhone.
This method will remove your Apple TV from your iPhone speakerphone.
Now, what if you don’t want to unpair your Apple TV and iPhone?
The alternative way to do it is to reset your Apple TV to its default state and use a different Apple ID.
We advise you to do this if you don’t have an extensive movie library on iTunes and if you are willing to redownload everything on your Apple TV.
5. Remove iPhone from Mac.
However, if you are using a Mac, then it is a different story. Your Mac and iPhone are using a handoff feature where you can easily shift your calls from each iPhone to your Mac.
That means if you enable this feature on your iPhone, it will automatically find a nearby device to handle the call including your Mac.
Here’s how you can disable the Mac in the settings:
- Go ahead and open the Settings of your iPhone.
- Then, scroll down and tap on the Phone option.
- Now, tap on Calls on Other Devices option to launch the setup section.
- After that, toggle the button beside your Mac that is registered to disable it. The button will be grayed out once you disabled the feature.
- Finally, restart your iPhone to refresh the settings.
You can opt to disable the ‘handoff’ feature between your Mac and other iCloud devices if the method above does not work. By doing this on your Mac, you must be prepared to not use the AirDrop feature which conveniently allows you to transfer files.
To do this, just click on the System Preferences on your Mac, then General and uncheck the Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices checkbox.
After you remove Apple TV and Mac from your iPhone, you should not be able to see it when using your iPhone speakerphone.
6. Contact Apple Support.
Doing the above methods on your own can sometimes create confusion, especially for a non-technical person. If you feel you need some assistance with it, you can always call an Apple representative over the phone. They can guide you every step of the way if you cannot find your way to the settings on your iPhone.
But if you don’t want to do it over the phone, you can always get help from Apple-certified technicians at your nearest Apple Store.
But these technicians can only do the configurations of the devices, unlike the Apple developers. If you feel that the speakerphone option on your iPhone needs to change, feel free to send feedback to Apple Developers.
And this wraps up our guide on how to remove Apple TV or Mac when using your iPhone speakerphone. We hope that we were able to help and thank you for your continuous support. If you have questions related to this topic, please feel free to leave a comment below.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂