Looking for a fix for Shortcuts not working on iOS 15?
One of the revamped features in iOS 14 was the Shortcuts app that helps make your user experience more personalized. With the release of iOS 15, it was supposed to get even better, not just in its functionality but also aesthetics.
But like every other Apple feature, Shortcuts had its fair share of bugs as well. Of course, these will be fixed in the later versions of updates by Apple, but we do need to find solutions ourselves for the time being.
The most common problems encountered by iPhone users are occasional crashes and the “no shortcut in use” error. If you’re in a similar situation, this guide is all you need. We have compiled a list of solutions to assist you in dealing with the issue. Read on to find out what you can do to make use of the Shortcuts app again.
So let’s jump right in!
1. Restart Your Device.
The most basic method you should try whenever you face a glitch in the system or an app is to force-restart your device. This helps in removing any temporary errors by force-stopping all ongoing sessions.
To do it, follow these steps:
- Press and hold down the power button and the volume down button.
- When the power off slider appears, drag it across the screen.
- Once powered off, long-press the power button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
Go to the Shortcuts app and check if it works now.
2. Force Quit the Shortcuts App.
If the Shortcuts app is not working on iOS 15, you should try force quitting the app and restarting it. This method has worked for several other errors, such as Live Location Not Working on iOS 15.
Follow these simple steps to do it:
- Double press the Home button to launch App Switcher.
- Swipe up the Shortcuts app to close it.
- Launch Shortcuts again from the home screen.
3. Offload Shortcuts.
Offloading the Shortcuts app is another possible method that may work in your case. This is because many errors arise due to excessive stored data. Offload is an Apple-specific feature that will remove the app’s program data without affecting the documents and settings associated with it.
Here’s how you go about this method:
- First, launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Next, go to General.
- Then, tap on iPhone Storage.
- Scroll down and find the Shortcuts app, and tap on it.
- Lastly, tap on the Offload App option.
4. Clean Your Device’s Storage.
Similarly, you should free up the device’s space as that helps in resolving various system-related errors.
Here’s how you should do it:
- To start, open the Settings app.
- Then, go to General and select iPhone Storage.
- After that, choose any app you don’t require and tap on Delete App.
5. Recreate the Shortcut.
In most cases, the shortcuts you’ve created on the Shortcuts app on iOS 14 fail to continue working properly once you upgrade your device to iOS 15. Hence, it is advisable to delete old automation and recreate the shortcuts again from scratch.
First, you need to remove shortcuts by following the steps below:
- Begin by launching the Shortcuts app on your device.
- At the top right corner, tap on Select.
- Now, select the shortcut that’s not working correctly and tap on Delete.
- Confirm your action by tapping on Delete Shortcut again.
Once done, it’s time for you to recreate the shortcut. Follow the steps below to do so:
- On the Shortcuts app, tap on the + icon at the top right corner of your screen.
- Then, tap on Add Action or choose an app from the suggestions below.
- Give a name to the shortcut and tap on the cross icon to go back. This shortcut is added successfully and will appear on the app screen.
6. Try Running Official/Trusted Shortcuts.
Since running shortcuts has become a major part of its release, many users download third-party shortcuts from the internet. This usually leads to an untrusted shortcut error on your device.
For this reason, you should try running a default shortcut found under the “Starter Shortcuts” list in the Shortcuts app. If you encounter no error while doing so, the problem isn’t in the app but rather in the unofficial shortcut.
7. Fix Clipboard Permission Issues.
Apple strongly restricts apps from reading your private clips. Due to this, many users reported the clipboard feature not properly functioning with the Shortcuts app. To resolve this issue, add the “Get Clipboard” command at the end of your shortcut.
8. Reinstall the Shortcuts App.
Another remedy for the Shortcuts app not working on iOS 5 is deleting the app and reinstalling it. Fortunately, Apple doesn’t force its users to keep the add-on apps, and therefore, you can delete them any time you want. But you must keep in mind that this will also remove all app data.
Here’s how to do it:
- Long-press the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- When the options appear, tap on Remove App.
- Then, tap on Delete App and again select Delete to continue.
- Now, go to the App Store, type Shortcuts in the search bar, and tap on Get.
- Finally, wait for the installation to complete and launch the app.
You’ll need to recreate the previous shortcuts, and the app will start working normally again.
9. Update/Downgrade the iOS Version.
Since the problem is usually in the iOS version running on your device, it is recommended to either update to the latest version (if available) or downgrade to iOS 14.
To update, follow these steps:
- On your Settings app, go to General.
- Then select Software Update.
- Let your iPhone check whether there’s any update available, then tap on Download & Install.
Ensure your device is connected to a strong Wi-Fi network and has around 98% charge before getting started.
The method of downgrading your iPhone to iOS 14 is quite complicated. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, download the specific version on your computer.
- Then, put your iPhone into recovery mode.
- Connect your device to the computer.
- Finally, load up the iOS 14 file to run it on your system.
10. Reset iPhone to Factory Settings.
If none of the above methods worked, then this is your last resort. Resetting to default settings poses a risk of losing data, but it will terminate any system bugs causing the Shortcuts app to not work on iOS 15.
Follow the instructions below to do it:
- Open Settings and tap on General.
- Then, scroll down and select Transfer or Reset iPhone.
- Tap on Erase All Content & Settings to factory reset your iPhone.
- When prompted, enter your passcode and confirm your action by tapping on Erase iPhone.
This was all in our guide about how to fix Shortcuts not working on iOS 15. We hope the problem was effectively solved. If you want to share your experience with us or give more tips to other readers, head to the comments section below. Also, bookmark Saintlad to stay up to date on any new postings.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂