Does your screen scrolls back to top by itself on iPhone?
Imagine being in the mid of an important task, and your iPhone keeps scrolling up on its own. The phenomenon is known as ghost touch, which renders your device inoperable until the issue is fixed. While many may dispose of their gadget or simply stop using it when their screen scrolls back to top by itself on iPhone, others would want to look for a fix.
Luckily, this guide will provide you with all the solutions below. But before that, it’s better to understand the probable causes behind the automatic screen scrolling. The most common factors include tight iPhone casing, screen protector, internal system problems, faulty display or device assembly resulting from a damaged pin, or broken display settings.
But whether the problem lies in your iPhone hardware or software, we’re here to help you resolve it all. Below, we’ve covered the many solutions that have been said to be effective in most cases. Simply go through them one by one until you fix the automatic scrolling on your device.
So, let’s get started!
1. Clean iPhone Screen.
Sometimes, dirt or dust particles may interfere with the touch of your iPhone’s screen. Moreover, ghost touches are usually generated by the grease on the device’s display. Therefore, the first and foremost step you should take when the screen scrolls back to the top by itself on iPhone is to clean the screen.
Before you go ahead with this method, you need to turn off your iPhone and remove the screen protector and any accessories that may be attached. Then, follow the steps below:
- Start by washing your hands with soap and dry them with a towel.
- Next, find a flat and clean place to put your phone on.
- Spray some cleaning agent on your phone’s screen.
- Afterward, use a microfiber cloth to clean your iPhone body and the screen.
- Once done, use a toothpick dipped in a cleaning solution to clean the edges and the narrow spaces.
2. Remove the Screen Protector and Case.
Most iPhone users put a plastic or glass film on the screen to protect it from any scratches or damage. Although the main objective is to protect the screen and thus the device’s internal components, you’ll be surprised that it can also affect the touch sensor of your display, resulting in automatic scrolling.
Therefore, we advise you to remove the protective film to see if that resolves the issue.
3. Disconnect All Accessories.
Electronic devices may start acting up out of the blue. Since determining the cause is extremely hard, you should not hesitate to question something as undoubtful as external devices.
Many users have noticed that the glitch lies in the accessory and when it’s attached or connected to their iPhone, their screen starts behaving strangely. Therefore, when you witness automatic scrolling on your device, remove or disconnect all external devices to check where the issue exists.
4. Reinstall the Application.
If the screen scrolls back to the top by itself on iPhone in only one application, you might want to consider that the fault is in the app and not in the entire device. This could be occurring due to an unknown glitch in the app, which can be possibly fixed by deleting and reinstalling it.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Firstly, locate the app that you wish to delete from the home screen of your iPhone.
- After that, press and hold on to the app until a few options appear.
- Tap on Remove App.
- From the confirmation pop-up message that appears, select Delete App.
- To reinstall the app, launch the App Store on your device.
- Head to the Search tab from the bottom-right corner and tap on the search bar at the top.
- Type in the app that you want to reinstall.
- Finally, tap on Get next to the app to reinstall it to your iPhone.
5. Change 3D or Haptic Touch Sensitivity.
Their unique features make iPhones better than other smartphones on the market. While other devices have smart screens that you can touch to perform various functions, Apple also plays with the applied pressure and duration of the touch.
The features are called Haptic or 3D Touch. Now, as cool as they sound, you need to gain familiarity to use them for quick functions. But if you don’t or mess up with the settings, things could take a turn. Some users realized they were encountering the automatic scrolling on their iPhone due to misconfigured settings.
Here’s how to play with 3D or Haptic Touch sensitivity to fix the issue:
- First, open the Settings app from your device.
- Next, scroll down and select Accessibility.
- Then, tap on Touch under the Physical and Motor section.
- Select 3D & Haptic Touch.
- Now, turn the toggle on for 3D Touch.
- Lastly, drag the sensitivity slider under the 3D Touch Sensitivity to pick a sensitivity level.
6. Reboot Your Device.
A bug in the system software could also be causing your iPhone screen to glitch. If it’s a minor bug, you can easily eliminate it from the system by rebooting it. This will clear out temporary memory and cache from your device and hopefully resolve the problem.
Here’s how to do it:
- Press and hold the Volume Up button and then release it.
- Next, press and hold the Volume Down button and quickly let it go.
- Now, press and hold the Side button until the Apple logo appears. Then, release it to force restart your device.
7. Update the iOS Version.
Since the said issue is experienced globally, Apple may be officially looking into the matter. As soon as they come up with the fix, they should release an iOS update. Hence, whenever it becomes available, waste no time installing it.
Follow the steps below to check if you have a version update available:
- Launch Settings on your iPhone.
- Select General.
- Tap on Software Updates and wait til your phone checks for any pending updates.
- If there’s one available, tap on Download and Install to update the software to the latest iOS version.
8. Reset All Settings.
In extreme cases, your last resort would be to reset your iPhone. Erasing all settings is an effective solution that should clean the device of its saved memory. However, it will not affect your important data whatsoever.
Below are the steps to reset settings on your iPhone:
- Go to Settings.
- Next, tap on General.
- Scroll to the bottom and choose Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Then, tap on Reset.
- At last, select Reset All Settings.
This is it on how to fix scrolls back to the top by itself on iPhone. Hopefully, the methods mentioned in this guide will have been successful in resolving your issue. If you have further queries, you may utilize the comments section below. We’ll try our best to help you out.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 😊