Can’t figure out why Slack notifications are not working on your device?
In any messaging app, notifications are one of the most vital features. No one would use a messaging platform with no notifications feature, right?
Unfortunately, users have been reporting an issue with Slack’s notification not working.
This problem can be a problem not only for the users but for Slack as well. Being a business communication platform, Slack could start losing clients if this issue is not addressed immediately.
If you’re here, you are probably annoyed right now because you’ve missed an important announcement from your team or failed to respond to your manager’s query.
Whichever the case is, the notification issue on Slack is a problem that should be resolved immediately.
Today, we’ve decided to make a guide for fixing Slack notifications if it’s not working on your device.
Let’s get right into it!
1. Check Slack’s Status.
If something’s not right with Slack, the first thing you should do is check the status of its servers. You can do this by visiting their system status page, where you can view the current situation of Slack’s servers and features.
Since you cannot address server-related issues on your end, if Slack’s servers are down, the only option you have is to wait for their team to resolve the problem.
On the other hand, you can proceed to the rest of the solutions below to fix the issue on your end if Slack’s servers are working.
2. Restart Your Device.
Before changing your device’s configuration, try restarting its software first. This way, you can ensure that there are no bugs or glitches on your system and all of its resources are correctly loaded.
For Windows users, see the steps below to restart your computer:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key to access the Start Menu.
- After that, go to the Power tab.
- Finally, click on Restart to reboot your system.
If you are on a macOS device, you can restart it by doing the following:
- First, click on the Apple logo at the top left corner of your screen.
- Next, choose the Restart option.
- Lastly, click on Restart again to confirm your action.
On Android devices, here’s what you need to do:
- First, locate the Power button on your Android device.
- Now, hold it down until the options menu appears on your display.
- Lastly, tap on Restart to reboot your device.
If you are using an iOS device, check out the guide below to restart it:
- On your device, access the Assistive Touch menu and go to Device.
- After that, tap on More.
- Finally, choose the Restart option to reboot your system.
Once done, observe your device and see if you are now receiving notifications from Slack.
3. Check Your Internet Connection.
You may not be receiving notifications from Slack due to a slow internet connection. If your network is not running correctly, Slack won’t be able to fetch data from the servers, explaining why you’re not getting new messages.
To verify if your network is the problem, perform a speed test using Fast.com to measure your connection’s upload and download bandwidth.
If you’ve confirmed that the problem is on your network, reboot your modem or router to re-establish the connection with your internet service provider.
Once done, run another test on your network to check if the problem is solved. If you continue to experience network-related issues, please contact your ISP and ask them to fix their service.
4. Check Your Notification Settings.
Your device’s notification settings may not be configured correctly, which causes Slack’s notification not to work.
For Windows, you can check your notification settings by doing the following:
- First, go to Windows Settings and access the System tab.
- After that, click on Notifications & Actions from the sidebar.
- Lastly, find Slack from the list and make sure that its notifications are enabled.
On macOS, see the steps below to manage your notification preferences:
- On your main screen, click the Apple logo on the top left corner of your display and select System Preferences.
- Now, go to the Notifications tab and select Slack.
- Finally, set the alert style to Banner or Alerts and ensure that Allow Notifications for Slack is enabled.
Once done, ask one of your team members to send you a message and see if you’ll receive a notification.
5. Check Windows Focus Assist (Windows).
Windows has a Focus Assist feature that allows you to filter notifications going through your computer. This can be helpful if you are working or gaming and don’t want to be disturbed by messages and other notifications.
If Slack notifications are not working on your device, check if Windows Focus Assist is enabled.
- First, access Windows Settings and click on System.
- After that, go to Focus Assist.
- Lastly, make sure that the feature is disabled on your computer.
After turning off Focus Assist, check if notifications are now working on Slack.
6. Check Do Not Disturb Settings (macOS).
For macOS users, you can check the Do Not Disturb feature on your computer and make sure that it’s disabled. This works similar to Windows Focus Assist, which blocks unnecessary notifications from your computer.
Here’s how you can disable Do Not Disturb on macOS:
- On your main screen, click on the Menu button located at the top-right corner of your display.
- Next, click on Notifications.
- Finally, find the Do Not Disturb option and turn it off.
Go back to Slack afterward and check if notifications are now working.
7. Update Slack.
If Slack notifications are still not working, we suggest updating the app on your device. This will patch any errors that may have occurred on Slack in between updates.
For Windows and macOS users, follow the steps below to update Slack:
- On your computer, access the Slack app and click on the Menu button.
- After that, hover your cursor over to the Help tab.
- Finally, click the Check for Updates button.
If you are using an Android device, you can update Slack by doing the following:
- First, open the Google Play Store on your device.
- Now, tap on your Profile and go to My Apps and Devices.
- Lastly, go to Updates Available and press the Update button beside Slack to install the latest version of the app.
On iOS devices, you can update Slack by following the steps below:
- Access the App Store on your device and tap on your Profile.
- Next, scroll down and find the Slack app from the list.
- Finally, tap the Update button next to Slack to install the latest version.
Once done, check if Slack notifications are now working on your device.
8. Report the Problem to Slack.
At this point, you’ve done everything you can on your end to address the issue with Slack’s notification.
If Slack notifications are still not working on your device, visit Slack’s Help Center and contact their customer support to report the issue. You can also browse the other guides on their website while waiting for a response and see if you can find possible solutions.
This ends our guide for fixing Slack notifications if they are not working on your device. If you have questions, please leave a comment below, and we’ll do our best to answer them as soon as possible.
If this guide helped you, please share it. 🙂